who says you can't have pizza?

Options
i hear folks talking ll the time (here in MFP) about how much they miss pizza.

i don't understand why anyone is going without pizza to be honest.
i have been eating it all along. i just don't order it from takeout anymore, i make my own, using pita or naan bread, and basically whatever else i have in the fridge *L*

this was lunch today (i reached Onederland this morning so celebrated by having extra sodium on my pizza, ie, two cheeses instead of one *S*):

5592908951_f193de8d06_z.jpg

It was so pretty sitting on my plate (yes that is a full size dinner plate (see fork for size reference) i had to talk a picture.
what was in it?
feel free to have a look at my food diary for today for details... but yes, there IS pepperoni in there, and black olives, feta, cheddar, yellow peppers, cherry tomatoes and fresh mushrooms.

Often it will include pineapple, fresh spinach (shredded), and even grated raw carrot!

Today's sauce was leftover roasted tomato/fennel/garlic & onion sauce i made, but usually i use a no-sodium added canned tomato sauce. Added a generous sprinkle of italian seasoning and pepper flakes. yum!

This whole pizza (yes, i ate the whole thing!) was under 500 calories, easily 'budgetable' in my calories and sodium for the day (though this was higher in sodium than usual, but the cheese was worth it today *S*)

So.. don't hold back! have pizza.. you will be SO glad you did

Replies

• CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    mmmm pizza
  • ajh2011
    ajh2011 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I really like using the flatouts for making pizza. So yummy! And you know what goes into it. Here's to having pizza all the time:smile:
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    5592908951_f193de8d06_z.jpg

and there ya go, pic posted :) hard to believe i know how to do that and you didn't :P *teasing*
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I hear ya, I will never give up pizza. Even a totino's is not that bad, calorie-wise. I don't give up anything.
  • Coyla
    Coyla Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Heck yeah! Looks great!
  • supayeena
    supayeena Posts: 16
    Options
    mmmm that looks DELICIOUS!!!!!
  • Charli666
    Charli666 Posts: 407
    Options
    i agree, i use a tortilla toasted for a base, blend my own sauce from tomatos and bell peppers and add lots of veggies, and chicken or tuna and then low fat cheese, soooo filling and soo amazing!
  • MaysMom
    MaysMom Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Wow, that looks delish! Thanks for sharing!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I also make my own pizza - I usually use a burrito sized tortilla (173 calories, no fat, 5g fiber in the ones I like) for the crust and top it heaping with low fat cheeses, tomato sauce, veggies and sometimes a little lean ground beef and/or turkey pepperoni (turkey pepperoni is AWESOME!!!! If anyone reads this and has not tried it they must- I don't even like regular pepperoni)

I can make a full sized super filling pizza for anywhere from 250-450 calories depending on what I put on it.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Oh My now that looks absolutely delicious! Umm...do you deliver! LOL
  • rblauvelt7
    rblauvelt7 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I'll be completely honest. I still order take out pizza. But on days that I do, I'll work out an extra 45 minutes and drink an extra bottle of water. I lost 8 pounds in March and have lost 1.8 pounds since April 1st, so I honestly don't feel too guilty about it. My biggest thing is trying to control my portions. I'll eat 1-2 pieces instead of eating 4 like I used to.
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    YUM! Maybe I missed it, but what did you use for your crust/dough?
  • MyNameIsNotBob
    MyNameIsNotBob Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I would never cut out pizza. In moderation, and without overdoing the greasy toppings, it can be really well-balanced and healthy. I just remember to budget for it like anything else.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with it for me is that it's white flour, which makes me puff up like I am pregnant and feel lethargic and sick all day.
  • Roukie
    Roukie Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That looks really good! I make mine on a tortilla shell, coat with olive oil bake in the oven for a few minutes until it's golden, than i put all my toppings and just broil it to melt the cheese. I get to eat the whole thing and it's just under 500 calories!
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend loves pizza but he's changing this eating habits as well, so we started making bagel pizzas using bagel thins and low fat sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. It's only like 350cals and delicious! your pizza looks good tho too!
  • HelenTheKitchen
    Options
    Not that homemade isn't far superior when it comes to being healthy, but I even go as far as to order pizza out now and then. I live in NY, so not eating pizza is pretty much blasphemy around these parts. A couple of veggie slices from a medium pizza at my favorite local pizzeria is only 500 calories, which I think is fairly reasonable for a dinner now and then.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    yay!! success.. silly flickr gave me useless url *L* thanks calleja!
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also make my own pizza - I usually use a burrito sized tortilla (173 calories, no fat, 5g fiber in the ones I like) for the crust and top it heaping with low fat cheeses, tomato sauce, veggies and sometimes a little lean ground beef and/or turkey pepperoni (turkey pepperoni is AWESOME!!!! If anyone reads this and has not tried it they must- I don't even like regular pepperoni)

I can make a full sized super filling pizza for anywhere from 250-450 calories depending on what I put on it.

THANK YOU!!! I'M GIVING THIS A TRY THIS WEEKEND!