How do I keep losing weight while on holiday?!

Options
I'm going to France for 6 days and want to keep losing weight (or at least maintaining my current weight!) while I'm away, but I'm stressing out about it because I literally can't remember a holiday I've been on when I haven't gained!

Has anyone got any tips?

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,416 Member
    Options
    I so want to see the tips you get. We are going on our "great Southwest adventure" this summer for 2 weeks and while we'll be hiking TONS, I'll be eating every meal out and I'll be having snacks while out on the trails. (wish it was France for 6 days!)
  • flinchyny
    flinchyny Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Keep very active!
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I think the only way to be sure you keep up your weight loss would be to make sure you stay in your calorie goal. I don't know how easy it will be in France but I would think most of what you eat will be either on the site or possible to work out the calories for it.
  • igora_soma
    igora_soma Posts: 486
    Options
    Be aware of what you're eating! There is a lot of butter in French food (which is why it's so delicious). BUT you will be walking A LOT and don't discount that. The reason why French people tend to be thin is because they are walking all of the time and their lunches are bigger than their dinners. Just remember to enjoy their culture and yummy food, but make sure to drink plenty of water and walk.

Bon voyage et amuses toi bien!!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    dont plan to lose, but plan hard to maintain. You will need to be active, and definitely don't allow yourself to eat things you don't normally eat. Stay away from the pastry. Lots of protein, fruit and veggies.
  • pretentiouskate
    Options
    Honestly, how often do you go to France?

Watch what you eat most days, let yourself have a couple of yummy meals and some cheese/wine/pastry/yummyness, and WALK!

You'll be able to tell the difference between a healthy meal and an unhealthy meal ... stick with fruit, lean protein, and lots of veggies for most meals.

Also splitting restaurant meals, or just ordering appetizers, can work for cutting calories. (Obviously eating a salad without cheese/croutons/dressing by yourself is better than splitting an entire plate of fried food.)
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Just keep logging those calories, even if you don't get them exact. But also give yourself an actual holiday. If I were you, I'd aim for maintenance calories during your holiday, then try to keep active with walking, hiking, site-seeing, that kind of thing.

If you can't use MFP in France, then keep a small notebook with you and write down what you've eaten. You can log them later, when you arrive home. Even if that's too tedious for you, writing down the food you're eating should help keep you from overeating, even if you don't know the calories.

Also, aim for grilled foods, ask for the butter on the side, etc.

I find that if I plan ahead, and work out how I'm going to tackle eating without going over, I'll do better.

Your goal should be to maintain. Although, as expensive as I hear food is in France, you may lose no matter what! :)
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    anytime I go to Europe, especially Italy (i go often) I NEVER diet. I eat their amazing cheese, pizza, pasta and more! Its vacation afterall. But I always come back a few pounds lighter! Its all about staying active and walking walking walking! :)
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I just spent 8 days in Mazatlan and didn't gain an ounce. I ran every day (in France it might be easier to walk), ate a very healthy breakfast (usually oatmeal and milk with fruit or a poached egg on whole wheat toast with fruit). I then made sure one of my other meals was also very healthy. Usually this was lunch, but not always. The last meal I looked over the menu, made a couple choices based on what looked REALLY good. Surprisingly, they were also some of the healthiest on the menu. Guess I'm learning how to do this right! We also walked almost everywhere we went, so it was more calorie burning. I mentally kept track of what I was eating and the calories. I knew I was close every day. I enjoyed myself, didn't focus on it, but kept it in mind. For me, this made the vacation enjoyable, and the results on the scale wonderful!