No/Low sodium ideas

Options
Hello! I know this is a reoccurring topic around these parts, but the search option isn't exactly ideal.

Much like many people on MFP I am concentrating on my last 10-20ish lbs and am actively watching my sodium intake. (I am a carb and sodium ADDICT beware.) I did pretty well keeping it below 2000mg a day, but cutting it down to 1500mg a day has proved harder. I eat pretty "clean" at least in regards to my old habits, it is a WORLD of difference. So I would appreciate any ideas, recipes, snacks! you could throw my way :o)

I am a big fan of almonds (no salt), but was recently warned about the % of fat (although it is deemed "healthy fat") I guess I just need a bit more variety and would love to hear ideas!

Thanks everyone :flowerforyou:

** I should also add I have been keeping my carbs low as well my protein high... it's like a double edge sword everywhere I turn!

Replies

• 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! I can't seem to even get it down to 2000mg because of what I eat for lunch. And since I'm trying to get more protein, things like string cheese, cottage cheese, and lunch meat have really high sodium.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I have been eating vegan since September 2010 and have been keeping my sodium below 1500 since March 2010. Feel free to take a look at my diary for some ideas. I read labels and choose the lowest sodium version I can find. My nutritionist told me I should try for 100 mg. sodium per serving on average. I find that pretty difficult. I read another view that said the sodium should not be higher than the calories. I find that easier to go by. Almond milk is my high sodium thing each day. And lately salsa. Otherwise I do pretty well.