BMR maybe lower, question about 1,500 calorie diet?

Options
Ok, here's the skinny, I have alot of weight since July."60lbs" And I noticed afew weeks ago, I wasn't losing anymore weight. this lasted for 4 weeks. So I figure it was time for a change, because I learned of this website I tried out afew of the tools. Now the BMR it gives me is 2,070 calories well I tried that for 6 weeks I wasn't losing.".2lbs" So I read somewhere that BMR is diffirent for everybody and it depends on many factors"activity levels and life style and so on" well I live a very slow life. I spend hours on Pc becuase that's my job and I'm missing my right lung. So what I did was I lowered my daily calores to 1,800 for 4 weeks and I lost a pound a week. So I was like well since I figured 2 pounds a week was safe zone, I lowered my intake to 1,500 to 1,600 calories a day for 4weeks and I lost 2 pounds a week. Now I do liftweights but very lite cardio, my questions are, is 1,500 calories safe as long as I'm hitting 2 pounds limit ? And Is my BMR just lower because of workout limits and lifestyle?

Thanks for replys.

Replies

• ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress!

BMR calculators are a somewhat generalized tool - they cover the majority, but there will be a few people who are outside the curve. Most often, those people have medical issues or other things that make them a bit different. It could be that your daily activity level does keep your BMR a bit lower; there could also be some effect from the lack of one lung. Remember though that BMR doesn't include your activity level; it's what you burn just to stay alive, as if in a coma. MFP includes a separate calculation for activity level.

All that said, I would not really recommend 2 lbs per week for someone with how much you have left to lose. I would say 1.5 lbs per week max, maybe only 1 lb/week. The leaner you get, the less of a deficit your body can withstand. And particularly if your exercise is limited, you want a very moderate deficit to keep lean mass loss to a minimum. You may need to play with the numbers a bit to find the right level for you, but you still don't want too high of a deficit. Also, you can get RMR tested at many gyms or through a dietitian to get a more accurate number for YOU.

Might help to read these threads that help explain deficits/goals in more detail. Good luck to you!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficits

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/186814-some-mfp-basics
  • gog427
    gog427 Posts: 82
    Options
    Alright so here's the numbers rounded up.
    My resting BMR is 2,070 calories
    Given my 12 hour work day on pc : 1,700 is calorie intake to lose 1.5lbs a week.
    Now my hour walk and hour at the gym is right at 575 calories burned.
    So by the myfitnesspal tool I should eat 2,275 calories on 4 days I do this workout.
    Of course all these numbers are rough guess.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    Alright so here's the numbers rounded up.
    My resting BMR is 2,070 calories
    Given my 12 hour work day on pc : 1,700 is calorie intake to lose 1.5lbs a week.
    Now my hour walk and hour at the gym is right at 575 calories burned.
    So by the myfitnesspal tool I should eat 2,275 calories on 4 days I do this workout.
    Of course all these numbers are rough guess.

That sounds about right with activity level. I would try that for a few weeks and see how it works. Make sure you're getting enough protein and good fats. Drink plenty of water. Weigh and measure food. If you don't see good results after a few weeks, maybe only eat half of the cals added for exercise and see how that goes.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    you can lose as many lbs as you want.

and those calories are fine.
  • gog427
    Options
    130 to 150 is my protein. I'll keep it low till I'm at my goal weight loss, then up it with weightlifting levels.
  • ladyhawk00
    Options
    130 to 150 is my protein. I'll keep it low till I'm at my goal weight loss, then up it with weightlifting levels.

That should be enough - good plan. :wink:
  • gog427
    Options
    I think one my problems is, I hear something or read something and I find myself second guessing my plan. So I get mixed up and all along my current plan was great. I mean hell I lost 60lbs, must be doing something right! It's really hard sometimes to research things because there's so many ideas and believes." lots of loss weight fast BS too."

Thx for help.