So....I want to do a 5k walk. Any training suggestions, sto

tssa
tssa Posts: 93 Member
edited September 25 in Fitness and Exercise
First off, I 'm a big girl. One of my goals is to COMPLETE a 5k walk. I've set a goal to participate in a 5k walk in July. I started today working out on the treadmill. Does anybody have any advice or success stories with doing a 5k walk?

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Just keep walking a little more each day, until you can comfortably walk 3.1 miles. :smile: And congrats on setting a new goal!
  • Gennawest
    Gennawest Posts: 171
    look up c25k.com. That was one of my goals too. But at 258 lbs (when i started), i never thought I would be able too. HOWEVER, i can now run for 25 min straight. lets not get it twisted- not a sprint, but i can get all 212 lbs of me up on that treadmill and jog for 25 min straight. it is a great program. modify it to fit your needs. good luck.
  • eversits
    eversits Posts: 177 Member
    I just did a 5K last Saturday and I did it without any training. It was a run/walk 5K, so I was not scared of walking. When I got tired I speed walked... If you keep working out and walk on a daily basis, I think you will definitely be fine! You will be surprised how many people walk the whole thing... So you will not be alone. My fear was that I was going to be the last one, but it is amazing what a group of people can make you feel. I just wanted to run and walk faster...and it was very easy because of the people surronding me!!! Good luck!!!!!!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    You can do it! I did the Komen 3 day/60 mile walk a few years ago. I am also a big girl and I saw women twice my size complete that walk. If we can do that, you can walk 3.1 miles. Walk a little bit everyday and increase your mileage slowly with some longer walks a couple of times a week.

If you would like to add me, I would support you as you train for your walk. Good luck!
  • there's a lot of programs online with instructions, like distances and how fast to start off, they're called: couch to 5k's. Just google it and you should find a good one.
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    I would recommend to also walk outside, don't do it all on a treadmill. I can easily do it on a treadmill but just started the C2 5K and did the 1st day outside and it kicked my butt...so different when you have the terrain to offset your momentum.
  • tssa
    tssa Posts: 93 Member
    Thanks to everybody for the advice and ideas.

I really appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.