Sugar from fruits

Options
I go over my sugars almost everyday. It's because of the fruits I eat and put in my protein shakes. I've heard it's not as bad for you because it's not refined sugars and it doesn't cause a spike in blood sugar and insulin like refined carbs do.... Anyone know if there's any truth to that. I'd hate to have to give up the fruit!

Replies

• JAG1224
    JAG1224 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i go over on sugar too because of fruit so i'm eager to hear the responses. :)
  • MissbusyLizzie
    MissbusyLizzie Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Same here ladies! :) It is a daily necessity... I can't give it up...
  • forrestmoore
    Options
    Sugars from fruits contain glycogen where as sugars from candy bars contain glucose.

This all means that the sugars from glycogen are an okay sugar to have because they slowly break down, preventing the 'sugar high' and are much better at sustaining fullness after eating than compared to sugar from a candy bar or another sugary processed snack.

I wouldn't worry about the sugars from fruits, although the sugars from candy and such aren't too good for you! I hope this helps!
  • forrestmoore
    Options
    Trust me I love apples, pears, and many other fruits and eat many of them every day!
  • Sarah70183
    Options
    bump
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I had the same question not too long ago. I guess what sounded good to me is to make sure to eat in balance of more veggie than fruit. Dont worry too much of going over your sugar if its healthy sugar specially if you exercise too.
  • anetamlynski
    Options
    I have read on numerous occasions to keep the fruit to a maximum of 2 a day. I try to stick to that rule.
  • Justin741
    Justin741 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    of course if you are going to have lots of sugar you want to have them from fruit. However, the high sugar content in sugars do cause a spike in your blood sugars. That is what our Dietitian told my wife and I. My wife is preggo & on a glucose restricted diet because she is glucose intolerant & they told her no fruit in the morning because how it can cause a jump in your blood sugar.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    fruits are not bad, there just bad if your trying to get a flat belly cuz of the bloat and gas
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Sugars from fruits contain glycogen where as sugars from candy bars contain glucose.

This all means that the sugars from glycogen are an okay sugar to have because they slowly break down, preventing the 'sugar high' and are much better at sustaining fullness after eating than compared to sugar from a candy bar or another sugary processed snack.

I wouldn't worry about the sugars from fruits, although the sugars from candy and such aren't too good for you! I hope this helps!

Unfortunately this is untrue. Glycogen is simply long chain glucose strands held in a water solution in the liver and at some muscles sites. The body creates glycogen in the liver (mainly) from glucose molecules and holds them as storage and to a small degree distributes them to muscles for fast acting energy.

In truth, fruits contain both sucrose and fructose (different fruits have different percentages, berries are generally considered the best for this), the difference between added sugar and natural sugar is in the fibrous material that makes up the fruit, and the way fructose is broken down in the body. It is true that you probably won't spike the blood sugar when eating fruit. The blood sugar levels will go up, but not dramatically. Fiber forces the body to work harder to get at the sugar, making it take longer and slowing down the process of break down of the natural sugars in the body. All sugars we eat need to be converted to glucose before our body can use them as energy; so the slower we do that, the more even the distribution of energy (over time) from our food. Add to that the fact that fructose requires a more complex process to break down than sucrose and requires more time, and you have the main reasons why fruit sugar is better than added sugar (sucrose or HFCS). Any time you deliver a sugar without solid food, it's probably not as good for you, that includes fruit juices, HFCS, sucrose, or meal replacements. Fruit juice DOES have some benefits, namely you at least receive vitamins and some minerals, so there's a somewhat mitigating aspect of them, but that only really helps when taken in small quantities. Gorge on grape juice and you're still going to receive massive amounts of sugar in a short period, not a good thing. Regardless of the amount of anti-oxidants or vitamin C in it.
  • bbush18
    bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Sugar is stored in the body all the same! Eating fruit is great for you, but just like anything else, eat it in moderation and watch your serving size. There are plenty of different ways to get the vitamins you need...many vegetables are just as good as the fruits.
  • dross327
    dross327 Posts: 7
    Options
    High Fiber/Low-Glycemic Carbohydrates
    High in fiber, these are always your best fruit carbohydrate choices anytime of the day.

Blackberries, blueberries, boysenberries, elderberries, gooseberries, loganberries, raspberries, strawberries, lemons, limes, granny smith apples.
  • leafyq
    leafyq Posts: 21
    Options
    As a diabetic who checks her sugar five times a day, maybe I can offer some insight into the effect fruit has on your body!

After a meal during which I have lean meat and green veggies, my blood sugar will hit about 150.
    After a candy bar, my sugar will hit 180.
    After a meal with a few servings of fruit, my sugar will hit about 170.
    After just eating a serving of fruit, my sugar will stay at about 150, but for a longer period of time.

Considering most doctors feel that 160 and up is getting into the danger zone for a diabetic, fruit is definitely better than candy. The sugar in fruit simply does not affect your body in the same way. It is a longer effect, but not as dire.
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    fruits are healthy. the end.
  • aeckels616
    aeckels616 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Some fruits are better or worse than others. For a comprehensive list, check out a glycemic index chart and stick with fruits that have a "low" glycemic index. Apples and berries are like superfoods, you cant go wrong there. Bananas, on the other hand, have "good" and "bad" sugars (to simplify) once they ripen, so I'd avoid them unless you like to eat your bananas green.