Alternatives for when you have a sweet tooth

Options

Replies

• tellybelle
    tellybelle Posts: 144
    Options
    Pineapple angel food cupcakes! I'm addicted to these thing and they are roughly 60-70 calories each depending on how many you make. It's one box of angel food cake mix (the one you just add water to) and one 20 oz can of crushed pineapple. Mix both together, no water, spoon into cupcake papers and bake at 350.

I found the recipe on here and made them right away. I've eaten three today! :laugh:

Yummy! I am such a sucker for things like that. Make it go away!!!!!:sad:
  • Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    My first suggestion is to AVOID "sugar free" processed foods, they actually trigger more cravings and confuse the heck out of your body because they are filled with sugar alcohols and chemicals.

I go with all natural dark chocolate, ice tea sweetened with agave or stevia, or fruit usually works.

I also make homemade almond milk which is sweetened with dates and i add cinnamon for flavor- it's delicious!!

One of my favorite fruity desserts (which I actually haven't had in a while) is steamed pear or apple slices with cinnamon and a little honey. YUM

Also, if it's on the go, a tropical flavored gum works too.

I freaking LOVE chobani nonfat fruit yogurts!
    And blue diamon and emerald both make a dark chocolate roasted almonds, perfect touch of sweet with protein and healthy fats.
    Larabars -not low calorie.... but are filled with sooo many nutrients that the calories are worth it since they are all natural with ZERO preservatives. :-D
    Just a couple ideas.

How do you make almond milk? I looove almond milk, never knew I could make it at home though.
    Super easy and YUMMY too!
    http://www.choosingraw.com/raw-101-homemade-almond-milk/
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Grapes, cherry tomatoes and raw almonds are my healthy snacks of choice (I know grapes are high in sugar but I just have about 10 at a time, much better than lollies/sweets/candy).

For the "not healthy, but not too many cals" snacks I go to biscuits/cookies - there are lots of regular ones that are less than 100 cals (Woolworths Stem Ginger Cookies, 79 cals), Dove Promises choccies (40 cals) or my new favourite Golden Boronia nougat (30ish cals per piece and the ingredients list 50% almonds).

Oh, and I made cupcakes with a pack of regular vanilla cake mix, tin of crushed pineapple and a grated carrot - yummy and about 100 cals each. I put them in the freezer as soon as they were cool so I can just pull out one at a time to take to work for a snack.

And the other option is to enjoy an occasional price of whatever you are craving, just work it into your calories - like the delicious and unexpected piece if birthday cake this morning ;)
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    My first suggestion is to AVOID "sugar free" processed foods, they actually trigger more cravings and confuse the heck out of your body because they are filled with sugar alcohols and chemicals.

Also, if it's on the go, a tropical flavored gum works too.

I've never had additional cravings from "sugar free" anything, and I've never seen any actual, scientific, peer-reviewed and published research that backs up the "confuses your body" claim. Maybe its there, but I haven't seen it....
    I do my best to eat clean and eat as close to the source as possible. Fake alcohol sugars are quite a ways from real.... that's all.
    I have been guided by many trainers and in fitness and nutrition books i have read over the years, I have read many times to try and avoid sugar alcohols because they are unnatural and play mind games with the body because it is unfamiliar with it. I have felt so much better and healthier with eating less processed and unfamiliar ingredients. It has definitely benefited my process and my body being able to communicate it's hungry level. We all definitely react to different things in different ways. This is why we all do it differently. :-D But this is something I think is an important part of my commitment.
  • babytmarie27
    Options
    No-sugar-added Fudgecicles! 40 calories each.
    I agree! They are the best and the cost less and get more for your money than some of the other sweets like "skinny cow"
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

Oh, and I made cupcakes with a pack of regular vanilla cake mix, tin of crushed pineapple and a grated carrot - yummy and about 100 cals each. I put them in the freezer as soon as they were cool so I can just pull out one at a time to take to work for a snack.

And the other option is to enjoy an occasional price of whatever you are craving, just work it into your calories - like the delicious and unexpected piece if birthday cake this morning ;)
    I agree... moderation is the key. It teaches you self control and you don't deprive yourself into a binge frenzy. ;) A treat now and then is nice, for sure!
    We usually keep Dark chocolate chips around here ... the key is just a small handful instead of 6 small handfuls haha I think I need to fence off the kitchen, somedays. ;)
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    No-sugar-added Fudgecicles! 40 calories each.
    I agree! They are the best and the cost less and get more for your money than some of the other sweets like "skinny cow"
    I have seen these before, but who makes them?

oh oh oh, have any of you heard of No Pudge fudge brownies? Use you use nonfat yogurt to make them. Pretty tastey!
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Fat free pudding cups with strawberries and fat free whipped cream or just strawberries with whipped cream.
  • significance
    significance Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free jelly (US: jello) with fat-free yoghurt tastes better than it sounds, and makes a great dessert when you have a sugar craving.

A little fruit, or even a small amount of dried fruit can sometimes hit the spot.

A glass of low-fat milk with just a few drops of vanilla essence.

A smear of jam (US: jelly) on a slice of multigrain bread.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Well besides the sug free pudding snacks that I planned to suggest but a lot of others have...I eat 90cal quaker brand mini delights with choc.drizzle (each lil bag is 90cal), nabisco has 100cal packs all different types of cookies, chocolate and caramel flavored rice snacks, a sweet fruit such as grapes, watermelon, banana, cantalope, etc or several fruits mixed together. Sugar free hot chocolate, a kellogs strawberry cereal bar, wheat french toast with egg whites instead of full egg with the cinnamon of course and mrs butterworhts sugar free syrup (20cal a 1/4 cup & u def don't need that much), honey glazed steamed carrots, steamed carrots with cinnamon.. or best off -- 0cal tea (I'm new to liking tea so idk which ones r sweeter but I like oolong tea) with 2 nectrasweet sweetner tablets (a sweetner that's like lil pills instead of powder).

There's also sug free whip cream and sug free choclate sauce but I don't use either. I saw in store last night weigh watchers treats and different desserts like that but they were too expensive for me.

And a summer fav--fruit smoothies, just add some yogurt maybe with strawberries, bananas, blueberries, mango...whatever ur heart desires...
  • WomanofWorth
    WomanofWorth Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    bump
  • suvernscorpio
    suvernscorpio Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would say the less of it you eat the less you will crave it. But I don't agree with cutting things out completely because that usually means your cravings will be more intense.
    I have a good little tip though....
    Clean your teeth!!! The mintyness of the toothpaste should put you off wanting something sweet for a little while. Hope that helps :)
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    *bump* for ideas!! I have a nasty sweet tooth too!
  • JohnnyNull
    JohnnyNull Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Simple and tasty. Frozen grapes, frozen bananas.
  • starkiss100
    starkiss100 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Skiiny Cow Truffle bar (100 cal), fruit, jello sugar free pudding, Crystal light fruit punch
  • emd0019
    emd0019 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    OBXGal Those sound amazing thank you so much for the recipe!!
  • OBXGal
    OBXGal Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    OBXGal Those sound amazing thank you so much for the recipe!!

They are amazing!! I've also read that you could do the same thing with peaches, but I haven't tried it. I just ate another one :)
  • biggiwig
    biggiwig Posts: 76
    Options
    When it gets really bad, I eat cottage cheese with blueberries. That takes away my appetite for sugar.
  • travelprincess
    travelprincess Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    sugar free jello with a tablespoon of cool whip.

Whoopie pies - take two graham crakers, put 2 tbs of fat free cool whip in between and freeze.
  • vxmittyxv
    vxmittyxv Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Skinny cows are the best.