strength training burns cals too!

Options
bbush18
bbush18 Posts: 207 Member
Why doesn't MFP show that strangth training burns calories too? Cardio isn't the only way to burn cals!! Does anyone know how where to find a site that has a wide range of strength training and how many cals you burn doing reps and sets??

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Enter it into the cardio section to add the calories to your goal. The strength training section is really just to let you track your progress in lifting.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    you can search under cardio and find strength train and have it count that way
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I wear a hRM and then add it under cardio. The key point about strength training really is that you will burn fat all day long if you consistently do proper strength training each week.
  • LisaMynatt
    Options
    I have the BL Wii game and it shows calories burned. I was very surprised at the difference in calories burned doing strength training vs. cardio - strength training is much lower! Circuit training is great because it works a large muscle group with a small muscle group - so you burn alot more calories! :)
  • rixeyce
    rixeyce Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't know of a site, but you could get a heart rate monitor and track it that way, then enter it manually each session.
  • MaryS910
    MaryS910 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    As other's have said, just enter it as Strength Training in the Cardio section. While you can enter your separate exercises, it doesn't count any of the calories burned and it's very time consuming to enter. If you put strength training, iyou'll at least know that you worked out with weights that day. I think it is very important to do both. Cardio will help you lose weight but if you want to have any hope of not having saggy skin from your weight loss, you have GOT to tone those muscles. In the past I have managed to avoid the sagginess after weight loss but I am 52 now so the jury is still out. Ladies, work those arms while you are losing weight or the skin is going to hang and you'll hate going sleeveless.
  • MaryS910
    MaryS910 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I have the BL Wii game and it shows calories burned. I was very surprised at the difference in calories burned doing strength training vs. cardio - strength training is much lower! Circuit training is great because it works a large muscle group with a small muscle group - so you burn alot more calories! :)

What is the BL WII game? I have a WII but no exercise programs. Do you find it works? Do you feel you have gotten a good workout when you have finished it? I wonder if I should get one to help vary my routine as now I do Gym and my home recumbant bike and am starting to ride my real bike.
  • rcgrissom
    rcgrissom Posts: 17
    Options
    http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc - This site takes into consideration your weight
    http://www.healthdiscovery.net/links/calculators/calorie_calculator.htm - This site includes lbs and time spent.
    Forgot this one:

http://www.fitday.com/webfit/burned/calories_burned_Conditioning_exercise.html - Really great options
    I use them. :-)