Under calorie goal everyday

2»

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    My goals have been showing every day that I still need to eat about 600-700 more.
    My goal mpf goal is 1400. My personal goal is 1200.
    I think the biggest factor is eating back workout calories.
    Will this put my body into starvation mode?
    What should I assume is going to be the safest calorie count for me?

Try to eat your "GOAL" calories as NET. This means 1400 PLUS your exercise calories. You can make a range, say between 1200 and 1400 (PLUS exercise). As you lose, MFP will lower that 1400, to keep you losing at the same rate. When it gets down to 1200 or 1250, this should signal to you that your body needs you to lose more slowly (ie less than a lb per week). At this point you should look up your BMR and aim to eat roughly this many calories (Still plus your exercise calories) every day.

Does that make sense?

Edit to add: there is an equation on your home page-- GOAL FOOD - EXERCISE = NET Try to make NET match GOAL
  • atthebeach08
    atthebeach08 Posts: 63 Member
    It doesn't make sense to me. My calorie goal set by MFP is 1250.If I eat exactly that each day I don't lose any weight.If I cut back and eat 1200,I still don't lose any weight. So I go exercise which I'd love to do every other day but have 2 bad knees. I can add 300 extra calories from exercising. If I eat them or if I don't I still do not lose weight.I'm just maintaining and have been for 2 months.Any idea's out there on what the problem is?
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    It doesn't make sense to me. My calorie goal set by MFP is 1250.If I eat exactly that each day I don't lose any weight.If I cut back and eat 1200,I still don't lose any weight. So I go exercise which I'd love to do every other day but have 2 bad knees. I can add 300 extra calories from exercising. If I eat them or if I don't I still do not lose weight.I'm just maintaining and have been for 2 months.Any idea's out there on what the problem is?

You may have your goals/settings incorrect. Try reading the first two threads I posted previously that discuss guidelines for healthy, realistic goals/deficits, and then go back and check your goals/settings.

Also, since you have very little to lose, you have less wiggle room, both in calories (ie not too little and not too much) and quality of food. Also, if you aren't including strength training, you should, as what you're largely trying to do is improve muscle mass and strength. :flowerforyou:

Edit: Forgot to include the post I was replying to. :tongue:
  • atthebeach08
    atthebeach08 Posts: 63 Member
    Thank you-I never took into consideration that the last 15 pounds might be tough. I do have to include some strength training.It always makes me gain because muscle weights more and this is where I start to get diappointed and discouraged.
  • scottbob
    scottbob Posts: 7
    i notice that everyone is telling you to eat your cals back but you must remember that youdont have to just eat you can also DRINK them back try using whole milk with your protein shake if you have them or drink a bottled milkshake as the cals are higher but becareful as they might raise other factors aswell it is an juggling act but if you tkae care and remember fluids also hold cals you should be able to sort that problem i sometimes do it if i go below as i like to try to keep between 1200 and 1400 even though mpf is teling me that i should be looking at 1810 a day
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Thank you-I never took into consideration that the last 15 pounds might be tough. I do have to include some strength training.It always makes me gain because muscle weights more and this is where I start to get diappointed and discouraged.

I know that the idea of higher weight due to muscle is discouraging, but try not to think of it like that. Think of it instead as a bonus - the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism will be. Therefore, the more cals you will burn all day, every day - not just when you're working out. That makes it easier to maintain your weight. :bigsmile:
  • TAWoody
    TAWoody Posts: 261 Member
    All I have ever heard from every doctor and nutritionist is for adults to never eat less than 1200 calories a day. Some days I am lower than that and I force myself to eat something healthy to get to at least 1200.
This discussion has been closed.