im going to lose 10 lbs tomorrow

Options
lloydrt
lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
yep, at least 8 - 10 lbs all in 24 hours.....

.lol, the worst thing Im going to have to go thru this year, ....my first colonoscopy......yuk

i start tomorrow taking the pill and drinking that HalkLytely that makes you "lose" weight.( I picked up the HalfLytely and Bisacodyl tablet Bowel Prep kit that is prescribed by my Dr yesterday) ........talk about one of the worst things that I really really dont want to do, but according to my Dr, I need one, and like I said its my first..........

Anyone with any advice or war stories on how you "handeled" drinking the 2 Litres of HalfLytely that is used for the day before, please dont hesitate to let me know. I did go online and one hint was to get it as cold as possible when you drink it and mix in Crystal lite, to kill that absolutely horrible taste that I have heard about.....

I did talk to one couple who both had thiers, and lol, talk about war stories..........I know the need to have it done is really important, they look for polups or cancers down there, its just that I have an irrational fear of going under from anasthesia and Im always afraid I wont wake up.........truly, getting a colonoscopy for me, has to be for me, the absolute worst........
thanks for any tips or hints to get me thru this living hell............Lloyd

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that you have to go thru that. I've been there, and yes the drinking is the worst thing you can put in your mouth. I forgot if I drink the exactly the same, if not it's similar. To me, the worst is the smell (which smells like those liquid we used to clean toilet bowl, YUK). The only way for me to drink that was to pinch my nose (even after I finish the drink...), yes, as cold as possible. Good luck and hope everything goes well with this living hell experience.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    My husband had his first a few years ago. The "cleansing" part was nasty, but the very worst part for him was the wait. His appointment was for 10:30am, and he didn't go in until after 1pm! On a completely empty stomach... and everything else. He thought he was going pass out from hunger.
  • ngoat
    ngoat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    NOT A FUN EXPERIENCE AT ALL!! The actual procedure is fine.. There is some discomfort afterwards but more mental than anything I think. The drinking of the liquid.. well that is another story. It starts out bad just being that you cant eat any thing besides this horrible tasting drink. Once it hits your digestive track, don't be more than a rooms distance from the bathroom.. when it hits it hits hard and fast.. it thought i was dyeing.. my stomach was on fire like never before... it just flat out sucks.. sorry for all of the negative words but I think it is better to know what is coming.. I wish you the best and it will be over soon...
  • Dani724
    Dani724 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had one last year and the best advice I was given was to cut back on food a few days before. I also had to drink that stuff but it came with a flavor packet so it wasn't terrible. The worst part about it is that it was kind of thick so it was hard to drink 8 oz every 15 min. (that was the directions on mine). I honeslty don't think the colonoscopy was terrible. I was starving the day before which was the worst part for me. I'm not sure why people have such a hard time with a colonoscopy. I really worked myself up for nothing.

Good luck!! :)
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Hiya - sorry to hear you've got a colonoscopy coming up.

Yeah the bowel prep stuff is grim - STAY NEAR A LOO!! Seriously! When I had both of mine, I made the downstairs loo a no go area for anyone but me (and believe me, that was a good thing!).

It is a lot of water to drink - I can't remember my instructions, but I felt horribly bloated until things started happening! Then because I knew that drinking it would make me run to the loo, I really didn't want to continue, but needs must.

I'm not sure what prep you've been given, sounds a bit different from mine - I had a small sachet of powder which I had to add some cold water to and it heated up and then have the jug of the other sachets.

The procedure wasn't as bad as I thought - are you having full anaesthetic? I had a local both times, so the doc could instruct me to move about etc.

It wasn't as bad as I thought, although I think the local anaesthetic makes you woozy enough to forget about it. Obviously if you're having a full anaesthetic, you won't remember anything about it! I always think a good anaethetist is worth their weight in gold for putting patients at ease.

Good luck :-)
  • aunienue
    aunienue Posts: 416
    Options
    I haven't had one yet but my husband is having his first soon....the doctor told him that the worst part was the fasting - only clear liquids for 24 hours.

I know this doesn't help but my mother-in-law (who was like a Mom to me) died of colon cancer. If she had of had a colonoscopy she would be alive today...

