New here!

Options
Hey there!

Soooo, I'm new. I'm here because I went to the DR. the other day and she told me that I am OFFICIALLY overweight for my height now. I knew that I gained weight, but I wasn't really worried about it because I knew I was still within the healthy weight limit for my height.

I'm 5'10" and 178 lbs. at the moment.

My goal is to get back down to 150 lbs. where I was before I moved and got married.

I have serious issues with getting motivated to start in the first place. I tell myself that I'm going to start EVERY WEEK! And once I start, I have an extremely hard time sticking to what I started.

If anyone has any words of encouragement or advice on how to stick it out, I would appreciate it!

Replies

• teelt13
    teelt13 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!! I'm just getting started myself..but so far this site has been awesome with helping me get motivated and holding me accountable to stay motivated. My only advice is "one day at a time". The weight didn't come on overnight (even if it feels like it did :-) and it won't come off overnight (unfortunately). I wish you lots of luck! Feel free to friend me if you'd like!
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The only words of wisdom I have is that you can't even look a week ahead. Start right now, not tomorrow, not next Monday...right now and then go day by day or 1/2 day by 1/2 day...whatever you need. And take your time....the more you hurry the more behind you'll get :laugh: BEHIND...get it :laugh:
  • feisma
    feisma Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time...and if that's too hard, just take it one hour at a time! I certainly don't have all the answers and I'm sure there are many others who have gotten a lot further than me on this journey BUT I have figured out a few things so far:
    1- don't beat yourself up over your "mistakes"...we all have days where we go over on calories, don't get a workout in, etc. Just don't treat it as permission to throw in the towel. Keep getting back on track and eventually it becomes a whole lot easier
    2- find something to motivate you...I am training for some races (running) because if I have something to work toward, I have a lot easier time staying with the program.
    3- make a point of encouraging at least one other person every single day...whether it's on here, at work, at home...you get the point :smile:
    4- figure out what got you where you are...do you eat because you're bored? Or are you too overscheduled/busy that you haven't been prioritizing making time to be healthy and workout...unless you figure out what the problem is, the solution will always elude you.

So there you are, my two cents for what it's worth. Welcome aboard and if you need encouragement, etc, feel free to friend me :flowerforyou:
  • ShiloughCoy
    Options
    Motivation? We all have things that motivate us. The problem is STAYING motivated when the scale isn't moving as fast downward as it did upward :) Just take it moment by moment and realize that all good things take time, lasting love, gourmet food, truely fine scotch, and weight loss!
  • danicanillo
    danicanillo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the replies everyone! I'm still learning to navigate the site, but I will definitely figure out how to friend people haha. I'll need it!
  • ALW65
    ALW65 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Keep working you're way through the site...there's a lot of motivational posts/pictures on here that are very helpful. It's amazing to see how many thousands of times some posts are viewed. There are a lot of us out there all in the same boat paddling upstream, but we'll get there!