Newly vegetarian, and looking for others to befriend :)

Options
I have no vegetarian friends, so I feel isolated sometimes. My fiance eats veg with me at home, but when we go out to eat it's no holds barred. My daughter is veg with me at home as well, but she will still eat what daddy has while we're out. He is very supportive of my choices, and never says anything negative about them. My mom is understanding, but my dad, on the other hand is definitely not. He's always talking about what I can't have anymore. It's not that I can't have it, it's that I don't want it! Big difference. I have actually been wanting to go veg for a long time, but just never did because of fear I guess. But now, I know what I want, what I don't want, and that I'm going to be in control of my life. So I'm hoping to find some friends online to chat with and swap recipes. It would just be nice to talk to others with the same thoughts about things as myself.

Replies

• psugirl
    psugirl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Been a vegetarian my whole life (my whole family is). It's actually pretty easy, there are tons of options (I don't know any other way so it seems easy to me). I would love to offer recipes but my cooking basically ends at PB&J. Being a veggie and short on time to cook, I do a lot of snacking on fruits and veggies...I don't have "meals" all the time. I keep the fridge stocked with my favorites (strawberries, apples, celery, watermelon, carrots, etc) washed and cut up and just pull out the container and leave it out on the coffee table and munch all evening while studying. I also do a lot of chocolate pudding, cottage cheese, and yogurt. When I do have time for a real meal, I usually go mexican (sub beans for meat), asian (sub tofu for meat), or italian. Another staple in my diet is hummus and of course salads. Most restaurants will make food veggie for you as well (I've had a Big Mac, no meat several times...they look at you crazy, but it's pretty good and reasonable as a treat here and there as long as you skip the fries and soda).

Good luck - feel free to friend me!
  • JNiday
    JNiday Posts: 4
    Options
    Hey, fellow vegetarian here. I've been one now for about a year and a half. Decided to switch to a vegetarian diet one morning just to give it a shot, and never looked back. I come from a family of hunters, so I expected it to be a pretty difficult change, but it went much smoother than I thought.
  • brandicockrum
    brandicockrum Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for your inputs! It's nice to know I'm not alone. My family was always a meat and potatoes type, and usually a lot of fried foods. So basically my diet growing up wasn't really super healthy to begin with. But now that I know what is available out there, I'm trying all different kinds of foods. Last night was lentils, and it wasn't good at all. But I'll try them cooked another way before ruling them out.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Hi hun

Well done on making the change. I am 26 and a vegetarian 8 years now. I became a vegetarian for ethical reasons not because i wanted to diet,trust me you can be a unhealthy veggie hence why i am here LOL.
    All my family except my older sister are all big meat eaters and to be honest once i made up my mind that was it. My boyfriend also loves his meat but over the last two years has started eating more meat-less dinners not out of wanting to become a vegetarian but he likes them and it is easier to make one meal for us both so your husband might just come around without knowing.
    Have to say my boyfriends family have been great even his dad has gone out and bought some veggie books :smile: I have always been the one to each to there own and same comes to meat eaters. I believe what i believe so i do what makes me happy if my boyfriend/family member/friends want to eat meat so be it. Does not bother me at all.

Ohhhh woah macs(big mac no meat) are so nice!!