I AM ADDICTED TO PEANUT BUTTER

Options
i use the natural smuckers peanut butter....and i really can't live without it! any alternatives/suggestions??

Replies

• dalzinho
    dalzinho Posts: 52
    Options
    Um, stop buying peanut butter is the obvious answer.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I wish I had your problem! My daughter is allergic to PB so we don't have any in the house! I did try SunButter one time (made with sunflower seeds) and it was ok. Not sure if it's any less fatty though.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    better n peanut butter

pb2
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I'm with you there, mine is the Jiff natural. Unfortunately once i get a taste i usually over do it, hide it and bring it out just every once in a while.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Have you tried almond butter, pretty good stuff. I have also switched to pb2 peanut butter, love it.
  • kehowe83
    kehowe83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I agree. Peanut butter is not bad in moderation, but if you want to kick the addiction, do not buy it. Go to the grocery store after a big filling lunch so you are not hungry when you go and avoid that area all together. If you don't have bad snack food in the house and have to make an effort to get it, it will not be as tempting eventually.
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    just eat less of it ?
  • ababygrace
    ababygrace Posts: 123
    Options
    I love it too:tongue: . Good thing it is healthy, just don't eat too much of it.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I too am a PB addict. ;-)

BUT

A while back I discovered PB2 from Bell Plantation, and I use the stuff everyday. It's dehydrated peanut butter/ peanut flour that you reconstitute with water, and turns into an almost fat-free version of regular peanut butter- so I use it everyday, on a lot of stuff.

Unfortunately, it's not available in Canada so I'm stuck buying it online. Worth the money though.
  • healthyandthin
    healthyandthin Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've been eating so much PB this month too! I eat organic crunchy PB which makes me feel less guilty...but still. I rarely ate PB until recently so after I finish this container, I won't buy more.
  • sar586
    sar586 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Better n Peanut butter has much fewer calories than most other types of peanut butter, and it tastes good too!!
  • ksyrnyk
    ksyrnyk Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    A decent protein - if you can eat it in moderation, in combination with great workouts, it could actually be of benefit to your body. My husband and I have peanut butter every day - Kraft light - little less in the fats and sodium. Be careful though, too much of a good thing is not so good for you.
  • mangorabbit
    mangorabbit Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is not all bad, especially if you are avoiding the stuffs with sugar/high fructose corn syrup/other bizarre sweeteners. That said, try limiting the amount you eat on a daily basis? Try it on celery or other veggies instead of bread?

If you are concerned that you will not stop at one serving (or whatever amount you have chosen to allow yourself) perhaps it is worth giving it up for a while. If you truly feel addicted, often one must first prove to oneself that you CAN do without said thing, and then reintroduce it into your diet in moderation.

I know there are some foods where I opt to measure out individual servings into containers to give myself a very clear visual cue 'that is one serving' (or X calories) ...it helps with my occasional bent towards mindlessly eating an entire bag/container of anything.

Good luck!
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted, too! I usually save myself a couple hundred calories so that I can eat a spoonful of it in the middle of the night (that's when I get my big pb / nuts craving). Maybe that would work for you, too?

Or you could try those individual serving sizes and not be tempted to eat a whole jar?
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    could be a lot worse, peanut butter is good for you
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    yes, a lot of people on here use pb2, but just realize that peanut butter is not that bad if you buy it natural. I use skippy natural, because you don't have to stir it, no added sugars, preservatives, etc... Peanut butter has a lot of protein which will keep you full longer, just use it in moderation. for example, wheat toast in morning, with 1tbspn of peanut butter. Goo luck sweetie!!
  • Lisamarie1226
    Lisamarie1226 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Measure, measure, MEASURE! I love peanut butter too and I have tried some of the other products. I bought the almond butter from Costco (Maranatha ..sp?) and was so NOT impressed. My mom got me some pb2 and that was okay (I'll use that in my smoothies to save on calories but still use just 1 tbsp of "real" peanut butter for the flavor).

I started measuring my peanut butter (I love Peter Pan's honey roasted and Skippy all natural with honey) and ONLY eating 2 tbsp. I put it in a little 1/2 cup plastic container and measure in 2 tbsp of sugar free strawberry preserves (like 10 calories per tbsp!). I mix it together and eat that on whole wheat ritz crackers and (for me anyways) that REALLY hits the spot. Sometimes I'll forgo the crackers and just dip my knife in it.

Or measure out 2 tbsp and put that on apples or celery sticks. A satisfying snack will be something low fat paired with a healthy fat.

Good luck!
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    This might sound crazy but the BEST tasting peanut butter I've ever had is JIF Reduced Fat. Seriously. It's SO good. I could eat it at every meal. But I don't. That's where the self-control comes in.

Stupid, no good, ultra-lame self control. :grumble:

:laugh:

You can do eeeeet!
  • patsyanne
    patsyanne Posts: 111
    Options
    I too am addicted to peanut butter. I used to eat it by the spoonfuls. I keep it in the house because I feel I need it sometimes and it is a good source of protein--fat too of course. I stay away from it most of the time now cause I know I have to write it down in my diet food--but every few weeks I do have it on my flat bagel for breakfast or on apple pieces for a snack. It satisfies me for another couple weeks. I feel this is the only way for me to handle it since this is to be a new a life style for me. Good luck!!
  • srast
    srast Posts: 17
    Options
    I love the Better N Peanut Butter... it's only 100 calories for 2 tablespoons (like half the amount of my previous fave, Peter Pan) and it tastes like the peanut butter inside a Reese's cup. You can find it online or I buy it at Trader Joes. I measure of course... but those days when 2 measley tbs don't cut it.... I can eat 4 and be content I still didn't eat more that I would with 2 tbs of Peter Pan!