Sleeping and weight loss

Carrie6o6
Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
Does sleep affect weight loss? My sister and I were talking about it because Ive seem to hit a plateau almost from April... not only was there junk food but now my sleep is all messed up. I wake around 6:30am, have maybe an hour nap at 1:00pm then I work until 12am, get home and go to sleep around 1am, and now that I am not really eating junk anymore and I am exercising a lot more, my weight is kinda stuck! Mostly since April Ive been the same... in between 195lbs up to 205lbs. Any thoughts?

Replies

• Carrie6o6
    Does sleep affect weight loss? My sister and I were talking about it because Ive seem to hit a plateau almost from April... not only was there junk food but now my sleep is all messed up. I wake around 6:30am, have maybe an hour nap at 1:00pm then I work until 12am, get home and go to sleep around 1am, and now that I am not really eating junk anymore and I am exercising a lot more, my weight is kinda stuck! Mostly since April Ive been the same... in between 195lbs up to 205lbs. Any thoughts?
  • Fit2btied
    Fit2btied Posts: 486
    I've heard that lack of sleep affects your weight...they recommend getting 7-8 hours at least per night. Your crazy schedule could have something to do with the plateau, but you don't say anything about your calorie intake vs. burn or eating habits except no junk. There are probably a couple of factors working against you at this point...crazy sleep pattern and maybe crazy eating times...you don't talk about eating after work, so you are probably going long periods without eating. That could cause your body to want to hold on to what you have and make weight loss very difficult. That's tough...Good luck with your efforts. And congratulations of your 23 pounds lost so far! That's awesome!
  • From what I've read, sleep actually assists in weight loss and repairing your muscles after exercise. If you've noticed a gain, it's probably because your eating habits and exercise habits have changed. Be sure to log what you eat, and the exercise you get everyday. See if those two things are effecting your gain. :flowerforyou:

:heart: Button
  • Carrie6o6
    I eat about 1200 net cals, and then I try to burn at least 300cals a day and eat those as well. Last week I seemed to average at about 400-500 cals burned a day. I know my weight shoots back up to 205lbs when I binge (which is almost every saturday) :grumble: haha But I dont go over my cals that much to make me gain! And you are right I dont eat when I get home from work, I go straight to bed if im hungry or not.
  • Carrie6o6
    awww thats no good!! I have no time to sleep! I do get as much as I can.. Its hard with an afternoon job and a little girl whos up every morning at 6:30am haha
  • soup78
    soup78 Posts: 667 Member
    From what I've read, sleep does affect weight loss. And it's different for everybody, sorry but there's no easy answer here. :ohwell: Personally, I need at least 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep. But, some people can function on just 5 hours.:yawn: Sleep is when your body not just rejuvenates itself, but it also repairs.

Have you tried to "change up" your fitness routine? Sometimes our bodies get in a groove, otherwise known as plateau. I'm not sure how you're working out, but a change in pace might be something else that will kick start your metabolism again. :bigsmile:

Good luck and press on! :flowerforyou: