How do you cook your sweet potatoes?

Options
shybelle
shybelle Posts: 254 Member
I have never been a real fan of sweet potatoes but here lately I have found myself wanting to give them a try! Tell me how you cook them or how you like them best!!

Replies

• kcanoni
    kcanoni Posts: 31
    Options
    I love baking mine. Just poke some holes in the spud and rub some oil or butter on it and throw it in the oven (around 350 or higher) and then I just keep an eye on it and when it is easily pierced by my fork I take it out and enjoy.

The thing I like most about a baked sweet potato is that you dont really need any butter or anything else to love it.
  • LaDiablesse
    LaDiablesse Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Most of the time I just throw them into the microwave. Baking is good as well when you have the time. I usually eat mine with some butter, and on occasion will add a little cinnamon to it.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Try this:

Slice (skin on!) into "fry" shape. Spray liberally with PAM. In a bowl, whisk together one egg white, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin. Spread the mix over the potatoes, and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 450 until crispy!
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I also bake mine, I do a little dab of butter and some pepper. They are very yummy:)
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I cut mine up and bake them with a little olive oil and usually season with all or any of these: black pepper, curry powder, smoked paprikia, garlic powder, or this cajun seasoning mix I have.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I like to grill them... I normally wrap them in aluminum foil and toss them right on the coals... makes the skin crispy. My one buddy swears to leave them unwrapped on the grill grate but I think they dry out too much
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Most often I steam mine and then season with lemon pepper.

But I also love to make a soup with pumpkin, sweet potato, chicken stock and curry powder ... yummo!

If you want to expoit the sweet element, microwave and then sprinkle with a tiny, tiny bit of butter, sprinkle of brown sugar, and some cinnamon or mixed spice ... tastes totally decadent, but can still be a healthy sweet (as long as you aren't too liberal with the butter and sugar)!
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I bought some at the store last night and plan on trying out some at home "fries" too!! If you google "Sweet potato fries" you'll get some quick easy ideas.
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    After piercing the potato, I wrap in foil then place in crockpot. Low for 10 hours.

Typically, I wrap the potato the night prior & place crockpot in fridge overnight. In morning, I put the crock inside the cooker turn on.

Once home, sweet potatoes are done.
  • Jami22
    Jami22 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I made some for the first time this weekend. I just made mashed sweet potatos. to see if my kids would like it. They were pretty good, just needed a little something extra that I didn't add, maybe brown sugar?
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I CUT THEM INTO FRIES, SPRAY WITH BUTTER PAM, BAKED THEM, WHEN ALMOST DONE, SPRINKLE SMALL AMOUT OF SPENDA AND BROWN SUGAR OR CINNAMON, GREAT!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    all of these sound good...there's a special Fat Loss issue of Oxygen Magazine that's been out for a while (still available) that has some good recipes for them as well as a bunch of recipes for fun toppings for baked sweet potatoes. Yum!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I love baking mine. Just poke some holes in the spud and rub some oil or butter on it and throw it in the oven (around 350 or higher) and then I just keep an eye on it and when it is easily pierced by my fork I take it out and enjoy.

The thing I like most about a baked sweet potato is that you dont really need any butter or anything else to love it.

Exactly what I was going to say. :happy:
  • Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I bake them, then put a little best life margarine and some apple pie spice. I also have a great recipe for a sweet potato salad!
  • armywife121110
    Options
    I've never actually had sweet potatoes until last week. My father used a smoker and smoked them and they were delicious!! Not the most practical way but it's the only way ive had them so far :)
  • Midcoast_Mermaid
    Options
    I either bake them whole and put a little brown sugar on them OR cut them into rounds and bake them with rosemary :)

DELICOUS. I alwasy hated them growing up, now I can't get enough!
  • SpaceMarkus
    SpaceMarkus Posts: 651
    Options
    wet paper towel and a microwave here :)
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Also had this recipe I typed up for a few friends last week:

Successfully threw this together, totally unplanned meal of stuff we had on hand...

3 boneless pork chops (about 1.2 pounds), cut into 1" chunks

2 large sweet potatoes, cut into 1" chunks

1 large granny smith apple, cut into 1" chunks

1 tsp. minced garlic

1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil

1/4 cup brown sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

small pat of butter

I used my favorite cast iron skillet to make this....so here goes:

1. Heat pan over medium-high heat, add oil to heat.

2. Add sweet potatoes and toss to cover with oil, continue tossing for a few minutes so they don't get burned.

3. Add pork and garlic and cook until pork is browned on all sides.

4. Add apples and stir it up, cover and allow to cook over medium heat. Didn't really pay attention to time...just checked the pork and potatoes for done ness...

5. When everything is cooked through, add pat of butter, cinnamon and brown sugar, toss to coat everything, cover again and cook for a few more minutes.

We had a little bit of corn with it because I knew that would help convince Gabriel to eat it. He liked it, with the exception of the apples...he probably would have prefered a red delicious apple in it instead of the granny smith. Anyhow, comes in at 410 calories for 4 servings. We really got about 5 servings out of it since we all had some and have enough for two lunches as well.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I usually bake them, but as we speak (or rather I type and you read) I'm going to cut them up and make some sweet potato fries! YUM!
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I actually buy yams over sweet potatoes. My favorite thing to do (and my kids like it too!) is to peel and chop one up into large french fry size pieces. Then I toss them in 2 tsp olive oil and various spices (ex: garlic salt, onion powder, dried parsley. Sometimes I add cinnamon and nutmeg) and broil them for 15-20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes or so. Keep an eye on them, once they start to burn they burn fast!

Super yummy!