Sardines

Options
twinwolf
twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
Ok folks, dumb question...

I just bought a package of Sardines last night. They are Crown Prince brand, lightly smoked in oil. What I want to know is how do I eat them? Should they be eaten right out of the container? Should they be cooked somehow and if so, how? Nowhere on the package does it say ready to eat, yet none of the ones I could have chosen from said that either..

Thoughts?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    They do not need to be cooked. Eat them right out of the container or put them on a cracker. I eat them all the time.
  • JanerZzz
    JanerZzz Posts: 276
    Options
    I like mine with mashed potatoes...or mashed cauliflower :)
  • Kimbie500
    Kimbie500 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    They are ready to eat. I don't generally get the packed in oil ones, I find them greasy. My faves are the ones in tomato sauce - I eat them on Triscuits. You could drain them and blot them, kinda mash them a little, mix in a few seasonings if that appeals to you (for some reason finely chopped green onion or maybe some hot sauce sounds good to me), and have them on crackers or toast.
  • bigmommy2011
    Options
    I eat my right from the can with crackers .
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I usually buy the tomato sauce ones. About half a can, mushed onto a slice of wholegrain toast is perfect at any time of the day!

Crackers like corn thins or ryvita work well - I keep as standbys in my office a tin of sardines and some rice cakes for emergency lunches.
  • hfenimore
    hfenimore Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My anniversary is also 10/10....good day to get married.:smile:
  • cobes24
    cobes24 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I found a Chowhound thread about Sardines, http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/364987

A few suggestions there:

Avocado and sardines are a great combo. Put 'em on sliced sourdough or whole wheat with a little mayo and lettuce and savor away.

i like them sauteed with some garlic and chili and mixed into scrambled eggs. also love them with mustard and watercress on crusty bread.

put on rye bread with lettuce and mustard

One of my favorite sandwiches. Rye bread, mayo, sardines, sliced hardcooked eggs, thinly sliced onion, thin slices of tomato, salt and pepper. Heaven.

my personal favorite way to eat them is dump out oil, add small amount hot sauce, then place on no salt added crackers.(the fish already has a ton of salt in it )

I'm not a sardine eater, but my dad loves them, so from watching him I know you can eat them right out of the can! After reading that thread tho, I'm curious to try some!
  • twinwolf
    Options

Thanks! I thought so!
  • twinwolf
    Options

Thanks! I thought so!
  • twinwolf
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas.. I had no idea they could be combined so many ways.. :smile: