Who works out on an empty stomach?

Options
2»

Replies

• kimeister
    kimeister Posts: 212
    Options
    I just cannot eat prior to a workout. I feel weighed down and usually get nauseous halfway through the workout no matter if I eat 30 mins, 60 mins or whatever prior to my workout. After telling this to my personal trainer, he recommended I sip -tiny sips!- a half cup of chocolate soy milk before my workout no matter what time of day it is. It's full of protein and carbs, and because it's already a liquid, my body doesn't have as much processing to do to turn it into energy. It works like a charm for me, and hey, a great excuse to have chocolate milk!
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I find that I can do so much better for my workout if I have something in my tum before. If I work out in the morning, I eat a bowl of cereal before and some eggs afterwards. I haven't had troubles working out, and I don't have so many calories left to work in over the day.
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I just cannot eat prior to a workout. I feel weighed down and usually get nauseous halfway through the workout no matter if I eat 30 mins, 60 mins or whatever prior to my workout. After telling this to my personal trainer, he recommended I sip -tiny sips!- a half cup of chocolate soy milk before my workout no matter what time of day it is. It's full of protein and carbs, and because it's already a liquid, my body doesn't have as much processing to do to turn it into energy. It works like a charm for me, and hey, a great excuse to have chocolate milk!

Will definitely have to try this.. sounds like the perfect compromise for me! And chocolate milk to boot, lol!
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I work out early in the morning, mainly because if it I don't I probably won't do it later due to my schedule. Since it's getting warmer, I'll starting adding a walk at lunch time too. I usually drink water and eat a piece of fruit on the way to work then eat breakfast when I get there. I find this works for me and the hard work I put in early in the day keeps me motivated to eat healthy during the day. :smile:
  • mullichicken25
    mullichicken25 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    this is something that gets discussed a lot and its something i've done some reading on in the past

this is my basic understanding:

1.) heavier lifting on an empty stomach is bad news bears
    2.) cardio on an empty stomach in the AM is usually regarded as a pretty good thing as you burn off all the "leftover" calories in your system
    3.) you run the risk losing muscle mass. Theres a whole bunch of science-speak behind this, and i recoment a lot mroe reading on the subjet, but my understanding is that after a certain point your body may begin to burn its own muscle, which will take weight off for sure, but not the kind you want to lose
    4.) whatever is most comfortable to you is best. In the grand scheme of things we're talking about minor differences that wont make or break you.

Thats just my understanding, and i am very, very far from an expert so if someone wants to jump in here and elaborate or correct me, by all means, please do

good luck
  • CaraRadz
    CaraRadz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I generally workout on an empty stomach. I usually go to the gym either first thing in the morning or right after work (before dinner). This approach works for me because I tend to get really nauseous if I workout after eating, so for me it has nothing to do with trying to increase weight loss... just don't want to puke! :)
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity at 4 in the morning, so there's no way I'm waking up at 3:30 just to get something in my stomach. I haven't experienced any dizziness/low blood sugar side effects so I suppose I'm okay. I do drink a cup of chocolate milk with a scoop of protein powder mixed in right after (no more than 10-15 minutes after) I'm done and then I'll eat breakfast usually when I get to work, a few hours later.
  • lbetancourt
    lbetancourt Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    If I am working out in the morning, especially, on my long (7-9) mile runs.... I'm running on an empty stomach. But, I do make sure I hydrate myself the night before & stay that way during.
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    If I eat before I run, it might come back up, so I don't eat for early workouts (get up at 6am, out the door by 6h10, then eat breakfast at work around 7h30-8am). For the rest of my workouts(not early morning), I make sure to leave 2 hours between eating and doing my workout, feels better.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Monday through Friday I workout on an empty stomach simply because of timing. I take levoxyl and you have to take it on an empty stomach and wait 1 hour after taking it to eat. So, I get up, take it, workout, eat breakfast and go to work. On the weekends, I take it, go back to sleep, eat breakfast, wait 45 minutes to an hour and then workout. I feel like I have more energy for my workouts on the weekends.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    this is something that gets discussed a lot and its something i've done some reading on in the past

this is my basic understanding:

1.) heavier lifting on an empty stomach is bad news bears
    2.) cardio on an empty stomach in the AM is usually regarded as a pretty good thing as you burn off all the "leftover" calories in your system
    3.) you run the risk losing muscle mass. Theres a whole bunch of science-speak behind this, and i recoment a lot mroe reading on the subjet, but my understanding is that after a certain point your body may begin to burn its own muscle, which will take weight off for sure, but not the kind you want to lose
    4.) whatever is most comfortable to you is best. In the grand scheme of things we're talking about minor differences that wont make or break you.

Thats just my understanding, and i am very, very far from an expert so if someone wants to jump in here and elaborate or correct me, by all means, please do

good luck

I have heard the same thing, that you should eat before doing lifting. But, I just can't do it with my schedule.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    ok I did Turbo Fire on empty this morning and I made it through I didn't feel sick or hungry so i think I will try to do it this way in the mornings. Thanks Again everyone!
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    I run on an empty stomach, not necessarily by choice or because I burn more. If I eat first, I get cramps. I found I can drink something (smoothie or chocolate milk) but no food. I don't think it is healthy, but it is what I have to do. I do sprint triathlons and runs without eating first. Thank goodness they are early morning events.

Wow, you do sprint triathlons on a completely empty stomach? I do short runs or bike rides first thing after I get up but I would have to have some carbs for energy to do a sprint tri. A banana would suffice for me. Have you experimented? I would be interested to see if you could perform better with some added energy.
  • michelec64
    michelec64 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I work out on a empty stomach but that's only because when I'm done I immediately have to get ready for work. I don't get to have breakfast until I'm at the office a few hours later. For me I don't think it would make a difference either way in terms of losing weight.