Burning sodium?

Options
This might be a stupid question but we do burn sodium when we sweat right? So if you eat something a little high in sodium and you work out does the sweat help get it out of the body? I know when we pee it does so I figured the same would be true for sweat. Just wondering.

Replies

• NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Well, you don't "burn" sodium, it gets flushed from your body. Sweating and drinking more water can help flush out excess sodium, but you may still retain excess water as a result of eating higher amounts of sodium. I know that for me, it doesn't matter how much water I drink, if I get too much sodium I'll gain a few pounds of water weight and sometimes it's very hard to lose.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Idk but im always over on sodium, so good question. would make me feel better to know its OK
  • freakoutadams
    Options
    Great question! I'm also over a lot on my sodium. More challenging than watching calories. Would love to know more info...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Great question! I'm also over a lot on my sodium. More challenging than watching calories. Would love to know more info...

It's easy to stay under the sodium limit if you don't eat processed foods.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You will flush the sodium out of your body via drinking additional water and sweating but it's not instantaneous which means the sodium has time to spike your blood pressure and wreak havoc on your body processing it out. It's not the same as burning calories by any means.
  • corpus_validum
    corpus_validum Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    It's easy to stay under the sodium limit if you don't eat processed foods.

True, but it's a lot harder avoiding sodium when eating lunch/dinner out with co-workers/friends. But it's a fair trade-off:smile:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I never get anywhere near my sodium limit, even though I add salt to a lot of food. Not eating bread or anything processed makes a huge difference.
    Sweating uses a lot of salt. I get cramps if I try to cut down on sodium when we are in Italy from the lack of it.
  • itsjustme77
    itsjustme77 Posts: 102
    Options
    I am having this problem lately as well. I admit I have even more packaged food lately, but when I did not have enough sodium, I would black out. I don't know.