ankle stability

Options
I have had chronic tendonitis in both of my ankles for 14 yrs in the left and 10yrs for the right ankle. after I graduated high school and so stopped performing in musicals and show choir(think glee but with more tap, jazz, and sequins), my ankles weren't bothering me and I sort of forgot about the problem. When I bought a pair of Reebok Easytone shoes my ankles began to hurt again due to the instability the shoes create. I researched this and found that they were causing pain instead of helping build up the foot and ankle muscles because of the way I was balancing. I went to several doctors and physical therapist over the years and none of them ever told me what I learned from a video I randomly found while looking for tips on balancing properly while practicing yoga; it turns out the secret is so simple! Instead of letting your foot take on the responsibility of balancing by wobbling back and forth as any object does to balance, all you have to do is lift the ankle up. keep the weight distributed evenly on your foot and as you feel unstable lift up. This action keeps the weight balanced in your feet and alleviates the pressure associated with the side to side or front to back action that you'd otherwise use to keep yourself still.

http://www.hotyogadoctor.com/index.php/site/links/great-posture-from-the-ground-up

this should give a better explination than I did, incase I made it confusing :) there is a 12 minute video on posture from the ground up. it has been a huge help for me not only while doing yoga, but in my every day activities

Replies