Need a nutrition challenge!!!!

Options
alf1163
alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
I have seen many fitness challenges in this site. I have joined some of them. That is great, everyone needs a fitness push here and there. But my challenge is to eat well and stick with it. I give in too easily. I am an emotional eater, happy or sad. I am also a social eater. I also eat out of boredom. I love sweets and starches. Lately, I have fallen off the wagon. A new month starts on Friday. Is there anyone up there for a nutrition challenge that is only 31 days long? I do better if a challenge is not too long. Yes, yes, I know this should be a lifetime change and not a temporary one but I really feel at this moment that I need a short term challenge to get motivated again. So here is my plan:

I am weighing myself on Friday and posting it. Then once a week after that.
I am cutting out alcohol and processed foods for the month of August.
I am limiting myself to low carb, low starch foods, more fruits and veggies.
I am eating lean meats and more chicken and fish than usual.
I am eating healthy fats.
I will eat 5-6 small meals a day.
I am going to continue to drink lots of water. I normally drink 15-20cups a day.
I am not going to eat after 8pm unless I am way below my caloric intake (more than 200 cals).

Working out is no problem for me. I love it!! I will continue to do cardio 5-6 times a week, 30-45mins per session and strength trng 2-3 days a week.

Suggestions will be appreciated. Anyone with me???? :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• alf1163
    Options
    I have seen many fitness challenges in this site. I have joined some of them. That is great, everyone needs a fitness push here and there. But my challenge is to eat well and stick with it. I give in too easily. I am an emotional eater, happy or sad. I am also a social eater. I also eat out of boredom. I love sweets and starches. Lately, I have fallen off the wagon. A new month starts on Friday. Is there anyone up there for a nutrition challenge that is only 31 days long? I do better if a challenge is not too long. Yes, yes, I know this should be a lifetime change and not a temporary one but I really feel at this moment that I need a short term challenge to get motivated again. So here is my plan:

I am going to continue to drink lots of water. I normally drink 15-20cups a day.
    I am not going to eat after 8pm unless I am way below my caloric intake (more than 200 cals).

Working out is no problem for me. I love it!! I will continue to do cardio 5-6 times a week, 30-45mins per session and strength trng 2-3 days a week.

Suggestions will be appreciated. Anyone with me???? :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Fab140
    Fab140 Posts: 1,976 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the challenge I need. I have been on many, as well, and with no stick to it. The alcohol is a great idea!!

I'm also doing the Nivea Challenge on Nivea.com. (My dimples are growing dimples!!!)

Guess I better enjoy my little indulgences until thursday!!! :wink: Then the month of August will be a dry one! hehe.....

OK Alf, I will see you Friday then?
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    I never thought it was arduous drinking 8 cups of water until I came upon this site. I'm barely hitting 8 even though it's such a substantial source to losing weight! Thank you for reminding me just how important water is to our bodies.
  • chubbygirl30
    Options
    I'm in....i need to work on my eating a bit. Working out is taken care of...but my eating is still pretty shaky....I'm an emotional eater too....regardless of the mood i shove food in my face. so I'm in.....
  • Fab140
    Options
    I'm in....i need to work on my eating a bit. Working out is taken care of...but my eating is still pretty shaky....I'm an emotional eater too....regardless of the mood i shove food in my face. so I'm in.....

Yes ma'am! It seems no matter if I'm happy, sleepy, sad, angry.....food it is!
  • chubbygirl30
    Options
    Yup that's me...and being BORED is the worst!!!
  • Fab140
    Options
    yes! which is why I dread the evenings my hubby has to work late. It ought to be ok, though, if I'm going all month (to the very best of my ablity) with no processed foods and alcohol.
  • chubbygirl30
    Options
    it should be interesting....lol....the no alcohol thing i can do no problem....the rest could be a bit of a challange for me...I live with just my cat so when we get bored we eat. lol.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Megan and Chubbygirl, I am so excited you want to join me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Once again, today was not a good day...I can't wait for Friday!!! Don't give up on me ok??? And guess what!!! My husband wants to join me in my challenge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is not a fitness pal member but I might sign him up soon. I am just so happy he wants to do it with me for himself and also to support me!!!! I really hate to say this but when he does not support me 100% he really sabotages my efforts....yeah, I am also to blame but being a social eater and emotional eater (happy or sad) I give in easily when he offers me food or a drink!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Oh, what should we call our challenge??????? This way it is easier to find...
  • Fab140
    Options
    I so know what you mean!! My husband is a hard one to diet around. He supports me, but he also doesn't slap my wrist when I start falling off the wagon.

