Not enough time :(

Options
Hey all!, I just started trying to lose weight after fighting with myself since beginning of the year. I feel like i'm finally ready to get down to it and drop all the weight and get back in shape. I've been counting my calories and watching my diet, my problem however is finding the energy/time to workout!! I'm a full-time graduate student, with a full-time (unpaid, puhh) internship, and part-time online boutique owner.

Here is a breakdown of my schedule:

Monday through Thursday - Internship and School 8am - 9pm
Friday - Internship 8am -4pm
Sat & Sunday - Work on the business - ALL DAY (9am - 5pm)

I know I have time after my days end during the week to go to the gym, its just that I am SO EXHAUSTED from my day that I can't bring myself to go. & It's quite a shame because I'm paying $50/month for the gym! And in general, I feel exhausted as well. I have a ridiculously hard time waking up in the morning and being motivated for the day =/

Anyone have any motivational words, and/or similar experiences, or just ANYTHING to kick start some good attitude and energy raising advice?

I would really greatly appreciate it!

Cheers :) ,

Penny x

url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]5488910.png[/url]
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I have this SAME problem! I'm a full time student and I work 4 jobs! I have zero time at night to work out, however, I go to our campus wellness center and they have 545am spin classes (it sounds early, and it's really terrible at first) but it's the only time I have the motivation to go, and all the people in spin are super helpful in motivating you if you're new. I only go 3 times a week because going every day would be torture! Hope this helps you out
  • sweetsunlover
    Options
    i think the thing is you really have to make yourself go to the gym even if u feel tired. drag urself there... believe me you will come out feeling better than not going and the more u go the fitter u will get and the more energy it will give u :-)
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Start by focusing on your diet. Try to squeeze in 10 min walks throughout your workday- if you keep a decent clip they can really add up!
  • hollyc101
    Options
    I have a very busy schedule as well. I know how you feel about having time to go to work out, but you're so tired you dont want to. I have the same trouble, what i do is get home , drink a glass of water and change. I dont sit down at home, i dont talk myself out of working out for that day . If you can just take clothes with you to change into from work/school and go straight to the gym. That way you aren't stalling to go or not!
    I have been doing that as well, and its unreal how much better i feel once i get to the gym, or even going home and doing a jillian Michaels video.

I have plenty to lose, but this is a good way for me to start!

good luck!
  • sandybeach11
    sandybeach11 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat trying to figure this out... but I think there may be time before work/school. It may require getting up earlier but that may be the only solution. The rest of the day gets packed with unexpected delays etc which end up being excuses. I guess the a.m. gets rid of the excuses other than personal motivation, or lack thereof.

Sorry, I guess I'm kinda writing this down for myself appartently. Good luck to you!
  • ccrandell62
    Options
    I know it's hard to get started in the morning, but try just a 10-minute walk when you first get up, BEFORE your busy day starts. It'll give you more energy for the rest of the day. And after you adjust to just those 10 minutes, you can increase it by 5 minutes. It's only 10 minutes first thing in the morning. Give it a try and see if it helps. (take your cup of coffee with you if that helps :-} ) You don't have to jog or run, just give your muscles and mind a 10-minute head start on the day.
  • elvb
    elvb Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Start by focusing on your diet. Try to squeeze in 10 min walks throughout your workday- if you keep a decent clip they can really add up!

I agree. I lost my first 25 lbs by just focusing on my diet. I didn't work out at all. I didn't have a lot of time and I have 3 kids. But it was also because I was literally just too lazy. Once I figured out how to eat (sort of) I forced myself to start exercising.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

I have the same problem with a full time job and going to school part time. I have been using my breaks at work to take a 10-12 minute walk. Even at only 45 calories or so each, they are adding up. I have also pledged to always take the stairs and one of my classes is on the 8th floor! I have had to give up and take the elevator the last one or two floors a few times, but I look forward to the day when I can climb all of the way to the top without being out of breath. LOL

My point is look around and add exercise where you can. Park at the back of the lot, take the stairs, take short walks, etc. It all adds up!
  • Pennylanexx
    Options
    Yeaa, I have to try this! I will start packing my gym clothes with me and just go straight after class to the gym. Great advice x
  • Pennylanexx
    Options

I have the same problem with a full time job and going to school part time. I have been using my breaks at work to take a 10-12 minute walk. Even at only 45 calories or so each, they are adding up. I have also pledged to always take the stairs and one of my classes is on the 8th floor! I have had to give up and take the elevator the last one or two floors a few times, but I look forward to the day when I can climb all of the way to the top without being out of breath. LOL

My point is look around and add exercise where you can. Park at the back of the lot, take the stairs, take short walks, etc. It all adds up!

Yup!, you're right. The thing is I feel so inadequate when I only have time for a 20-30 minute workout. I have to step out of that mentality because 20 minutes is better than nothing! Thanks :)
  • RedsoxFan88
    RedsoxFan88 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My schedule is similar working 7:30 am until 8:30 pm during the week. I also work part time on the weekend and am a single mom. I too am exhausted after work! My solution is to go to the gym in the morning at 5:30 before my busy day gets in the way. Yes, it is a killer getting up at the crack of dawn, but I always feel great after my workout! It is worth my monthly $32! It also helps me to stay on track as I don't want to 'ruin' a good workout by eating junk!

Best of luck!
  • snowflakelaia
    Options
    I get up at 4:30AM to work out at Home. Sometimes I'm too tired to work out in the afternoon. If you do it before going to school, you won't have to worry about it during the day.

Besides, the days I work out in the morning, I feel that I burn more calories during the day, I feel more active too...
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Work out in the morning. You may be tired at first but once it becomes routine you will feel great, you will have more energy and best of all your workout will be done and if you eat your exercize calories you will know first thing in the am how many extra you have for the day.
  • Pennylanexx
    Options
    Work out in the morning. You may be tired at first but once it becomes routine you will feel great, you will have more energy and best of all your workout will be done and if you eat your exercize calories you will know first thing in the am how many extra you have for the day.

So.true.