Bowling? MFP Accuracy?

Options
I bowled tonight, which was a lot of sit, stand, throw, wait your turn. Is the calorie counter for MFP accurate at all on this sport?

Replies

• wilyz
    wilyz Posts: 37
    Options
    bowling is NOT a sport. Sorry
  • paul87920
    paul87920 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Well thanks for the opinion, but if you have an answer to my question it would be much appreciated.
  • wilyz
    Options
    Im sorry Paul. I really dont know.
  • JJHudgens
    JJHudgens Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think it is probably as accurate as it can be. I think the numbers will all depend on how many of you were taking turns. The more there are of you, the less turns you get, then less movement. The less, more movement...you get the point. ;) I think MFP gives an average, it would be nice to know on what size person that average was taken though. ;) I've read many times that the best way to really count your calorie burn, is to use a heart rate monitor. I'm going to invest in one one day. :) Then you can custom set workouts on MFP, and it will be ACCURATE since your heart rate monitor told you exactly what YOU burned. :) I know this isn't very helpful, but gives you some food for thought. ;) Just keep moving, that's the most important!
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I don't think it is very accurate. I went a couple weeks ago with hubby and a friend, the 3 of us bowled 2 games in an hour and it said I burned over 200 cals... pretty sure I didn't when I was only up a third of the time. Maybe try dividing your time by how many people were in your party. I should have thought of that when I did it. lol
  • wilyz
    Options
    You may burn a few calories by doing 1 rep of a 16 lb ball, but other than that, its negligible. Just my opinion.
  • bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I don't count it unless i break a sweat.... I haven't managed to break a sweat just bowling. But I would say that you have to keep in mind many exercises entered in the system are MFP peer created and the accuracy cannot be trusted. I would say maybe just go with half if you really want to count it. I have found comparing MFP rates to my HRM there is sometimes a difference of a few hundred. :o(
  • PirateJenny
    PirateJenny Posts: 233
    Options
    MFP calculates the time you put in as constant activity (so if you put in 3 hours the calculator "thinks" you are literally standing up, advancing and throwing the ball the entire time) so you should try and deduct out the time spent sitting.

For example, I calculate out the rest times in between my sets (and wiping off equipment, waiting for machines etc) when I enter strength training. If I clock 90 minutes, I only log 60 or so just so I am not counting all the "down time".

However, I would caution you to refer to other online exercise calculators or use a HRM. I have found a lot of inaccuracies in the way MFP calculates calorie expenditure for me. Other people find it more accurate, this is only my experience.

Good luck!
  • Noctuary
    Noctuary Posts: 255
    Options
    I work at a bowling alley. It's sport when you do it right. If it's you and one other person doing a 3 game set..that's about an hour of quick movements. We don't wait for the other person to throw both frames. We go in between. I work up a sweat..and so do all my bowlers..considering all the tips I make from selling them drinks!:tongue:
  • sarahnicolexoxo
    Options
    I wore my HRM while bowling last weekend. It was only my fiance and I so not a long wait between each turn. I stood the entire time and was always moving. We both were sweating and my heart rate went up as if I were working out. I logged every calorie burnt. I suggest you try wearing a HRM to see how it goes. I love bowling!