protein?

Options
Hi guys I have started to use promax diet shakes for breakfast and dinner and am always over on protein by the end of the day. Can you tell me how much protein you guys are consuming per day. I have seen on the net that my protein should be (bodyweight) x 0.8 = the amount of protein needed per day for weight lose.

Anybody have any advise on this matter

Replies

• cgavin77
    cgavin77 Posts: 219
    Options
    bumppp!
  • AmandaArnwine
    Options
    1 gram per pound of bodyweight..per day .. never having more than 35 grams per hour.
  • jellybelly2011
    Options
    :smile:
    I've gone over on protein as well. My dietician actually wants me to have MORE, so I don't lose muscle mass while losing weight. I think you're fine. I'd focus more on calories than protein. Hope this helps.
  • sdoherty1000
    sdoherty1000 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    ok i reveal my figures- according to the power of the net my bodyweight (98.8 - as of today) x 0.8= 79.04 of protein per day. If i try and change this figure in mfp it lowers my fats to 5%?????? so which are the correct values to use?
  • scottbob
    scottbob Posts: 7
    Options
    bump
  • sdoherty1000
    sdoherty1000 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Anyone?
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    98.8 is your weight in kg right? so you weigh something like 215lbs. Some people reccomend 1 g of protein for 1 lbs of body weight, that would mean over 200g of protein for you and I,m not sure what that reccomendation is based on.

The more conventional way to calculate proein is by % of your total calories. All your calories come from protein, carbs and fats (alcohol too but it is a non-essential calorie so it isn`t considerd a macro nutrient).

Diffrent diets reccomend different macro nutrient ratios. I'm not sure, but the MFP default is 60% carb, 15% protein, 25% fat I think. I know that is their protein reccomendation and I find it very low. for a 2000 calorie diet, 15% protein would equal 75g of protein.

I set my ratios manually to 55% carb, 30% protein and 15% fat from Burn the Fat Feed the Muscle book. I trust the author of that book and respect his opinion. For my 2400 calorie diet that comes out to 180g of protein. I weigh 265lbs and I think 265g of protein would be hard to ingest. Soem people has ration of 20carb, 40 protein, 40 fat, andything above 40% protein i would consider very high and I think it is unusual. Maybe the saying is 1g of preotein for your target healthy weight in lbs. What ever it is we shouldn't propagate the saying.

There is all sorts of macro nutrient ratio infformation available on the web.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    also, the secrete to weight loss is creating a calorie deficit. Eating good food will help with your health and energy, but you can lose weight by eating nothing but junk food as long as you maintain a calorie deficit.

make the calories you eat be less than the calories you burn and you have to lose weight.

Proteini smostly used by your body for muscle tissure repair and building, which is very important if your are exercising regularly.
  • diaryoffatdad
    diaryoffatdad Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My dietitian has me eating much more protein than what MFP had set for me. She wants me to be at about 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carbs. She has me eating protein with every meal and snack. The recomendations they give you on this site are very low, it will not hurt you to go over them, you can change your settings for protein so that you don't see thoes red numbers everyday, but in the end, protein helps keep you fuller longer and is great, unless you are consuming a silly amount of protein you will be good.