fat jokes about Kirstie Alley on Dancing with the Stars

Options
2»

Replies

• 3ur3ka
    3ur3ka Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Is it mean? Yes. Would he say that to her face? Probably not.

But...She has the means to lose weight. Yes, it's hard for everyone, but being a celebrity with plenty of money means that she has access to certain resources that the rest of us don't. She can hire a top trainer, chef, etc. and she can lose the weight. She even came out with her own line of organic weight loss products, she should probably be better spokesperson for them! If she put in the time and effort she could lose the weight and keep it off, just like the rest of us. If you're public about your struggle with your weight and you fail time after time you should expect that there will be rude people who will make fun. It sucks, but honestly, it's just another part of being a celebrity.

Precisely what I was thinking.
  • Setof2Keys
    Setof2Keys Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    george lopez is not that thin himself...he has his nerve. I think it is more difficult for her to move around, but we are all experiencing that. I think it is great that she is not just sitting there letting it get the best of her. At least she is trying. No one (especially on MFP) knows her struggles more than we do.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I love Kirstie and Maks both! And she's doing fantastic! I agree she is beautiful, I love that she is so transparent! Lopez, you wouldn't expect anything but that from him, as far as comments regarding the fall, it's just rediculous. Thats why I stay away from the boards and what not, people just say the dumbest things sometimes. It's dancing, people get hurt, people fall down. Maks was obviously in a lot of pain, and felt horrible about it.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I've never appreciated fat jokes, but I think people should be free to laugh at themselves. We should all take ourselves a bit more lightly, and that means not getting offended so easily.

As a fat person who's been the recipient of many a fat joke, I realize my condition doesn't define me. Rather, it is one small part of me. And what others see as a weakness has allowed me to become a stronger person. I struggle, while they go along their merry way. I STRUGGLE to lose a quarter of a pound. I struggle to be normal.

But that struggle has taught me a thousand life lessons that the person laughing will never, ever learn.

So the fat jokes can be funny, in a light, silly way. I admit, I laugh at myself sometimes when I see how silly I look doing squats. It's like Humpty Dumpty trying to get in shape.

schlubba, I agree with you to an extent, but you're also taking it too far. Kindness is a virtue. The ability to empathize and be heartbroken for others is also a virtue, not a weakness. At the same time, taking ourselves lightly is a virtue. The ability to laugh at ourselves is a virtue. The essence of the problem is a lack of virtue on both ends, from the mortally offended to the incessant offenders. Both are in the wrong.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I really like Kirstie Alley too...I'm not in the UK so we don't have the coverage but for anyone to say something like that to gain points is awful!

It's the same in Britain, we have one judge on "Dancing on Ice" who really has overstepped the mark several times in the last competition...he wound people up so much that a husband of one contestants got up and went to speak to him to which he made a comment about the husbands stinking breath...it was really uncomfortable viewing.

There is a fine line between comedy and insult!

:ohwell:
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I liked her response to his "piggy joke" that she wanted his kidney not an apology. LOL I think that's just the "norm" remember how nasty the media was towards Bristol Palin last season - there were jokes about her being the one who gained instead of lost, etc...? Really tasteless stuff....

I don't watch DWTS regularly, but I do hope Kirsti Alley wins. ;)
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options

But...She has the means to lose weight. Yes, it's hard for everyone, but being a celebrity with plenty of money means that she has access to certain resources that the rest of us don't. She can hire a top trainer, chef, etc. and she can lose the weight. She even came out with her own line of organic weight loss products, she should probably be better spokesperson for them! If she put in the time and effort she could lose the weight and keep it off, just like the rest of us. If you're public about your struggle with your weight and you fail time after time you should expect that there will be rude people who will make fun. It sucks, but honestly, it's just another part of being a celebrity.

She may have the means and money. You can have all the money in the world but that doesn't give you the drive or emotional support you need. I only caught a bit of her dancing and she was being pretty upfront about her weight and said she was never really happy even when she was skinny. She can't find out where she is happy and IMO that must be a hard road to travel.

I really like her and thought she rocked the bathing suit on Oprah. Maybe she uses her weight/jokes as humour as a denfece mechanism but we don't know her inner workings so no right to judge.
  • tiaydew
    tiaydew Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am chubby...asian and hispanic. I gots jokes galore!

and I'm short too! *sighs* I do love Kirstie Alley though and hope she goes far on DWTS! When I saw the fall, I just knew everyone was going to make fat jokes about it. George Lopez is funny and he is the first to make fun of himself for his looks.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I use to feel the same way, especially regarding them having money enough to have their own personal gym and trainer right in their house. I never had an attitude about it, but just thought they were lucky, and if I had it things would be easier. But as I have learned, it doesn't have to cost money to move and to eat healthier, and losing is a lot more about our emotional health, and having support, and motivation.

