new here and frustrated, need some encouragement

Options
Well, I guess I'm not *new* since I joined about a month ago, but just haven't been tracking. I have 2 small kids (2.5 years and an almost 3 month old) and I tend to get overwhelmed with things. It has been cold out which has been my excuse not to work out. I guess I just need to focus on a small goal instead of looking at the 100 pounds I want to lose as a whole, right? Ugh.

Anyway, I just thought I would post some thoughts here and see if anyone can relate?

Replies

• kris1085
    kris1085 Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Oh i can so relate to what you are talking about ! I have lost 30.5 pounds since december 28th and sometimes i expect big numbers on the scales every week and sometimes i only loose a pound or half a pound ! I also have close to 70 some more pounds to loose ! I will add you as a friend ! Your kids are cute also i love the profile picture!
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Take 5lb at a time. Enjoy every little victory- even non scale related- read the book, if you haven't already "The Secret" and know that you are worthy of good health and good things. Look at it as a positive journey instead of a negative one :)
  • gymmgirl
    gymmgirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Just remember you burn calories running around with your children! Also, you didn't gain pounds all over night so take it in increments. 10% of your weight or 5 lbs. at a time. Try to make your workout a "play date" with your children too. This gets them in the habit of knowing that movement is fun! When it's cold out, put on your favorite tunes, or theirs, and dance around like a "star!" This is fun and you'll stick with it because it's easy and you can do it with your kids too! Good luck! Keep it up. Everyday is a new beginning. Don't look at the big number, concetrate on the small accomplishments...they add up. Consistency is key so even 10-15 minutes adds up. That's where tracking is helpful. You will still see progress. Be gentle on yourself :)
  • paulettac
    paulettac Posts: 101
    Options
    I find it's better to focus on small goals...10 or 20 pounds at a time. I do my workouts at home and it saves travel time and money. I work out while my little one is in school. Maybe you can while yours are napping. Once it gets warm out then you can take them for walks or something outside. Also think of your kids and all the things you would love to do with them...use that as motivation (that's what I do). My family loves to hike so we do that a lot. Feel free to add me for support if you like. Good luck on your journey.
  • stella77
    stella77 Posts: 282
    Options
    I can relate. I couldn't even think about losing weight until my son turned 9 months old and I was able to breathe a little! Can't imagine doing anything with two little ones.

What I did is give myself a lot of time to reach my goal (8 months for 33 lbs) and I didn't include any exercise into my plan at all. I just wanted something small and manageable and that for me was logging into MFP every day to log ALL my calories and trying to stick to my kcal goal. When I was able to make it I took 30 mins walk with my son in the stroller. And although it was slow - it paid off.

Sometimes we just have to lower the bar and deal with what we can, not what we would want to (or think we should)

Small steps.

Good luck!
  • Aintplayin
    Aintplayin Posts: 102
    Options
    I, too, am right there with you. I just started a month ago and still consider myself 'new' but familiar. I have not missed a log in day since I have started. Call me crazy but I really enjoy this. Why? No clue.. just do :wink:

I have large numbers too. I would love to shed AT LEAST 75 more pounds. That is a scary number. I also want it gone RIGHT NOW. I had to retrain my thinking and look at a smaller picture. Make smaller goals to get to the bigger goal. Anyone with any kind of success will tell you that's the way to accomplish anything.

I can't clean my whole house right now. I have to clean one room at a time to get it all complete. Donald Trump had smaller businesses before he had Trump Towers. You see my point.

You have small kids. That's a feat in itself right there. If you can do 10 minutes of exercising a day, I'm sure that will help. I know that's probably not what you're envisioning for big weight loss but the purpose of that is creating habits along with 10 minutes may be more than what you're doing now.

You need to replace bad habits with good ones so 10 minutes a day is progress. Then in a few weeks, build on it. Maybe add 5 minutes each week.

I hope this helps. :flowerforyou: I'm rooting for you!!!!!!!
  • degaprincess
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone! It is refreshing to read such positive attitudes toward someone who is just starting off!

I do need to take it slow... 5 pounds for now is the new goal. I need to also cut out pop/soda (around here it's pop! haha), as I drink WAY too much. It's pretty crazy. We're Italian and my brother is about to open a restaurant, so we're in "taste test" mode, which isn't very helpful for this journey! We're carbaholics, in a way!

So, this week's efforts will be to cut out some of the pop drinking, and be intentional about water and protein.

Again, thank you. I accepted lots of friend requests and look forward to the mutual support!
  • anghappy
    anghappy Posts: 3
    Options
    It will get better! I have a 1 and 2 yr old boys and It took me a thousand times to say today Im gonna stick with a diet! Just 2 mnths ago I started and something inside just made me stick with it... I just keep pushing 10lbs off at a time so its not so crazy! I have lost 40lbs so far and have about 25 more I want to loose... I keep getting stuck every time I loose 10lbs then all of a sudden it drops! I also realized when I eat right and get to the gym I feel great. My kids love the gym daycare so its good for them too! I have not cheated, not even one day, If its a special holiday or something I eat what I want but not over eat!

One day you'll just do it and stick with it! Dont give up! and join a gym, even if you dont think you will have time or wont like it... just do a trial I bet you'll love it! Its great for some "me time" as well!

wishing you the best of luck!
  • kat65
    kat65 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time making it back here also. My son is older (woots), but I'm in my last semester of a masters degree and it's kicking my buitt. Not only do I sit for long hours doing research and typing papers, my schedule is thrown off because of my teaching load and the classes that I am taking. AUGH!

But, I'm just taking it one day at a time. My small goal is to try and log in and to try and eat right for the days that I cannot.

Enjoy your children. Do not beat yourself up. Focus on one small goal and celebrate your life. Your children will be grown before you know it.