Keep it fresh

Options
Any tips, tricks, ideas on how to keep produce longer? Veggies have become about 80% of my diet, but they always starts to go bad before I can eat them all. If I just buy less at a time, then I run out and have to make trips to the store every couple days. So frustrating! Any thoughts?

Replies

• jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with ya - I'm interested to hear suggestions...
  • Sunshine_Girlie
    Sunshine_Girlie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Have you tried those Debbie Meyer Green Bags? They used to sell them on t.v.
  • sarahs440
    sarahs440 Posts: 405
    Options
    those green bags work!!
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    The green bags do work to a point. But the truth is, you stand a better chance at a fresh, varied diet if you shop every couple of days. Somethings I buy in bulk, like onions, carrots, and celery, but otherwise I seldom buy more than a couple of days worth of fruits and vegetables at a time.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried the green bags. I remember seeing the infomercials for those. I may need to look into that. Without a reliable mode of transportation, getting to the store is a challenge right now. So shopping every couple days is a huge pain the behind!
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    I do some things frozen - berries, veggies like corn, peas, carrots, broccoli - you could either buy it frozen or buy fresh and freeze yourself.
  • eorourke23
    Options
    I buy frozen too, some fresh produce takes 2-3 weeks from field to plate and that is why it goes off so quickly, I have researched this and they say that frozen is in some cases has more nutrients as these depleat in the time it lies on the shelves. :flowerforyou: I have also found that birdseye is defo the best tasting. :wink:
  • DeannaOnline
    DeannaOnline Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My favorite fruit and veggie storage tips: (from ehow)

Be careful what fruits and vegetables you store together. Some produce releases ethylene gas. This gas speeds up the decay process of ethylene sensitive vegetables and fruit. Gas releasers that should be refrigerated separately include apples, apricots, cantaloupe, figs, and honeydew. Gas releasers that should not be refrigerated but should be stored separately include avocados, unripe bananas, nectarines, peaches, pears, plums and tomatoes.

Buy a gadget that absorbs ethylene gas and can be put in the crisper drawer. You can also buy produce bags that absorb ethylene gas and allow for breathing.
  • NOLA_Meg
    NOLA_Meg Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    With some fruit, like berries, don't rinse them until you use them instead of rinsing the whole package and putting it in the fridge- this can help them last longer.

Also with spinach, herbs, celery, onion- after you've had them a couple days, freeze part to use in recipes later.

With tomatos, you can make a puree and freeze it.

If you eat asparagus, store them in a bunch standing on end not lying flat.