Looking for a good book

Options

Replies

• abray84
    abray84 Posts: 55
    Options
    Anything by Kristan Higgins, Kristan Hannah, Rachel Gibson, Susan Mallery....these are romance authors but not like the Harlequin books....Actually good reads
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which genre you like best, but here are some of my favorites separated by genre....

Classic Literature:
    Gone With the Wind- Margaret Mitchell
    Jane Eyre- Charlotte Bronte
    Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austin

Historical Fiction:
    Nefertiti- Michelle Moran
    The Heretic Queen- Michelle Moran
    Cleopatra's Daughter- Michelle Moran
    Truth is the Soul of the Sun series- Maria Isabel Pita

Young Adult:
    Twilight Series- Stephanie Meyer
    Almost anything V.C. Andrews
    Matched- Ally Condie

Random ones:
    Memoirs of a Geisha- Arthur Golden
    Wicked- Gregory Maguire
    The Magic of Ordinary days- Ann Howard

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I have a library at home and in my Kindle though, if you have a Kindle and know of a way to share books, I can give you some of mine.
  • alex215
    alex215 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy most books by Chuck Palahniuk. I'm currently reading Diary and so far its good.
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy most books by Chuck Palahniuk. I'm currently reading Diary and so far its good.

I've read most of his books and I've ordered his new book "Damned" that is coming out in October.

Got my gf to read "Snuff" and she actually liked it, I'm trying to get her to read "Fight Club" too.
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    On a Pale Horse by Piers Anthony
    Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
  • Pearcecat
    Pearcecat Posts: 68
    Options
    I also like the Tess Gerritson series of books..they keep you intrigued.
    I finished a book recently and would really recommend it if you fancy reading a police/murder book..it was 'The Burning' by Jane Casey. It was brilliant-a real page turner!!
  • jlzrdking
    jlzrdking Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Here is a great web site to keep up with books read, wanting to read or just look for something new to read:

http://www.goodreads.com/
  • 1favoredlady
    1favoredlady Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Holding Her Head High bY Janine Turner-A story about 12 single mothers overcoming obstacles, even a story on one of our late President's Mothers!! WOnderful Book.
  • sheilabennett
    Options

Have you read Survivor?? That's my favourite... But I hear Tell All is really really good.
  • Heather1776
    Heather1776 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    "The Last Song" & "The Wedding" Nicholas Sparks
    "Change of Heart", "My Sister's Keeper", & "Handle with Care" Jodi Picoult
    "Twilight Series"
    Alex Cross Series by James Patterson
    "Water for Elephants"
  • kamorgozo
    kamorgozo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Bill Bryson - he's written books on all sorts of topics, but I think his travel narratives are the best. In A Sunburned County is my favorite, there's also A Walk in the Woods, Neither Here Nor There, tons more. I also like his autobiography, The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.

I highly recommend any of Jane Austen's novels. Umm... I just reread To Kill A Mockingbird, and fell in love again.

Have you read the Wicked series by Gregory McGuire? Wicked, Son of a Witch & A Lion Among Men, all excellent.

Great thread idea - I'm an avid reader and always looking for good finds!
  • LauraLLee
    LauraLLee Posts: 210
    Options
    Best book I have read in a long time is "The Shack"

:bigsmile:

That is a really good book!
  • alex215
    Options

Have you read Survivor?? That's my favourite... But I hear Tell All is really really good.

That is one my favorite from him as well.

Have you read Pygmy by Palahniuk? If you have how did you manage to do it?...if you haven't I wouldn't recommend it unless you can read engrish. The whole book is written in broken English. I bought it at the airport and as soon as I opened it I was confused and found it very hard to follow. I flipped through the book and discovered the whole book is written this way, so now i have a book that i will probably never read. lol
  • sheilabennett
    Options

Have you read Pygmy by Palahniuk? If you have how did you manage to do it?...if you haven't I wouldn't recommend it unless you can read engrish. The whole book is written in broken English. I bought it at the airport and as soon as I opened it I was confused and found it very hard to follow. I flipped through the book and discovered the whole book is written this way, so now i have a book that i will probably never read. lol

I own Pygmy, but I have been scared to read it. I read the first page, and like you said, it was ridiculously hard to follow... but now I see it as kind of a challenge.. although its going to have to happen when I actually have time to sit down and pay attention. And maybe when I've had a beer or two!!
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    If you like romance (without it being all cheesy and lame) and fantasy, The Mating was pretty awesome. The name kind of sucks, it isn't as nasty as it sounds...haha. It is about werewolves.
  • alex215
    Options

I own Pygmy, but I have been scared to read it. I read the first page, and like you said, it was ridiculously hard to follow... but now I see it as kind of a challenge.. although its going to have to happen when I actually have time to sit down and pay attention. And maybe when I've had a beer or two!!

I kind of feel the same way about it... maybe someday I will read it after I read all his other books, so I got 6 more to go.
  • Zuznana
    Zuznana Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Angela's ashes by Frank McCourt.

Can't praise this book enough. After this book, he wrote 'Tis and Teacher men. But Angela's ahes is my favourite of the 3. :smile:
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    the pact by jodi picoult is my all-time fav. i read it 5 times before i could bring myself to read the last chapter because i didnt want to know!! haha its a real page-turner.
  • sheilabennett
    Options

I kind of feel the same way about it... maybe someday I will read it after I read all his other books, so I got 6 more to go.

Which other ones have you read?
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    Stephanie Plum number serious by Janet Evanovich.... love them all.