Where are you? Feel like giving up?

Options
I was thinking today about those people who joined back in January. There have been a lot of new friend requests that I have accepted that I no longer see posts from. I get it. Some people just don't have the motivation to do this. BUT, what if they stuck with it?

I began my MFP journey on August 20th, 2010. Now I gave up the scale and the measuring tape for Lent, so at the moment I have NO idea where I am (and yes, it's frustrating). However, as of Ash Wednesday (for those of you who don't know, that means March 9th) I was down 56 lbs. That's 56 lbs in 7 months. Its a little at a time, but CONSISTENTLY coming off.

At the rate I lost weight (56 lbs in 25 weeks - that's 2.24 lbs per week) from my start date to Ash Wednesday, if those people who joined January first were still here, , and lost weight at the same rate as I have, they would have lost 33.6 lbs by now. I wonder how many of those people who quit would have reached their goals already?

It's frustrating to think like this. I genuinely care about people, and I want to see them succeed. I want to see them meet their goals. When I accept a friend request, I accept it because I WANT to help them. Now this is not a judgment or a rant, it's just a state of being.

I wish people would tell me they're quitting. I'd try to talk them out of it. I wish people would tell me when they're having difficulty... I would help them through it. Honestly if I can lose 56 lbs in 25 weeks, without killing myself, without surgery, and without starving myself, So can you.

There are days when it's really hard. I know. Like yesterday when I broke my laptop that just had fixed a month ago. I wanted to eat. It was an accident, but I was so pissed off at myself that I wanted to just pig out and punish myself. You know what I did instead? I went for a walk. Then I went to the mall and bought a birthday gift for my sister, and stopped at the Furry Babies store to play with the puppies. Then I went to Lowe's and did some window shopping for my dream kitchen (that will probably never happen). I got my mind off it, and went on about my day. By the time I got home, I didn't want to punish myself anymore.

I just want everyone who reads this to know that it's not that hard. It's not that bad. You CAN love yourself. You CAN reach your goals. If I can do it, everyone can. And I'm convinced that I can!

Replies

• forty3fab
    forty3fab Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I joined in January and I am still here!!! Granted, I have only lost 6 pounds since joining, but I am still here and still trying.

Congratulations on such a great attitude and your fabulous weight loss!
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Way to go Fab! So glad you're still here with us!
  • phy40
    phy40 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. That's to easy. Keep trying, everyday is another opportunity to try again. Keep the Faith!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • A1Ortega
    A1Ortega Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since early December. I didn't cheat, but that scale sure moves slowly. I fell off the wagon last week and I'm really losing motivation. I am certainly not going to reach my goal of 145 by my birthday (next week). I'll be lucky if I'm still 149. . . .
  • A1Ortega
    A1Ortega Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've been at this since early December. I didn't cheat, but that scale sure moves slowly. I fell off the wagon last week and I'm really losing motivation. I am certainly not going to reach my goal of 145 by my birthday (next week). I'll be lucky if I'm still 149. . . .
  • cenafan
    cenafan Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    people need to believe they are worth the change they are trying to implement. There is no making anyone want to do this. we have to want it. it's obvious the people that are not ready to start/finish the journey. it's hard to watch, but you can't change it for them. I know I'm ready this time. I will get there....little by little
  • Kminor67
    Options

Don't give up! You can do this! Just because you don't meet a goal by a self-imposed deadline doesn't mean you can't reach it. So what if it takes a little longer? At least you'll get there!
  • Sarahr73
    Sarahr73 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Good post, reminds me of how I felt the other day. I was so frustrated at things going on in my life that I wanted to eat also. But, instead, I worked extra hard at Curves later in the day.
    It is hard sometimes, and I too wish people would ask for help or at least post and say they are having a difficult time. That's part of what this site is about. It's a social network of people who have similar goals....to get fit. And people with similar goals build stronger binds than people without similar goals, so we can be like a 2nd family to each other and keep everyone motivated.
    Thanks for the morning inspiration!
  • surv8r
    surv8r Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I joined in mid-Feb, I've logged in every day & I'm still going strong!

I've lost 26lbs, and dropped 1 pant & shirt size so far.

I started 7 weeks ago barely walking a mile... yesterday, I walked/jogged 5 miles!

I FEEL GREAT!!!
  • Kminor67
    Options
    I joined in mid-Feb, I've logged in every day & I'm still going strong!

I've lost 26lbs, and dropped 1 pant & shirt size so far.

I started 7 weeks ago barely walking a mile... yesterday, I walked/jogged 5 miles!

I FEEL GREAT!!!

WAY TO GO!!!!!!
  • acmcoc
    acmcoc Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I also started this in Jan. I'm still here and not going anywhere! I also have friends on my list that I think have just plain given up. There's one I know ws having a real hard time getting her calories under controll, so I sent her a personal message with some good websites for lower calorie meals and snacks. She was so greatful but I don't think she has even logged in for a week! I'm here to lose weight and not give up. So thank you mfp for all the support!!!:smile: