Fiber

Options
Is it bad to take in more fiber than recommended?

Replies

• Jump_Start
    Options
    Is it bad to take in more fiber than recommended?
  • Kathe
    Kathe Posts: 10
    Options
    The average person should have 30 - 32 grams per day. And remember to drink enough water so you don't get constipated.

I was just coming on here to ask where you can see how much fiber you are getting daily? It must be there, I'm just not seeing it.

As far as too much, it's pretty hard to overdue on the fiber but if you do, you might take away some of the nutrients you should be getting. I do know that if you don't get enough fiber that toxins, fat, etc can build up. Fibers job is to help eliminate those. A university study claimed that a group of participants who doubled their fiber lost 10# without doing anything else. I'll try to find it and post the actual study.

Fiber is one of the big keys to successful and healthy weight loss. It also helps to keep nasty toxins and excess hormones from your system.

Kathe
  • Kathe
    Options
    Never mind, I just found it. Also realized that today already I've had 50 grams of fiber so now I have to look into this and see if there is anything wrong with too much fiber. I'll post if/when I find out anything.

Kathe
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I found this on the internet. Hope it helps

Can You Get Too Much Fiber?

Some health care experts believe that eating more than 35 grams of fiber per day may adversely affect vitamin and mineral absorption. While this is technically true, rarely does anyone eat near that amount of fiber. Most of us don't eat even the small amount we need. While it is true that some fibers may absorb calcium, zinc, iron and magnesium, and while the presence of fiber in the intestines may inhibit the absorption of certain nutrients, these effects are present only under extreme conditions. In other words, don't let the fear of becoming nutrient deficient stop you from boosting you fiber intake. This particular phenomenon does not pose a significant threat. The marvelous benefits of fiber far outweigh the remote possibility that you will eat quantities large enough to pose any problem.
  • Kathe
    Options
    I found this....http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1317.html

Alice likes fiber talk... fiber and fecal bulk. What do they have in common? More than you think....

Fiber improves large intestine function and keeps the muscles of the large intestine strong. In other words, it speeds up the transit time of food and increases the size of stool (fecal bulk), thereby helping prevent constipation and hemorrhoids. Fiber also lowers blood cholesterol, helps control diabetes, and plays a role in the prevention of colon cancer. Fiber is a very important component in weight control as well. Foods that contain fiber are typically low in fat, and one recent study showed that fiber may also block some of the digestion of fat and protein. In this study, U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) researchers set a certain number of calories for subject groups and altered the fiber content. Results demonstrated that fewer calories wer e absorbed with increased fiber intake. When a man increased his fiber intake from 18 to 36 grams per day, he absorbed 130 fewer calories daily. When a woman increased her fiber intake from 12 to 24 grams per day, she absorbed 90 fewer calories daily. Ove r a years time, this could add up to nine to ten pounds! Pretty great stuff, don’t you think? (Source: Tufts University Health & Nutrition Letter, April 1998)

However, having too much fiber in one’s diet can cause problems. When the intake of fiber is too high, it can replace other energy and nutrients that you need in your diet. Some insoluble fibers bind certain minerals, including calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, and iron. Too much fiber can also cause abdominal discomfort, gas, and diarrhea, and block the gastrointestinal (GI) tract if you add too much fiber too fast. So, go slowly to give your GI tract time to adapt and drink lots of fluids to keep the fiber soft. Also, choose a variety of soluble and insoluble fiber-rich food sources: fruits, vegetables, whole grain breads and cereals, and legumes (beans and peas). Remember that brown rice and 100% whole wheat bread are better than white rice or w hite bread, and eat the skins of your fruits and vegetables whenever possible.

Overall, fiber is a good thing. No, Alice believes it is a great thing! Alice’s advice to you: shoot for 25 to 30 grams a day and see if you notice any differences in measures of your health.

THEN this.....http://www.wegmans.com/eatwelllivewell/healthyEating/fiber.asp This is a nice article on fiber, different types, what each type does, etc.

Kathe
  • Kathe
    Options
    One more thing on fiber. If you start adding more fiber in your diet and get gassy it means you need to drink more water. Drink a big glass of water and your gassiness should be gone in 30 min or less.

Kathe
  • Kathe
    Options
    http://www.gicare.com/pated/edtgs01.htm Another good article. Kathe
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    According to Dr Oz...Fiber also help keep your heart healthy and your skin young. I AM ALL FOR THE YOUNG SKIN THING!!!
    I do not think there is such a thing as too much fiber.
    I eat a LOT of fiber through the day. Apples, Dark Green Veggies, Carrots, basic salad stuff.
    It fills me up and keeps me healthy. AND keeps me going without a blood sugar spike and fall like a lot of other foods can.
    Personally I LOVE MY FIBER!
    :bigsmile:
    --Diann...
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    As a veggie, I AVERAGE 50 grams a day. I'm not anemic, but I will ask my doctor if he thinks it's a problem (physical next week) and get back to you.

Diane - are you on the YOU diet? I would like to discuss if you are
  • Jump_Start
    Options
    Well thank you all very much. :happy:
  • Razboo
    Razboo Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm pro fibre! :happy:

BTW, William Shatner could take Dr Oz. :smokin: