Low calorie gluten free pasta satisfaction!!!

cutmd
cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
edited September 25 in Recipes
kelp noodles are the key, I tried them at a vegan restaurant and they were fantastic! Just started making them myself. They are made from seaweed, high fiber, low calorie, and very filling. They are also gluten-free, which is great for me. You can find them at whole foods or Asian grocery stores in the fridge/tofu section. Tofu shirataki noodles are another alternative but I like the al dente kelp noodles better for that pasta feeling.

There is a secret to making them al dente (they naturally come crunchy and can be eaten like that but I like the pasta texture):
Open the package, rinse the noodles, and soak them in lukewarm water with a twist of lemon (not sure if lemon is necessary but that's the technique I used) for 30 minutes. Then rinse again and they are ready to sautee. Any unused portion of the package can be stored in the water in the fridge (I use a Pyrex container)

I recommend sauteeing in sauce to help the noodles pick up the flavor. I had simple spaghetti for dinner:

Rinsed and soaked kelp noodles, cut if desired 6 cals
Tablespoon of tomato paste 10 cals
Teaspoon of olive oil 45 cals
Ounce of vegan cheese 50 cals
Handful chopped collard greens 20 cals
Garlic powder, Italian spices, salt, and pepper to taste

Mix tomato paste water and olive oil in a saucepan, bring to a simmer, and add in seasoning to taste (you could also just use a serving of your favorite spaghetti sauce)
Add in veggies
Stir in kelp noodles
Sautee for 5 minutes or until thoroughly hot. Sprinkle on cheese and serve! Satisfying pasta for 150 cals! I wanted a tiny dinner today, but you can see how you can add in ground beef and extra cheese and have a huge bowl of meaty cheesy spaghetti for dinner. For 300-400 cals! In fact, that what I'm eating tomorrow - I've been pasta deprived for too long :tongue:

Enjoy!

Replies

• aset132
    aset132 Posts: 91
    Sounds so yummy! Thank you!
  • LixxiKitti
    LixxiKitti Posts: 116
    awesome!! thanks!! now just to find some kelp noodles in my city...
  • fullofhope
    fullofhope Posts: 78 Member
    I'm going to try this! Sounds good!
  • rachel5576
    rachel5576 Posts: 429 Member
    Sounds great i am going to try this once i can find some kelp noodles. I usually use finely chopped cauliflower which works out pretty good. But im always game to try new things. thanks for sharing!
  • kiki17
    kiki17 Posts: 16
    Thank you for this inside recipe! I am going to try it b/c I also have gluten issues. One questions, what type of vegan cheese do you like to use? I've had a hard time finding vegan cheese that GF and taste good. Thanks!
  • cutmd
    Thank you for this inside recipe! I am going to try it b/c I also have gluten issues. One questions, what type of vegan cheese do you like to use? I've had a hard time finding vegan cheese that GF and taste good. Thanks!

I tried Follow your Heart Gourmet vegan cheddar. Not the same as real cheese, but a decentvsubstitute until I work out what cheeses I can and can't eat

I had a huge bowl of kelp noodle spaghetti with ground beef, veggies, and cheese as promised and it was soooooo ridiculously good and filling, I felt like I was cheating big time! Definitely a regular item for me from now on, I looooove pasta :tongue:
  • cjnorman
    cjnorman Posts: 93
    I can't do soy so I use Daiya cheese. Unfortunately only in shredded form at this time. They have cheddar, mozerella and pepperjack, but I haven't found the pepperjack in any stores yet.

I saw kelp pasta at the store yesterday, but didn't buy it. Glad I read this post. Did the package say to soak and not to boil like regular pasta? Or how did you figure it out?
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Can't wait to try it. I usually eat Thai noodles and they are so high in calories.
  • cutmd
    bumping to go with the low calorie alfredo sauce :tongue:
  • cutmd

I saw kelp pasta at the store yesterday, but didn't buy it. Glad I read this post. Did the package say to soak and not to boil like regular pasta? Or how did you figure it out?

Sorry I missed this post. The package just said to boil till tender but it wasn't getting tender so I googled it and some low carb forum person said how to do it and it worked!

Here is my dinner I had today, my kelp spaghetti recipe with ground beef and spinach. There is also a spinach salad with dijon dressing. Calories are about 500 for the whole meal cause I used a whole tablespoon of olive oil in my sauce, along with red wine and ketchup.
    dinner-vi.jpg
  • inbalish
    inbalish Posts: 8
    great post! Thanks!
  • emilyc92
    emilyc92 Posts: 182 Member
    I'm going to look for kelp pasta the next time I'm at the grocery store! Thanks!
  • What's the nutritional value of gluten free pasta? I've noticed it is lower cal than regular pasta and am thinking of making the switch because I LOVE pasta, but not the amount of calories it has in it! If it's gluten free is it still considered a serving of whole grains (in accordance with the food guide?). Also, I read somewhere that switching to gluten free may actually stint weight loss because most gluten free foods have higher calories... but this doesn't seem to be true of pastas...hmm...
This discussion has been closed.