Ok maybe it's because I'm new or posted in the wrong forum!

Options
Dmprbst
Dmprbst Posts: 45 Member
I wrote this earlier in (discussion) but no response?
I have a torn meniscus (Sp) in my right knee that developed a cyst, anyway I used to run in my early twenties some 10yrs ago but after this happened It would hurt my knee to run on the treadmill for too long.
So yesterday I felt really good I've been going to the Gym five days a week and really trying to build up my endurance on the tread-stepper to get my lungs back nice and healthy.
Well I started running and felt good ran just under 30 Min's walked the first five or so and came out to 2 miles. Anyway that was the first time in so long that I ran that long. As soon as I shut the treadmill down and stopped I instantly felt like I was going to faint I had to sit down on the tread mill and wait a sec. I want to run today, but I'm scared I'm going to fall on my bum after I'm all done, can anyone tell me how I can avoid passing out today if I do decide to go for a jog?

Replies

• Dmprbst
    Options
    I wrote this earlier in (discussion) but no response?
    I have a torn meniscus (Sp) in my right knee that developed a cyst, anyway I used to run in my early twenties some 10yrs ago but after this happened It would hurt my knee to run on the treadmill for too long.
    So yesterday I felt really good I've been going to the Gym five days a week and really trying to build up my endurance on the tread-stepper to get my lungs back nice and healthy.
    Well I started running and felt good ran just under 30 Min's walked the first five or so and came out to 2 miles. Anyway that was the first time in so long that I ran that long. As soon as I shut the treadmill down and stopped I instantly felt like I was going to faint I had to sit down on the tread mill and wait a sec. I want to run today, but I'm scared I'm going to fall on my bum after I'm all done, can anyone tell me how I can avoid passing out today if I do decide to go for a jog?
  • vickyt
    vickyt Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Once you're done exercizing, dont just sit down even if you feel you're going to faint, you should just walk it off for a few minutes and it should go away, at least in my experience. I'm not sure if it works for everyone, maybe someone else has better advice haha:laugh: Good luck on your run!:flowerforyou:
  • Chai
    Chai Posts: 22
    Options
    I've done that before, you should be careful but I agree with the above poster, walk it off. Walk to the other end of the gym if you have to!!
    Good luck!!
  • our5cooks
    our5cooks Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That's what I do is walk it off!

76013.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    you should always cool down after you run, take five minutes and slowly reduce the speed, if you have trouble breathing, raise your arms up over your head and grab your elbows, it helps the lungs.
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    The human body is an INTERESTING thing.
    It keeps it's balance through water, food, and oxagen.
    Too much or too little and you lose balance.
    Prime example of this is a long car ride. I mean over 3 hours. When you stop you could SWEAR you feel like you where still riding down the road.
    I call this the swimmies... I have no idea what Science calls it but I bet I could not SPELL IT OR PRONOUNCE IT.:blushing: :wink: :laugh:
    Anyway. I venture a guess that you where feeling grand and pushed just a little too hard and your body getting too much exerstion said.
    "HEY LADY!!!!!!! CUT THAT OUT!!!!!" Hence the dizzy feeling.
    I do not know if you are a watcher of Biggest loser like the rest of us are... But if you remember when most all of them started and they where pushed by the trainers more often then not they where in the corner yacking up their socks. I saw Pink Lady fall off the treadmill once because she got.. DIZZY. Start to sound a little familiar?
    With out being a Dr. I would still place my bet that you over exerted yourself and your body told you it did not like that.
    --Diann...
  • rheston
    rheston Posts: 638
    Options
    Without more specifics it's really hard for any of us to say what specifically is causing your faint feelings but since this is the first time in a long time for you to get back into the running/jogging routine maybe lowering the intensity of your workout would help. As you already know you should be able to have a normal conversation while working out but you shouldn't feel like fainting -- even if you stop your routine quickly.

Drinking plenty of water before, while, and after you work out is also important. Take a small sip every 5 or 10 minutes while working out, and then drink some more afterward. Dehydration is the most common cause of lightheartedness that I've watched people go through.

If you are not used to sweating, add a pinch of salt and some fruit juice to your water (a splash will suffice). This will restore your electrolyte balance. You can also try Gatorade, but it has way too much sugar. Also, don't eat heavy food before working out. Eat something small with some complex and some simple carbs like a slice of toast and a small piece of fruit. If you are avoiding most processed carbs, eat a piece of fruit.

If you want to avoid all kinds of carbs, eat something with protein about 2 hours before you work out. Protein and fat take longer to digest. If you work out right after eating a meal that's protein heavy you can feel sick because a lot of your blood is used to aid the muscles of the digestive system.
    Have a small snack on hand in case you feel really bad after your workout.

If you really start fainting and start feeling dizzy,sit down, drink some water. and have something tiny with simple sugar that will hit your blood stream fast. 20 calories worth of sugar won't really destroy your diet.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I just started reading up and was surprised you should drink water BEFORE you exercise, as well as during. I now drink at least 8 oz, even if i am not thirsty, just before i begin my work out.

The first time I did this I felt a change. More endurance and behold: I didnt faint! :laugh: :laugh:
  • Dmprbst
    Options
    AAAH I LOOOVE YOU GUYS, I just got back from the Gym...MUCH better today. I did Five minutes on (running) and five minutes off, (walking at a moderate pace). I felt so much better, and also I think I was a little dehydrated. After reading all these I'm not drinking near as much water as I should be during the day, or during my run.
    I run a daycare and half the time I forget to get in all my water let alone eat something so seriously thanks for the advice. Much appreciated~:wink:
  • hoolihan
    hoolihan Posts: 27
    Options
    I agree; dehydrated or you may have low glucose stores. If the water doesn't help try adding a small carbo snack 30 min before cardio.

I would try a stationary bike/recumbent bike to build back up your cardio endurance and also build back up your leg strength. Maybe swimming too if you have been off running for so long and had a knee injury at one time.

Good luck and hope you don't get light headed! Stinks to have to re-train when you were good to go at one time. Thank God for muscle memory.

Here's to your first 30 minute run, and may it be soon!:drinker:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I think some people (like me) won't respond because I have nothing useful to share. :frown:

Ummm...
    Jog with your head between your legs so the blood
    stays flowing so you don't pass out. <~~~ See??? I'm useless.

Feel better soon!
  • Dmprbst
    Options
    I think some people (like me) won't respond because I have nothing useful to share. :frown:

Ummm...
    Jog with your head between your legs so the blood
    stays flowing so you don't pass out. <~~~ See??? I'm useless.

Feel better soon!
    haha At least you tried. Usually my husband answers all my questions but he was gone and couldn't ask him. Also I was getting a little worried. I hate to faint and surely didn't want to do it at the Gym..