New Member /Low Metabolic Rate

Options
Hi.. MFP was recommended to me from a trainer and nutritionist at my gym. I'm mainly using for food journaling, but look forward to getting and receiving support from others who share the daily struggle. Wanting to lose 70 lbs...

Having a hard time... Was told that my resting metabolic rate was very low and that if I continue to exercise like I do (4-5 hours in gym/week) and eat 1200 calories/day (without any margin for error) that I'd be lucky to lose 1 lb. per MONTH. So discouraging.

Anyone else have similar scenario? or advice on proving this wrong??

Look forward to MFP!!

Replies

• beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Did you have your metabolic rate tested? Or did someone just tell you it was low?

The reason I'm asking is because if you have 70 pounds to lose, you should be able to workout and eat more than 1200 calories per day and still lose more than 1 pound per month.
  • Sweetcheeks278
    Options
    I'm new as well and this site has been great! So far I have found some really motivational friends on here. and chin up, you may surprise yourself and loose faster than you expected. Good luck! :)
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Do you have some kind of disorder like hypothyroidism or is the low metabolic rate related to the very, very small amount of food you're eating compared to how much activity you're doing?.

Just because you'll only lose 1 lb a month doesn't mean you shouldn't try. One pound a month is 12 lbs a year. As long as you can live with what you're doing, if you can make a LIFE commitment to eating well and exercising and enjoying it for what it is, who cares how slowly the weight comes off? (Bet it comes off faster.)

It's discouraging if you're in a hurry to lose weight, if you're in a place where you hate your body so much you can't stand being overweight. But you can't hit the Start button in this frame of mind. Weight loss is too long of a journey, and you cannot see the end from here. It's a long, long, long way off. But do it for the journey itself, and enjoy your body as it is now. It may change while you're not paying attention. :)
  • ktaylorj
    ktaylorj Posts: 6
    Options
    Yes, had it tested and was told same thing by 2 nutritionists and one sports med doctor :(

Thyroid checked... all good — I'm told my metabolism is so bad due to years of dieting and eating 2 meals/day. Still recommended to eat 1200 cal/day, just spread out more (every 4 hours or so).