Hunjgry Girl Cook Book

Options
justjess575
justjess575 Posts: 18 Member
I just saw Lisa Lillien on Rachel Ray and was wondering if anyone has tried her new 300 under 300 book. The idea sounds great. If I eat 300 calories for B, L, D that's only 900 calories. I could eat 3 snacks and still be way under my calories. The only problem is that I live in a small town and my library doesn't have the book so I can't preview it. Is it worth the buy? Another problem is, will I have to buy a lot of different foods? We are on a tight budget so if that is the case its a no for me. I'd love to her your input. Thanks!

Replies

• officer601
    Options
    Her cook book is Great!
  • lormsbee
    lormsbee Posts: 6
    Options
    Do you take her email? You can go to her web site and see some of the recipes. That we you can make an informed decision regarding the ingredients. Also, a lot of her recipes are on her new tv show on the cooking channel. I have made several of her recipes and they are really good and inventive.

Lisa:happy:
  • Pearcecat
    Pearcecat Posts: 68
    Options
    Thanks for this!..I hadn't heard of this site and have just signed up for the hungry girl daily newsletter. I had a look at all the past recipes and there is so much inspiration there!. I especially like the way they do a healthy 'swap'. I went on to Amazon to see if I could get a sneak peek at the new book but it doesn't let you. Would love to hear if anyone recommends it...think I will invest in it!
  • TracieJ65
    TracieJ65 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I just got the book, in the mail, last Friday and I have to say it is the best one, in my opinion, out of all of them. The other ones use too many weird ingredients and so far this one has just been regular every day things.

I have only made it through the breakfast section, so far, because I just don't have the time to sit down and look at it cover to cover, but just about every recipe is one that I have marked to make

The ONLY problem I am having with the book is that a good portion of the recipes are a lot more in sodium than I like to consume in one meal. She is not really a person that is concerned with sodium. She spends her time on calories and fat. But, I can work around that.

Out of her other three books, that I have, I have made exactly two things. An oatmeal breakfast and a chicken dinner. This book I will use a lot. For instance, here is one I will be trying soon.

Cheeseburger Mac Attack

5 ounces uncooked elbow macaroni
    10 ounces ground turkey
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    2 tablespoons ketchup
    24 ounces frozen green giant cauliflower & cheese
    3 wedges laughing coe light creamy swiss cheese

In a large pot, prepare pasta very al dente, cooking for about half the time indicated on the package. Drain well and set aside.

In a bowl, combine the turkey, onion powder, and ketchup. Use your hands to mix well. Transfer mixture to a crock pot.

Add the frozen veggies and cooked pasta to the crock pot and gently stir. Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours until the turkey is fully cooked.

Stir the mixture and crumble the turkey. Add the cheese wedges and stir until evenly distributed. Season to taste with salt and pepper, if you like.

Calories 179 Sodium 512 which is not too bad and I would probably use Ronzoni smart taste pasta which has no sodium and a little less calories than most pasta and that would help a lot.

That recipe comes from a whole crock pot section that is in it. I would say that out of all of her books this one is worth it. I price compared and found that it was the cheapest on Amazon, although now that it is actually in the stores it may be cheaper there.
  • dmoses
    dmoses Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    she also has a show on the cooking channel:

http://www.hungry-girl.com/show
  • Pearcecat
    Pearcecat Posts: 68
    Options
    Hi TracieJ65,
    Great to hear from someone who likes the book. Can I ask you if you think that I could cook meals that would suit me, partner and my little boy?. That's one of the problems I have in life..I would love to eat salads & seafood for the rest of my life but they are total carnivores..typical men!.
    If you recommend it and think it would be a help to me, I'm going to get it on Amazon.
    I can't get the tv show here unfortunately...:cry: ...but I did get the email newsletter today and it was very interesting about the shredded chicken...yum.
  • srod23
    srod23 Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this recipe. It sounds delicious, and I definitely want to try it! I have a question for you...do you happen to know how many servings this is? I have a large family, and I am just wondering if I would need to double this or not.