Help please

Options
Ok, I know about the carb/protein/fat ratio thing, but I don't know what mine should be. I'm trying to lower my body fat percentage and gain muscle. I've been trying to consume more protein since I've shifted my focus to more strength training, but I'm not getting as much as I'd like. I've heard numerous times to try to get around 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight and I have not been able to do that yet, but I'm still trying and will continue to do so. Anyway, if anyone can explain to me how I'm supposed to figure out what the ratio should be for me, I'd really appreciate it. I'm so ignorant on the topic, that I don't even know what other information you might need from me to be able to help me, so please let me know that too.

Thank you.

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see what info you find. I'm in the same confusion, but different area. I'm still lowering body fat, but not yet concerned about building muscle. I wonder if our %s will be different because of that, I'd guess so.

Gonna check back in the morning in hopes others have shared knowledge!
  • danlowden
    Options
    Hi,

I recently had success (nearly 12 kilograms with a Prtoein : Carb : Fat (PCF) ratio of 30% Protein, 50% Carbs, 20% Fats to start with. I did vary it from time to time, up tp 40% Protein, 40% Carbs and 20% fats, but only to shock the body every 6-8 weeks.

The main idea is to be in a calorie deficit, and restricting carbs to nothing will be just counter-productive in the extreme.

Take a look at these articles regarding healthy carb consumption:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/are-carbohydrates-really-our-enemy.html
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/in-depth-look-at-carbohydrates.html
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/carbohydrates-and-bodybuilding.html

Men and Women are not that different, the only way you will lose fat ( this goes for both sexes ), is a calorie deficit of between 300-500 calories below the Basic Metabolic Rate.
  • moorlin2
    moorlin2 Posts: 1
    Options
    Diet Solution plan is based on determining your metabolic index and finding the right amount of protein and carbs suited for you. There is a test that determines this and recommends food types. I can share this information. Please email me at stpmstr1215@gmail.com Put Diet Plan - MyFitnessPlan in the subject line.

thanks.
  • cmowat13
    cmowat13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Thank you! Oh good, I've had them set pretty close to that actually, but I wasn't sure if that's the way I should do it. I've only had a small calorie deficit because I was told, based on my BMI, that I shouldn't have a deficit of more than 100-200.

Thank you, I'll look at those links.
  • TracyDH
    TracyDH Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi my friend got a menu from a bodybuilder/nutritionist for increasing protein and she was having between 95g of protein for snacks and 125g for main meals breakfast consisted of an omelet with 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites or 2 poached eggs on 1 piece of toast or porridge with 1 scoop of protein shake and 1/2 c berries.She also had to drink 4L of water and have a protein shake in the morning 1 scoop for either morning tea or on her porridge as I already said and 1 scoop before bed. I dont know haow to alter the protein on our charts but I eat a really high protein diet to low in carbs and fat and I work out the gym for muscle tone and eat quite a similar regime as to what she eats.Hope this helps a bit:)
  • cmowat13
    Options
    Hi my friend got a menu from a bodybuilder/nutritionist for increasing protein and she was having between 95g of protein for snacks and 125g for main meals breakfast consisted of an omelet with 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites or 2 poached eggs on 1 piece of toast or porridge with 1 scoop of protein shake and 1/2 c berries.She also had to drink 4L of water and have a protein shake in the morning 1 scoop for either morning tea or on her porridge as I already said and 1 scoop before bed. I dont know haow to alter the protein on our charts but I eat a really high protein diet to low in carbs and fat and I work out the gym for muscle tone and eat quite a similar regime as to what she eats.Hope this helps a bit:)

Thank you.

I've been having protein shakes after my workouts, and with 2 scoops of the protein powder I get 52 grams of protein. I'm having trouble with the new flavors I decided to try out though (ugh) so I need to figure out how to make them better. Other than that though, I have trouble getting a lot of protein from anything else. I don't like the amount of sugar and fat in most of the protein bars I've looked at. I do eat a lot of eggs- I wish they had more protein. I know I can get more if I eat more chicken and stuff, so I just have to try harder. Thanks for your input!
  • cmowat13
    Options
    Bump