She may have the means and money. You can have all the money in the world but that doesn't give you the drive or emotional support you need. I only caught a bit of her dancing and she was being pretty upfront about her weight and said she was never really happy even when she was skinny. She can't find out where she is happy and IMO that must be a hard road to travel.

I really like her and thought she rocked the bathing suit on Oprah. Maybe she uses her weight/jokes as humour as a denfece mechanism but we don't know her inner workings so no right to judge.
  • Newmammaluv
    Newmammaluv Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I had to go and google the coverage of their dance and the fall was right in the beginning and if you watch his feet you will actually see that he twists his toe the wrong direction causing the weight shift to make him lose his balance... at first yes it looks like he buckles under his weight but instead of watching their faces watch his feet.

Oh and of course TV has it's tasteless moments... Jersey Shore?!?! Bad Girls Club?? Come on... not exactly a classy record as far as primetime TV goes.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    it does not bother me at all,nor would it bother me if someone says those things about me.
    most people are not like me in that sense i get that.
    she did star in a show called fat actress so wasnt she teasing herself?
  • sportsman19
    Options
    I think we all need to lighten with this PC nonsense. Comics like George Lopez have been doing what you guys perceive as crass/insulting for years. It's the nature of the business. Everyone is just dying to be offended and jumps at the opportunity of defending someone else when they take umbrage. There's a great documentary with Joan Rivers out where she's doing her standup and makes a deaf joke by bringing up Helen Keller.
    A man in the audience takes offense and states he has a deaf son. She tore into him by saying, "Oh, please. You are so stupid. Comedy is to make everybody laugh at EVERYTHING and deal with things, you idiot. My mother is deaf, you stupid son of a b****. Don’t tell me! And just in case you can hear me in the hallway [as the man presumably leaves the performance], I lived for nine years with a man with one leg. Okay, you ahole? I was going to talk about what it’s like to have a man with one leg, who lost it in World War II and never went back to get it because that’s f****** littering.”
    At first, my wife and I were shocked with her, however, she makes a point. Why should some people be excluded from comedy?
    It's ok to laugh at a joke about the random dumb person who cuts you off on the freeway, but anyone with an affliction is off limits. If people want to choose pity, do so. I think inclusion is the best form of respect and in a healthy, self confident society, blue humor can be accepted. We deal with enough stress in our workweeks. Fostering new stress over JOKES is beyond inane.
    Kirstie Alley is huge and has struggled with her weight. She's also used that to help profit. Good for her. I love fat jokes. I love all humor. We all should give it a try and refrain from policing what we don't find funny.
  • Marla64
    Marla64 Posts: 23,120 Member
    Options
    I think we all need to lighten with this PC nonsense. Comics like George Lopez have been doing what you guys perceive as crass/insulting for years. It's the nature of the business. Everyone is just dying to be offended and jumps at the opportunity of defending someone else when they take umbrage. There's a great documentary with Joan Rivers out where she's doing her standup and makes a deaf joke by bringing up Helen Keller.
    A man in the audience takes offense and states he has a deaf son. She tore into him by saying, "Oh, please. You are so stupid. Comedy is to make everybody laugh at EVERYTHING and deal with things, you idiot. My mother is deaf, you stupid son of a b****. Don’t tell me! And just in case you can hear me in the hallway [as the man presumably leaves the performance], I lived for nine years with a man with one leg. Okay, you ahole? I was going to talk about what it’s like to have a man with one leg, who lost it in World War II and never went back to get it because that’s f****** littering.”
    At first, my wife and I were shocked with her, however, she makes a point. Why should some people be excluded from comedy?
    It's ok to laugh at a joke about the random dumb person who cuts you off on the freeway, but anyone with an affliction is off limits. If people want to choose pity, do so. I think inclusion is the best form of respect and in a healthy, self confident society, blue humor can be accepted. We deal with enough stress in our workweeks. Fostering new stress over JOKES is beyond inane.
    Kirstie Alley is huge and has struggled with her weight. She's also used that to help profit. Good for her. I love fat jokes. I love all humor. We all should give it a try and refrain from policing what we don't find funny.

Wowwww-- excellent, excellent post-- stopped me right in my tracks.

You're right. And truth be told, it's the way I view comedy usually-- we're all fair game. Laugh and the world laughs with us, blah, blah, blah-- what bothered me was singling her out, I guess. But, I guess that's just because it's her weight, and it's a touchy subject with me. I have no similar problem with all the Charlie Sheen jokes.