Let's keep it simple? How about August Alliance '08?
  • Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options

This is a plan for success! If you're diligent and consistent you'll certainly reap the rewards of your efforts. Make certain you eat enough to support your workout schedule and I may suggest that you don't fear food after 8pm. Simply eat a protein + fat--no carbs (including fruit). By doing so you'll keep your body anabolic through the night and you'll noticed improved recovery, acquisition of lean mass, and fat reduction from proper nutrition and training.

good luck!
  • chubbygirl30
    Options
    i'm ready for Friday....but it also means i have to go grocery shopping....uggghhhh. i HATE grocery shopping.
  • alf1163
    Options

This is a plan for success! If you're diligent and consistent you'll certainly reap the rewards of your efforts. Make certain you eat enough to support your workout schedule and I may suggest that you don't fear food after 8pm. Simply eat a protein + fat--no carbs (including fruit). By doing so you'll keep your body anabolic through the night and you'll noticed improved recovery, acquisition of lean mass, and fat reduction from proper nutrition and training.

good luck!

Thanks Thrust!! I am looking forward to starting. I have to go grocery shopping myself Chubbygirl!!! What do you suggest to eat after 8pm if needed? It is so hard for me to come up with good protein+fat food choices. Carbs are so readily available that I tend to go for it first...

Ok, first thing Friday morning I will post my weight and perhaps my waist measurement. I will also post my goals for that day. Then I will report every evening how the day went to include workouts, nutrition, struggles, etc. I am going to weigh in every Friday morning. Weekends are bad for me but with this challenge, your support and my husband's support I really think this is all I need to reach my weight goal. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Thrust
    Thrust Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What do you suggest to eat after 8pm if needed? It is so hard for me to come up with good protein+fat food choices. Carbs are so readily available that I tend to go for it first...

You're choices are pretty broad, however, they may not "sound" like appetizing pre-bed selections. An extremely popular concoction (and one my wife and I both use with success) is the combination of cottage cheese and natural peanut butter. Cottage cheese packs in around 24g of complete protein with less than 150 calories. It's a casein protein so it digests slowly. Adding natural peanut butter further slows the rate of digestion. This will keep your body nourished during the night so you can awake without having the dreaded hunger pangs. Further, since there's relatively few carbs, you don't have to be concerned with spiking insulin levels which would trigger your body to store fat.

Other suggestions are a couple whole eggs. Eggs are very nutrient rich and have the most bio-availability of any protein (save breastmilk...yuk...haha). The fat from the yolk will provide nourishment and help to slow digestion.

You could also drink milk and eat a couple almonds. Be aware, however, that milk contains lactose and will cause an insulin spike.

Of course, you could also eat any variety of meat or have a protein shake and flax oil/seeds. On occasion I'll have some turkey or lean beef before turning-in.

Basically, skip any fruit, bread, pasta, cereal, crakers, etc. Your priority should be having a complete protein followed by fat. If you'd like to have a small salad, use olive oil as dressing and add some chicken, shrimp, etc.

Anyway, I hope you find these suggestions beneficial and remember slow and steady wins the race!! :happy:
  • Fab140
    Options
    sounds like a plan, ma'am!

I, too, will weigh in, add my measurements, and compare days. I'll keep my eyes peeled for your Friday morning post!

As for the quick choices low in carbs, I'm big on pistachios and lean lunchmeats. I get tired of cheese sticks real quick!! Just watch your portions!!

:flowerforyou: