Toning ?

Options
I am confused...some people say not to try to tone until you lose all the fat and others say to...i thought you were suppose to tone while you lose weight. Why would they say not to weight train?

Replies

• ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    some people think its easier to lose the weight and then tone and lower your body fat %. Technically it is probably better to do them both at the same time.
  • ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    To avoid "sagging skin" after losing the weight is toning. Do add resistance training to your workout routine.

Good luck & God Bless
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    IDK...

Here's the facts!!! Lean muscle burns more fat than... fat... so the more lean muscle you have the more fat you will burn at rest! So... doing weight training will actually help you achieve your weight loss goals FASTER than cardio alone. Don't get me wrong, cardio is EXTREMELY important to weight loss but for over all health and success I say GRAB A WEIGHT!!!
  • sociable15
    Options
    It doesn't hurt to do both at once. You can actually burn more when you're inactive with more muscle so you'll lose fat faster. But you won't see the numbers drop on the scale as fast because muscle weighs more than the fat it's replacing. This is why it's also good to do measurements with a tape measure (waist, neck, etc.)
  • MsScorpio67
    MsScorpio67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Muscle can only help you burn fat. The more muscle you have the more fat you can burn. There will probably be a period where you don't lose any weight and you lose inches. But then the weightloss will follow soon enough. You just have to be patient.
  • FlyEaglesGuy
    FlyEaglesGuy Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    IDK...

Here's the facts!!! Lean muscle burns more fat than... fat... so the more lean muscle you have the more fat you will burn at rest! So... doing weight training will actually help you achieve your weight loss goals FASTER than cardio alone. Don't get me wrong, cardio is EXTREMELY important to weight loss but for over all health and success I say GRAB A WEIGHT!!!

Couldn't have said it better myself !!!
  • Amander88
    Options
    Definitly try to tone while your losing weight. Toning means that you are gaining lean muscle mass which will speed up your matabolism and help you to burn more calories and lose weight fsater. Exercise will 100% compliment your dieting and speed up your results.
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    What would be the reason not to do both? Strength training just improves your muscles, increase reaction to activity, and say the least about making you look good and toned. Cardio helps burn the fat, and improve the cardiac side of the picture. Wouldn't do one without the other personally...More toned and musclar your muscles are the faster the fat is burned off.. It's a win, win situation.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    If you're morbidly obese, it might be easier on your joints to avoid high impact aerobics until you've lost a substantial amount of the fat, but I don't know why anyone, barring a medical reason, would want to avoid low impact cardio and strength training. I mean... other than just not being able to face the need to do it.