How often do you weigh?

Options
Hi! I was just wondering when, and how often do you weigh-in? I'm starting tomorrow and I'm used to weighing everyday but I don't want to get discouraged.

Replies

• ITSSODAMNHOT
    ITSSODAMNHOT Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hi! I was just wondering when, and how often do you weigh-in? I'm starting tomorrow and I'm used to weighing everyday but I don't want to get discouraged.

Once a week should be good enough.
  • tmarie1213
    tmarie1213 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh-in everyday... then yeah, I started to get discouraged. I weigh-in once a week on Fridays and I measure on Fridays as well... in the morning when I'm getting ready for work. Measuring helps a lot cause you don't always notice the numbers dropping on the scale!
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    A few times throughout the day because I am a curious and obsessive sort and I know it's normal to fluctuate so it doesn't bother me when I do. :-) I usually go with a weight in the middle.
  • MsScorpio67
    MsScorpio67 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I did an initial weigh in, but after that, when I would weigh in and get discourage, I just found an article of clothing that I couldn't fit and would try it on every so often until it fit. That will be the next time I weigh in.
  • heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    i weigh everyday in the morning. it can be discouraging when i see the same stinkin' number every day for several days -- or when, God forbid, the number goes UP! but it can also motivate me and encourage me when the number goes down. personal choice though...
  • mjf0461
    mjf0461 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. I want to know I am going in the right direction...
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    i weigh everyday in the morning. it can be discouraging when i see the same stinkin' number every day for several days -- or when, God forbid, the number goes UP! but it can also motivate me and encourage me when the number goes down. personal choice though...

Gosh, this is me too. Lol!
  • Time2BSkinny
    Options
    Thanks for the comments! I'm used to weighing every morning because I'm always curious, but I think I am going to try to weigh every three days? We'll see how it goes.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I've tried weighing once a week and I've tried weighing daily, and I prefer weighing daily. I just accept that there will be fluctuations, ups and downs, and don't let them discourage me. After all, to REALLY have gained that 1.0 lbs, I'd have had to eat 3500 kcals, and I simply haven't.
  • Time2BSkinny
    Options
    Yeah that makes sense! And if you are eating right and exercising, overall you will be losing. If the scale says you've gained, it's probablly water weight and will go down the following day.
  • kittyinaz
    kittyinaz Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I'm so horrible about it -- I weigh daily in the mornings. BUT, I just put my scale up on the top shelf and I'm determined not to weigh in until Friday. And then I'm going to make a huge effort to only weigh on Fridays when I do my video blog.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    General rule of thumb is once a week- try to do it at the same time of day each week when conditions will likely be the same.
    Also- if you doing more than just dieting and include weight training or vigorous exercise in your weight loss program, I suggest investing in a body fat % device that will let you know what your body composition is rather than just giving you a numerical weight read out. Especially for women, weight can really fluctuate based on hormone levels, levels of hydration, etc. Relying solely on the number on the scale as a barometer for your success in transforming your body can be tricky...
  • Time2BSkinny
    Options
    General rule of thumb is once a week- try to do it at the same time of day each week when conditions will likely be the same.
    Also- if you doing more than just dieting and include weight training or vigorous exercise in your weight loss program, I suggest investing in a body fat % device that will let you know what your body composition is rather than just giving you a numerical weight read out. Especially for women, weight can really fluctuate based on hormone levels, levels of hydration, etc. Relying solely on the number on the scale as a barometer for your success in transforming your body can be tricky...

Thanks! Where would you find a body fat % device?
  • skinnyjazz130
    Options
    Every day...I know that's not good but I need to know how certain foods affect my body and whether my body fat is decreasing.
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    You can find a body fat % tool at GNC, Sports Authority, or most other sporting goods stores. I use the Omron brand and really like it. Some scales also have this capability, however I've noticed most body composition scales run upwards of $80-$90, but you can pick up an Omron meter for only about $30. :-)
  • vxmittyxv
    vxmittyxv Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I am one of those obsessive people the check every morning. But I only log it on Tuesdays.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Last time I weighed myself was a month ago. Before that was August 2009. Before that April 2009. You get the gist. Almost never.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning on my way into the shower. I can't NOT do it, and I think I should only be doing it once a week. I was so happy with a 2 pound weight loss last week (weighed on Monday). And then this morning I was up 1.4 pounds. WHATEVER! stupid scale :p:)
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I purposely do not have a scale at home. So I weigh in at work on the shipping scale on Monday & Friday mornings. This way I don't fixate on the number and am not tempted to just jump on the scale because it is in the bathroom. Now I have to walk clear to the other side of the factory to find out my weight. Killing two birds with one stone I guess.
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I was weighing every day till I started working out. Now that I know I am only aiming for a pound or two a week, I have started only weighing twice a week. Tuesdays and Fridays. I am considering only weighing on Fridays from now on... So once a week for weight and body fat % and skeletal muscle %. I am doing twice a month for whole body measurements.