Bored with counting calories

Options
So I'm stuck in a rut. I don't really feel like counting calories anymore. It just gets annoying anymore and I've only been doing it for a month! I thought I would really enjoy counting calories. I'm training for a marathon in 9 weeks, Ironman 70.3 Boulder in August, and probably another marathon in October. I don't really know if I should be counting or restricting calories based on my exercise regimen these days.

Any thoughts? I'm at a healthy weight right now. My goal is basically to lose about 5 more pounds and tone up my body so I can look better in a bikini (even though I don't live near an ocean!). I'm 5'9" and weigh 142 (give or take a pound or two, depending on the day).

Thanks all!

Replies

• scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    When I felt like that, I stopped. I was on a pretty steady eating plan so I knew around how many calories I was actually eating.

Vanity weight is the hardest to lose because it really does come down to "is it worth it?"
  • taldie01
    taldie01 Posts: 378
    Options
    Ya I wouldnt restrict too much with that amount of training. You might actually lose those last few lbs when you stop training. Thats what happened to me anyways. I never counted when I trained for a full
  • MrsHinds7
    MrsHinds7 Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I get bored with it. I actually re-energized myself by changing my meal names. I went under my diary settings and created all new names for my meals and created more meals because instead of eating three meals per day, I tend to have healthy snacks and my doctor recommended 5-6meals per day. I also changed out the nutrients I was tracking by adding columns where I can watch my fiber and sugar intake because I was curious about how much I was getting in my system. I know it seems like a silly reason to make me want to count calories again but it was interesting to see the difference in the breakdown and focus on other nutrients. But since you're running a marathon, you could watch vitamin c since thats important for exercise, or other nutrients that you want to make sure are in your system. Good luck!
  • kstw
    kstw Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    For me, counting calories is a means to a goal. I, personally, will have changed my eating habits by the time I reach my goal and that is what this site is for me. A means to learn portion size and what is good for me. I've already realized my eating habits before MFP were horrid. My metabolism had gotten so sluggish and I lived on fast foods. Now I love fruits and veggies, the occasional meal out and I know what is and is not good for me. I will probably be on here at least all of this year! I plan to get myself in a healthy place and then, when I am sure I can maintain, I will probably only occasionally visit my page on MFP. I believe you learn what is good for you, what will make you gain and what you can control. In my own situation THAT is the key, I had developed horrible eating habits as well as no good exercise. When you reach your goal, you will know how it feels to wear your clothes and, if you try to maintain on your own, you will know when pants are tighter or things fit differently. Then you can scale back, check your calories and keep yourself in check. It has taken me many years to gain, it will take me time to lose; and I had to get my mind in the right place to want to and understand why I needed to have a healthier lifestyle. I guess what I am saying is, staying on here and counting calories is not what you will use to keep yourself at the weight you want to be. What you learn from utilizing this site and counting calories is that you learn what is truly good for your body and for your well-being, it is a changed lifestyle, not a diet.