Sciatic Nerve help

Options
Does anyonw know any exercises/stretches that will help alleviate sciatic nerve pain?? Yes I am going to the dr soon just wondering for in the meantime! Thanks!

Replies

• lovemyhellokitty
    lovemyhellokitty Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would love to hear the answers for this one :)
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    dips where the feet are not touching at all throughout the workout, bosu ball exercises where you are stretching the spine out across it in a myotatic crunch.
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    hamstring stretching
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Options
    I had Sciatica HORRIBLE while pregnant. My gyno had me get on my hands and knees with a strait back. Slowly thrust your back up into a curve, as far as you can (comfortaby) push it. Then slowly thrust it down to where your back is bent in a half moon shape and your belly button is moving closer to the floor. Repeat 5 x's as needed.

This really helped me, I hope it helps you too!
  • hphurley
    hphurley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    oh my gosh i know it all too well.
    If you're in a lot of pain, lie on your back with your legs bent at 90 degrees and elevated so your shin is parallel with the floor (use something to prop your legs up)

Some stretches you might be able to do are called "sloppy push-ups" (depending on how bad you are). Lay on your stomach with a small pillow under your hips/lower abdomen to ease the stress. Then push upwards gently like a push-up but don't keep your back stiff. Let your lower back fall toward the floor, but don't force anything - just let gravity do the stretch.

This is the stretch that all of my physiotherapists recommended - it's universal. I'm sure you could look some pics online if you are confused.
  • Fiona711
    Fiona711 Posts: 17
    Options
    Been there, did that last year!

If you've got a disc pushing on the nerve then you might need more than just exercises, but a short course of physical therapy, where you're supervised doing exercises could be your first step. My therapist had me doing a whole lot of core-strengthening plus I did a lot of walking - not brisk walking, but slower and more focused on posture.

I know sciatic nerve pain is horrible, so good luck to you!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    How do you know it's Sciatica, or were you diagnosed with this by a physio?

Only asking because there are many other conditions that are similar such as Piriformis, Sacroilliac Joint Dysfunction etc etc.
  • emilylaura7
    Options
    I had Sciatica HORRIBLE while pregnant. My gyno had me get on my hands and knees with a strait back. Slowly thrust your back up into a curve, as far as you can (comfortaby) push it. Then slowly thrust it down to where your back is bent in a half moon shape and your belly button is moving closer to the floor. Repeat 5 x's as needed.

This really helped me, I hope it helps you too!
    \

This is called the Cat Stretch...i have degenerative discs and i do this one alot as well. it feels great, especially when you arch your back up!
  • Cheeks768
    Cheeks768 Posts: 15
    Options
    I have had a lot of problems with sciatic nerve pain. My chiropractor has me do stretches that target the piriformis muscle because the sciatic nerve runs under it and if the muscle is tight it puts pressure on the nerve.

Here's a link that might help:
    http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com/archives/piriformis-syndrome.php
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am having issues with sciatica right now. I was flat on my back for 3 1/2 weeks because of this. It shot down my right hip down my right thigh right knee right calf and made my right foot go numb. I am only surviving now on 4 different medications because nothing I have done has helped otherwise. No stretches nothing. Not to mention it hurt to move. It was Crazy! I hope these stretches help you.
  • randa_behnam
    randa_behnam Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    i have sciatica too, it comes and goes and when it comes...damn!!!

Im not a doctor but i do know of something that helps relieve the pain slightly....you can buy these for this purpose, but you know those shock patches you can buy that send currents to your muscles and nerves and are supposed to give you a six pack....well i attach a couple of pads where the sciatic nerve is and put it on a low setting and it sends currents to the nerve causing the pain and it relieves it.

again I am not a doctor, this works for me but dont do it without consulting your GP first cos you may cause yourself more injury.
  • DoReMiFaSoLaTiDo
    Options
    Oh My Gawdddd you guys have read my mind.... I I used to get Sciata pain regularly and haven't had any in years...UNTIL LATE NIGHT!!

I'm wondering if I aggravated it with exercise??
  • brneydgrlie
    brneydgrlie Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I had sciatica too. Went to a chiropractor, and in addition to the cat stretch another poster mentioned, he told me to do stretches and exercises with a stability ball. That helped alot.

But what actually made it go away was that I stopped eating dairy. Strange, I know!

I found out that I have a sensitivity - when I eat dairy, it causes me to get all stuffed up. Turns out that stuffed up feeling is inflammation, and sciatica is an inflamed nerve. Started noticing that within a half hour of eating dairy, my leg would be KILLING me. Stopped eating dairy, and have not had any sciatica pain in about 3 months now.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I'm really sad to see all of you having to deal with this, it's pretty awful. I have recently learned it runs through my family like wild fire after getting in touch with cousins I hadn't seen in years.

For me the best thing has just been to keep moving, which is hard I know when it flares up, but the more I move the less problems I have. As soon as I start spending a couple three days sitting around, then it flares up. I know a guy who runs an insurance office, he moved his desk to the top of tall filing cabinets, where he can stand all day and his has gone away. I would try all kinds of stretches and what not and they never helped. It was that I just needed to keep moving.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I ran across this link the other day. See if it helps you. My back is much better, but seeing how I just had three disks repaired, it better feel better.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/kcannone?feature=pyv&ad=3991693364&kw=back pain exercise&gclid=CJj_0JPOhKgCFQEHbAodgGeGqA#p/u/0/u_alXoZ4774

Ted
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just had a flare up last week and through the weekend. It hurt so bad I couldn't hardly sit at church Sunday. Going to my chiropractor REALLY helps alleviate the pain - I went yesterday and today I feel 1000% better. He also gives me some stretches that I saw people had mentioned, like the cat stretch, but also a couple where my hubby helps stretch out my leg while in the air. SO helpful!

GOOD LUCK!