It is what it is....it will be over soon and you'll be glad you had it done. Good luck.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Never had a colonoscopy but I am a RN and from what I can tell, getting it cold is the key. Also, I understand your fear of anesthesia, I have it myself. But I'm pretty sure the type of anesthesia that will be used with the colonoscopy won't actually "put you under". It's called conscious sedation, the name is a joke, you aren't conscious! It's just a fast acting sedative that will put you down (that sounds like vet talk, sorry), and hopefully keep you from remembering the procedure. Also called the amnesia medicine. But, for some reason, they do "put you under", talk with the nurse and/or doctor about your fears and they may can give you something before all the other. Good Luck!!
  • kalin_ranae
    Options
    The HalfLytely kit comes with four different flavors to choose from so just mix your favorite flavor powder with the power in the jug. Then add your water and get it cold. Good luck. I've never drank the kit but many of my patients in the pharmacy have and I've heard its not pleasant. Get it cold and use the flavor pack! Good luck again.
  • monfil
    monfil Posts: 1
    Options
    Can't remember what hubby had to drink when he had his last year, but its probably best not to mix Crystal light. If the drink mix has a red dye, it will be absorbed by your system and the color will interfere with the "view". You will have to take the test again. My husband's results came back just fine and he handled going under like a champ. The procedure itself takes very little time. The prep is definitely the worst, but its best to have the procedure done. Good luck!
  • Jenn3073
    Jenn3073 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 of these now, and the worst part is the prep. Gatorade works best for me to drown out the taste. With regards to the sedation, it was like I fell asleep and woke up just after. Thankfully it causes you to NOT remember the procedure. ;-)

In the long run you'll be happy you did it. good luck.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    thank you all for those tips......they will defintely be put to good use.......wish me luck

lol, hey can I use those lbs lost tomorrow on my ticker........lol

nah, just kidding, Im going to weigh myself before and after, but wont adjust till next week..........Lloyd
  • janetv3
    janetv3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Lloyd,

I had my first colonoscopy last month......................don't worry being put to sleep,,,, you'll wake up and say did you do it yet? as for drinking the yukky stuff..................I hated it...... and it's true you do lose weight... I lost 5 lbs...you'll be fine .:smile:
  • jeneey
    jeneey Posts: 48
    Options
    Hi Lloyd,

Like others have said, the worst part is the prep. I've had two because of hx of colon cancer in my family. As soon as I got to the hospital they started an IV of normal saline and felt better instantly. Don't worry about the anesthesia, it is probably Versed which just puts you to sleep (some people actually watch it - my dad) and you wake up not even knowing you were invaded :S They told me when they gave me the Versed to "take a little nap" and that is what it felt like. In drinking your stuff, make it cold, hold your breath and don't breathe through your nose, get it down asap and follow with water. Oh and of course, stay VERY near a toilet. You want to get to the "Mountain Dew" phase. :0) Hugs to you!
  • Lisamariemlt
    Lisamariemlt Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear you have to drink that
    they have a new drink here
    less and tastes better
    so glad they changed things up here---good luck to you and sending good vibes your way for a speedy afterward

oh yah
    they tell yah to fart after
    at least here you have to before they send yah home

don't be shy
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
  • hyper_stitch
    hyper_stitch Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Good luck, as already said the procedure itself is fine but the prep is rough, I think to get it cold is good advice. I just stand over the sink, stare straight ahead and glug it down lol The flavours don't help me personally, all they've done is give me issues drinking other flavoured drinks ewwww

It's only one day :flowerforyou:
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My dad has to do this alot and just stays in bed and does not go to far from the toilet.
    I just wanted to say best of luck x
  • luvamig
    luvamig Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    sorry to hear you have to drink that
    they have a new drink here
    less and tastes better
    so glad they changed things up here---good luck to you and sending good vibes your way for a speedy afterward

oh yah
    they tell yah to fart after
    at least here you have to before they send yah home

don't be shy

HAHA! Use that to get back at them for making you starve for a day!
  • loriannmartin
    loriannmartin Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    the drink is the worst blaaa but have your bathroom ready with anything you might need. take your phone,books,h2o,just when you think your done you will be back in there or stand up and sit back down....lol.... get some flushable wipes / after my procedure i dont remember dressing myself( i thought someone else dressed me) i kept asking my hubby what time was it... he said i asked him at least 20 times, i dont remember lol felt better after a meal and nap ... oh and a cup of coffee that one was hard not to have. good luck hope all goes well.
  • HotMommy0609
    Options
    I've had 2 colonoscopies. You should ask your GI if you can do the Miralax prep. It's really the easiest and tasteless one. Mix it with Gatorade and you're good to go (literally!). I couldn't imagine drinking the HalfLytely - I've heard it's awful. The worst part is limiting your diet and doing the prep. I'll tell you, broth never tasted so good as when I was doing the prep!

The procedure is a piece of cake, I've always been completely out and woke up in a great mood (the drugs are fantastic!). They should give you a drink and a snack as soon as you're in recovery. I've always felt fine when I left.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!