Protein Powder Suggestions Please

Options
I am looking into buying some new protein powder and am so overwhelmed by all the choices and flavors out there. Can you reccommedva good quality whey protein let me know the brand and the flavor you like best. Thanks bunches!!!!

Replies

• cmowat13
    cmowat13 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I use Body Fortress. I like the vanilla one to make protein shakes after my workouts. I put two scoops (52 grams of protein), 1 cup of skim milk, and a cup or half a cup of frozen strawberries in a blender with ice. If you do this before your workout and put it in the freezer, then drink it right after your workout, it's like having strawberry ice cream. It's pretty good, actually. I also mix it with frozen bananas, frozen pineapple, frozen blueberries, etc. When I mix it with the bananas, I add some cinnamon and it's really good. This brand has really good prices compared to what I've seen, as well as a lot of protein.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I like Isopure brand powders. http://www.theisopurecompany.com/powders.php
    Vanilla 0 carb is my fave. I just have it with chilled chai tea like a latte and it doesn't add any sugars or carbs to my shake. They have a ton of different flavors but if I want a fruit flavor I usually will just use calories and add frozen fruits.
  • gailygail99
    gailygail99 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Isopure in Dutch Chocolate. I mix it with water and it tastes great. I have one of those blender bottles so you dont even need a blender. For two scoops its 220 cals in about 10oz water. I usually just do 1 scoop in about 5oz water for half the calories. It has 25g of protein PER SCOOP! It is also a whey isolate which I believe is easier absorbed.
  • mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I use EAS Chocolate Whey Protein. You can pick it up at a grocery store (I find mine at a Tops Markets) plus I think our Walmart has it. My husband likes to switch up his protein and I've tried some of his vanilla's and I couldn't do it. Just a preference thing. but I tried this with some almond milk and it's delicious. 130 calories 23g protein. per scoop.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar. I've tried fuzzy navel (peach/orange) and strawberry cream. Both are delicious and i'm a veteran of many many horrible flavors of protein powder.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I am looking into buying some new protein powder and am so overwhelmed by all the choices and flavors out there. Can you reccommedva good quality whey protein let me know the brand and the flavor you like best. Thanks bunches!!!!

Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Whey or 100% Natural Casein. It's not the cheapest but not the most expensive but the lowest in sugars, carbs and sodium that I have found anywhere. You are getting what you are actually looking for and not all the additives or fillers that most other brands use.

Please, please, please stay away from Muscle Milk.

Isopure isn't bad either but I find it to be clumpy even after being in a shaker or blended. Have not had that issue with Optimum Nutritions 100% Natural stuff.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    If you're willing to spend more, I'd suggest Jay Robb's. The protein comes from cows that weren't all jacked up on hormones (may be the only protein like this) and it's sweetened with Stevia. If you're looking for protein on the cheap I'd go with the Body Fortress.
  • angp7711
    angp7711 Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Can you give details as to why to stay away. I have never used the powder but have used the ready made and now you have made me curious :)
  • stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Nectar. I've tried fuzzy navel (peach/orange) and strawberry cream. Both are delicious and i'm a veteran of many many horrible flavors of protein powder.

Same - I loved Syntrax, but it's done - they can't make it any more, if you find some - buy it up!

I switched to O.N. Caramel Toffee Fudge - it's great, no after taste.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    If you're willing to spend more, I'd suggest Jay Robb's. The protein comes from cows that weren't all jacked up on hormones (may be the only protein like this) and it's sweetened with Stevia. If you're looking for protein on the cheap I'd go with the Body Fortress.

This stuff is the best of the best.....and makes you broke too
  • JDMPWR
    Options

Can you give details as to why to stay away. I have never used the powder but have used the ready made and now you have made me curious :)

Carb content is pretty high for a protein shake but most importantly it has more fat in it then any protein shake I know and NOT the good fat either they say it is but the problem is the way they go about processing the canola oil that is put into the shake makes it unhealthy. This is also what I knew about the problem 2-3 years ago. Things could have changed but last I knew it hadn't.

Here is a convo about it. I know if I search bodybuilding.com I can find the independent test that a actual scientist/body builder did on 5 brands and MM was last or second to last.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/archive/index.php/t-117848091.html
  • scubatahiti
    scubatahiti Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    on the Syntrax check out Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Syntrax&x=0&y=0

I use EAS whey and GNC Extreme wheybolic Both can be found at Sams club.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

This stuff is the best of the best.....and makes you broke too

You should see Mark Sisson's protein. Makes Jay Robb's look like Body Fortress (price wise).
  • simplyblessed89
    Options
    I've recently gotten into Jillian Michaels Whey Protein from Pure Protein. Blend one scoop with 1 cup of fruit of choice (frozen), 1 cup of plain non-fat yogurt, and 1/4 cup of milk, it's an amazing post workout drink or breakfast!
  • thkelly
    thkelly Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    no offence to the Body Fortress users and the EAS users, but that stuff tastes like crap.

Try Optimum Nutrtion 100% Whey, Gaspari Myofusion, or if you can find it Xtreme Formulations.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    no offence to the Body Fortress users and the EAS users, but that stuff tastes like crap.

Try Optimum Nutrtion 100% Whey, Gaspari Myofusion, or if you can find it Xtreme Formulations.

ON all the way.....
  • tellybelle
    tellybelle Posts: 144
    Options
    oh gosh! SO many options here too! Ok I am going to look at some of those. Thanks a bunch. Anyone else's recommendations are welcome too! :)
  • eternlgladiator
    Options
    I take GNC pro amp 60. I take 60 grams over the course of a day. part with my oatmeal and the rest after my workout. I use the chocolate flavor and its pretty good. It helps me choke down my vitamins which taste horrible. It can be expensive but I check the gnc site every couple days to get the best deal possible and google for coupon codes then stock up when the deals come around. I've never heard anything good about vanilla flavored ones but everybody is different.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Powder, Frosty Chocolate. You can get it at the grocery store. It's about $10. Calories 140, Fat 3, Carbs 4, Protein 25. Tastes great. I have it with coconut milk and a banana. 300 calories. Keeps me full all morning.

Jillian Michaels is also good, but I believe hers is also Pure Protein, just with her name and picture on the container.

These two options are the least expensive and good quality.