Dieting and Giving Up Smoking

Options
I would love to have friends on here who are not only trying to lose a lot of weight but also have given up smoking recently x I have a bad chest infection and so have been forced to give up smoking and still trying to ditch the pounds x can get quite daunting sometimes x anyone done it???? Need motivation and support xxxx Im Georgina from England xx

Replies

• numnumnums
    numnumnums Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So hard! Hang in there, girlfriend - it only gets easier. Soon you'll be tasting how delicious your healthfully prepared food really is. And just wait 'till you see what quitting smoking does for your skin! For me that was the biggest and most delightful surprise. I'm pullin' 4 ya.
  • rmarshalla
    rmarshalla Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Hey girl! I GOT YOUR BACK. I just started dieting and quite cold turkey the day after my birthday (start Feb 27th). It was rough to start but I haven't smoked since and the diet's going really well!! Lean on me for support or suggestions!!

Whatever you do:
    - stay away from situations where you feel like you "HAVE" to smoke (for example, I allllways smoked when I went out to bars. So, I STOPPED going to bars for 21 days. Plus, alcohol is the ANTI weight loss substance, so without drinking, I have been losing weight AND not smoking!)
    - DO NOT even let your self buy cigarettes!! If you don't have any, it makes it MUCh harder to smoke.
    - Try keeping carrot sticks with you ALL the time. You can use it to help with your cravings for having something in your fingers and near/on your lips. Also, snacking on them regularly will help keep you on track with your diet!

Good luck! YOU CAN DO THIS!

5919160.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
    -Ramana
  • babersbh
    babersbh Posts: 32
    Options
    I too, quit smoking six months ago tomorrow. And the weight I put on....32 pounds....and I didn't need any extra weight as I was already overweight. I also had a terrible chest infection which convinced me to quit and for the first part, felt so lousy that I did not miss the cigarettes. I knew once I started feeling better....I started to crave that cigarette. Hang in there, it does get easier....but even six months later, I still have the odd craving hit me out of the blue!

I have lost a total (including before I started my fitness pal) of 13.8 pounds in the last month! The weight is not dropping off by all means, by the inches are! I have been told that stopping smoking slows your metabolism, so I am making sure that my exercise helps to "get it back in gear".

Good luck and hang in there girl! :)
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    I did it... 2 weeks now. I've gotten more exercise. :happy: Everytime I get a craving I pull out a stick of gum. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't, Instead of reaching for food, I go for a walk or turn on Wii Fit or pull out the weight set.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    I'm sending you a friend request. On again off again with smoking and finally quit a little over 4 weeks ago. :-)
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it now. Not a barrel of fun, but it can be done. I'm two+ weeks without a smoke. and losing a bit too. Friend me, I'll have your back
    Ted
  • Doberwomann
    Options
    Suddenly I don't feel alone x thanx x I'm using nicorette gum which is brilliant at stopping cravings x
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I quit 3 years ago - about 9 months after losing 50 lbs in a fitness challenge. I gained 10 lbs back pretty quick, but it was worth it.

The cravings go away. They do. Smoking is bad, mmmmkay? It's really bad, but you all know this - so I won't lecture, I will just say that you can do it! I smoked for 15 years and just stopped one day......and never looked back!