Cravings strongest AFTER eating

Options
I find that when I eat a moderately large (or even normal size) meal I get the biggest cravings for sugar. As a student, I am a 10 second indoor walk away from Tim Hortons for 6 hours a day and cookies and donuts taunt me daily. Does anyone else have this or have any theories on why this might be or how to overcome it?

Replies

• pilotgirl2007
    pilotgirl2007 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I always crave something sweet after meals. No idea why this is but I have heard that if you let yourself have a little something that the sugar signals the brain that you are done eating... but I read that in a magazine. I would love to hear any of the theories on why sugar cravings are strong after eating.

I sometimes keep mini chocolates around (ie mini york peppermints)
  • adriayellow11
    Options
    I have the same symtoms of whatever disease you have ;p
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Could be what you are eating. Eating sugar, or other simple carbs, can cause you to have even more cravings for it.

Suggestion: If you aren't all ready doing so, try switching to more smaller meals for the day. Breakfast - AM Snack - Lunch - PM Snack - Dinner. Try to take in more fiber and protein, while limiting sugar as much as possible. Natural sugars from fruit is okay, and fruit high in fiber will help to balance out those sugars even more. The protein will help to keep you satiated longer.

And, it goes without saying...drink lots of water.
  • hellenyork
    Options
    I know it sounds silly, but there is a McDonald's right down the street from my office and I would always get breakfast from there, usually a sausage biscuit and hash brown, and I ALWAYS wanted sugar in some form after I ate it. I don't know what it is or why but I just did. Now that I am eating breakfast at home or having a fiber bar, I never have that feeling!
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I can go for ages between meals and feel ok but the minute I have a meal I get the munchies. I think I may be eating too fast so my brain doesnt get chance to register it.

What a nightmare working near a doughnut shop
  • rakmccallum
    Options
    Sounds silly, but I grew up in a household where you had dessert after dinner. EVERY DAY! Dessert was just part of your meal. I wonder if our brains are just triggered to want that sweet after dinner???
  • ramseyrose
    ramseyrose Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Sounds silly, but I grew up in a household where you had dessert after dinner. EVERY DAY! Dessert was just part of your meal. I wonder if our brains are just triggered to want that sweet after dinner???

We always did too and now my kids are the same. My grandma always had to have bread and jam (jelly) after kippers so perhaps its a reaction to salt intake?
  • Lasa797
    Lasa797 Posts: 13
    Options
    Salty food or hot and spicy food get me craving something sweet. I used to reach for a bowl of ice cream to satisfy the craving. I have found that a bowl of fruit works just as well.