Question for you runners!!!!

Options
GiGi76
GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
Ok for you runners.... how do you improve your speed??? I ran my 1st 5k this week in 29:47..... i have another in April and would love to make it in under 28mins!!! ;-) Any advice is appreciated!!!!

Replies

• RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    look up hal higdon's website. he has all kinds of training schedules.... to improve speed, you need to do run workouts (speed drills, 400's etc.)
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I alternate speedwork and tempo runs once a week...check out runnersworld.com smart coach to set your paves and distances!
  • paigemang♥
    Options
    Interval training, I'm doing it to get my 7-8 min mile down. I sprint for 30 seconds then rest for 60 (rest meaning light jog). I do this for 3 miles on my non-long run days. :happy:
  • nessieslc
    nessieslc Posts: 34
    Options
    I also do Interval repeats
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It depends.
    To gain speed, doing speed workouts seems obvious, BUT I didnt start noticing big gains in speed until I built up a huge endurance base.
    And part of that base was running tempo runs, or steady state runs that pushed my limits of comfort. Running "comfortably hard" was how I've seen it described in books. I've always been fast but could never carry that over distance, until I started pushing myself and running much farther than a 5K distance.
    Over the course of training for a marathon, I dropped 2-3 minutes off my 5K from just a year ago, and will probably be faster by a minute or so compared to my times when i was young and "in shape".
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jesster64
    jesster64 Posts: 109
    Options
    Ok for you runners.... how do you improve your speed??? I ran my 1st 5k this week in 29:47..... i have another in April and would love to make it in under 28mins!!! ;-) Any advice is appreciated!!!!

How long did you train before running your first 5k? I registered for my first one in june.
  • ecp2698
    ecp2698 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Gina, how often do you go running? With me, the more I practice, the easier it gets and once I realize I am just cruising along, I try to pick up the pace and see how long I can run at a faster pace.. kinda hard to explain, and just what I do on my own, never been trained or anything like that..
    I know you do some p90x workouts, do you do plyo? I am asking because I really feel like the workouts I have done from p90x has helped me recently in my running, I have had the fastest times just in the past 6 months than ever before, and I have been a runner for a while, before p90x. I feel like I have more endurance and stronger legs because of it.

I agree with interval training, it helps to get your body used to running at a faster pace, it helps with a great kick at the end of a race which is important, too. I bet you can and will make your goal, you have the determination and the stamina for it! :)
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Weight training and a good circuit workout is what did it for me...blasted oodles of time off my marathon (5 1/2hr in 2009 to 4hr in 2010)...and changing up the running routine too (e.g. intervals, tempo, hills, not running the same course day after day, etc.)
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Consistency is n.1
    Whatever allowes to maintain consistency will get you faster...

1) Volume is ok, but if it gets you injured you loose Consistency
    2) Speed work too if you can tollerate... so start easy and build over a period of time or you may get injured...
    3) Tempo runs (race pace but for shorter distances than race - start on 5 min and move up in time slowly)
    4) Rest, stretch, massage, good nutrition, hydration and fun (challenge, enjoyment, change of scenary etc)... whatever works as long as... (you might guess) it helps maintaining Consistency! ;-)

Good luck
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I second, HIIT. I improved my time immensely by doing this on my non long running days. I also improved my stamina.

I'm now incorporating some resistance training and haven't been at it quite long enough to see the effects of it, but I'm sure it will help.
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It depends.
    To gain speed, doing speed workouts seems obvious, BUT I didnt start noticing big gains in speed until I built up a huge endurance base.

And THAT is indeed the answer!!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Actually for newbie runners I would NOT recommend too much speed work because it leads to overstriding and it's much harder impact.

CV fitness builds very quickly. Musular-skeletal strength and bone density does not!!

The reason so many newbie runners get injured is because they're trying to be clever sprinting around, doing hill reps etc when they are nowhere near ready to do so and then complain about shin splints etc etc.

Just start doing regular runs 4 days a week with one LSR on the weekend building that 10% a week in distance run approx 1-1.5min-mile below race pace and start building a decent base.

Speed will come.