So-- really good, thoughtful post-- bravo!!!!
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options
    So because it is labelled 'comedy' it is ok to make fun of someone with a disability? If comedy is to make everyone laugh are the disabled really enjoying jokes at their expense?

Just curious.
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    He's just like all the other comics out there now, they think funny is putting down others. If only we could have the Johnny Carsons and Bob Hopes to entertain us again. None, and I mean none of the late night hosts we have on air now can hold Johnny's jock strap. That was entertainment. We have nothing now that even compares!!!
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options
    So because it is labelled 'comedy' it is ok to make fun of someone with a disability? If comedy is to make everyone laugh are the disabled really enjoying jokes at their expense?

Just curious.

ive known several disabled people that thought jokes about disablities where hilarious,so what can people joke about?
    I guess women is off the list or men or politics,or religion because all of that could possibly offend someone.
    I once dated a guy whos mom was in a wheelchair most of her life and she used to tell some really funny jokes about it.
    then of course there are the people in life that are way to sensitive.words only have power if we give them power and a joke is a joke
    how do you think lyndsay lohan , paris hiltion,or others feel about being the subject of many many jokes I dont here people being all up in arms about that.
  • WarmDontBurn
    Options

Just curious.

ive known several disabled people that thought jokes about disablities where hilarious,so what can people joke about?
    I guess women is off the list or men or politics,or religion because all of that could possibly offend someone.
    I once dated a guy whos mom was in a wheelchair most of her life and she used to tell some really funny jokes about it.
    then of course there are the people in life that are way to sensitive.words only have power if we give them power and a joke is a joke
    how do you think lyndsay lohan , paris hiltion,or others feel about being the subject of many many jokes I dont here people being all up in arms about that.

what would their disability be? Fame?
    Women, Men, Politics and religion are HUGE groups of people and when the make a joke say about women it is women in general...for example blonde jokes...not offensive when I was a blond because it didn't apply to me regardless of the color of my hair....religion..same thing I believe what I believe and if that is funny ok..however I have a daughter born with a disability and I just don't see the humour in something that she can not control. Maybe I am the over protective parent but I don't see how a disability is funny at all.
  • FearAnLoathing
    Options

Just curious.

what would their disability be? Fame?
    Women, Men, Politics and religion are HUGE groups of people and when the make a joke say about women it is women in general...for example blonde jokes...not offensive when I was a blond because it didn't apply to me regardless of the color of my hair....religion..same thing I believe what I believe and if that is funny ok..however I have a daughter born with a disability and I just don't see the humour in something that she can not control. Maybe I am the over protective parent but I don't see how a disability is funny at all.

because a joke is a joke when does it become ok to joke about a clebertiy but not someone with a disablity.so they should just take it and like it?where does the line get drawn?there is ALWAYS going to be someone that takes offense to something look at andrew dice clay he was only making jokes about women.I have a child with some minor issues do i care if someone makes jokes about it?no not really.They are just words and do not take away from who he is.
    but the whole point of this thread was about fat jokes against kirstie alley which isnt really about a disablity and obviously pissed off alot of people my question is who draws the line who decideds whats ok and whats not because everything will offend someone.
    and then when do we lose our free speech.if you dont like a comedian change the channle dont watch
    edited to add i can see how you wouldnt find it funny,but there are alot of things that some people find funny and others dont there is no real way to control what someone says and there shouldnt be.
    im sure your daughter is an amazing little girl and its good to be a protective parent.
  • sportsman19
    Options
    When a comic makes a joke, there is no INTENT to harm anyone.
    INTENT is often perceived by those with either no sense of humor or an issue that they are dealing with.
    In other words...it's not the comic that has the problem, it's the person who interprets the joke that often has
    a problem. Has anyone ever watched a comic roast? Friars club? Nothing is off limits. This hyper sensitive society
    where everyone is ready, willing and able to sue at the drop of a hat because their feelings got hurt is really telling of why we are so behind as a fragile nation.

Don't watch the George Lopez show. He'll still be a successful comic and Kirstie Alley will still be heavy. And those who cannot
    control their penchant for wallowing in misery over a silly monologue joke will continue to whine.
    Several years ago a VERY innocent Scientology joke was made by a columnist at USweekly and Kirstie Alley sicked her lawyers on them. Look it up. I have zero compassion for her. Not because she's a Scientologist. Because she's a pompous human being.

Lastly, my late cousin was disabled. At Holidays he would joke about everyone's everyday habits and little idiosyncrasies. We would refrain from teasing him and the one thing he always said was, "don't pity me". He wanted to be included in the ribbing and joking, not looked and stared at like he was a circus freak. There was never any malicious intent.

Too bad many jump to the wrong conclusions but it's your own choice.