6 Reason's to Run A 5K

Options
edorice
edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
By Jeff Galloway
Runner's World

5K's are one of the most popular races out there, and here are six reasons why:

1. Ease. Most of you are busy, and training time is precious. Therefore, it's really tough to find the time to train for a half-marathon or marathon. Not so with the 5K. You can work up to it quickly (from scratch) and train for it adequately on just three days a week.

2. Convenience. With a 5K, race day is a snap. You arrive at the race, warm up for 10 to 20 minutes, race for 40 minutes maximum, cool down, replenish with food and drink, and head home in your new race T-shirt before your family has finished breakfast.

3. Exhilaration. In a 5K, you feel like you're really racing. And that's a good feeling. Not many runners can maintain a 10K race pace that is much faster than their daily training pace. With a 5K, however, you can motor as much as one minute per mile faster than your usual training pace.

4. Improvement. Racing the occasional 5K is an excellent fitness booster. It will elevate your max VO2, improve form and efficiency, and make your regular training runs feel easier.

5. Change. Too often in our training, we run the same course at the same pace at the same time of day. Don't get me wrong. Routine is good—essential, in fact, if you want to stay with a long-term running program. But too much of a good thing is too much of a good thing. You need variation, and a short-and-sweet 5K every once in awhile is a great way to mix things up.

6. Motivation. Races are great motivators. Each year, scores of runners tell me that having a regular schedule of 5K races gets them out the door on days when they would have stayed in bed in the morning or hit the couch after work.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/6_Reasons_to_Run_a_5K.htm

Replies

• Andi_Mo
    Andi_Mo Posts: 243
    Options
    AWESOME! And after running one on Saturday, I completely agree :)
  • HappyathomeMN
    HappyathomeMN Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    LOVE Galloway!!!!

Thanks for posting! His book has helped me tremenously!
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Since I have just started running on the treadmill..I am working my way up to a 5K. At the end of April however I will be walking (at a fast pace!) a 2K walk for child abuse awareness month...going to try to improve on my times...work towards a 17-18 minute mile. Thanks for the great tips!
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I also ran my first on Saturday...totally agree and cant wait for next months! I never EVER imagined myself running in a 5k but now Im HOOKED!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    7. It's fun.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    8. They are like crack! Once you do your first you keep going back for more!

I enjoy doing 5Ks now as a break between my 10Ks.
  • Enchantica
    Enchantica Posts: 117
    Options
    bump (for reading later) :)
  • kRpRpLgRl
    kRpRpLgRl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have walked a 5K but my goal now is to run it.

Thanks for sharing!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    8. They are like crack! Once you do your first you keep going back for more!

I enjoy doing 5Ks now as a break between my 10Ks.

Totally agree with this. Once you start you want to keep doing them. I have done 4 so far all in different states. NC, SC, GA, FL
  • transformwithtonya
    transformwithtonya Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks. I'm going to see when there is one I can sign up for now.
  • dandydalek
    dandydalek Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I have my first 5K on Saturday and I've really let myself get worried about it. But reading this reassures me that I wouldn't be just as well off running one on my own (with no one watching me possibly crash and burn) at the park one afternoon. I need to be brave and have the experience.

Thanks!
  • RHOyalT
    RHOyalT Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I will be power walking my first 5K on Saturday for National Crime Victim Awareness Week. I plan to eventually be able to run one with ease.
  • edorice
    Options
    Good luck on your races this Saturday.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Just remember if your time isn't great there are other people who aren't even out there. If you have to stop and catch your breath, at least you aren't one of those people still in their bed. If you come in last at least you still came in, some people aren't brave enough to deliver that much. Even if you are the slowest or most out of shape out there (usually only in your own mind) you are motivation to others!

I have come up with a mantra when I run "Funnerist, Fasterist, Strongerist" and I just repeat that. It works because it tells me what I want to be doing, but it also makes me laugh because its just so wrong! Runners World suggest coming up with a mantra that will help you get over hurdles. Pick something that is meaning full to you.
  • findingfinally
    Options
    Awesome post!!! I want to start running again and eventually do a 5k :-)
  • JigglyPig
    JigglyPig Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    This is a great post! Thank you for sharing!
  • edorice
    Options
    bump
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    reason number 9 - many 5k's have a 'cause' you get to support. i try to run the ones that support prostate cancer and do fundraising for them. :)

great article and great comments.