Brown Rice??

Options
Okay so im asking another question.

What are some good ways to cook brown rice as a side dish while at the same time making it very tasty??

Replies

• amielcampbell
    amielcampbell Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I always boil mine in low sodium chicken broth instead of water! My friend gave me this tip and it makes a WORLD of difference! :)
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My favorite way is just the rice, water, and some "Better than Bullion" (which is sort of a concentrated bullion paste). I'm a card-carrying meat-eater, but for some reason I really love the vegetarian "No Beef" version. I'm sure using stock or broth would work just as well.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I like to add some low sodium chicken stock to my rice. Also if your having it with something like fish lemon juice is also really tasty. You can make it kinda Spanish by adding diced tomatoes and onions.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    I never thought of this, it tastes so much better than white rice anyway. But fix it the same way you would a white rice side dish. I like to add some wild rice to it for a little extra texture though.
  • jenniefromtherock
    jenniefromtherock Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I second that with the broth!! I also bought a rice cooker, very cheap at Walmart! I also am a big fan of frozen veggies! I buy the Artic Garden Classique Spaghetti, coat a pan with pam, cook the veggies and then throw in the rice! Best chicken fried rice I have ever tasted!!
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If there's a Trader Joe's near you, they have frozen organic brown rice that comes in packets. You just microwave it for 3 minutes and then there's 2 servings in each packet. I eat mine with salmon, sauteed green beans and a little bit of low sodium soy sauce. And it's only 160 calories per serving.

Delicious!
  • veggeslady
    Options
    I add rosemarry to it is so yummy!!
  • carajo
    carajo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I did some yesterday with a can of rotel tomatoes, cumin and chili powder(homemade spanish rice) way good!!
  • katschi
    katschi Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    After it's cooked, I like to mix in some salsa. If you can handle the calories, a sprinkling of cheese, melted on top is delicious.
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I like to add some low sodium chicken stock to my rice. Also if your having it with something like fish lemon juice is also really tasty. You can make it kinda Spanish by adding diced tomatoes and onions.

"Fish lemon juice".....ewwwwww! :noway: I'm just kidding! I hope that was a typo...LMAO:laugh:
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Stock is definitely the way to go. If you have trouble cooking rice, you can cook it in the oven. Works great: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/baked-brown-rice-recipe/index.html
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Every time I make it I screw it up and it tastes bitter. :-( Good luck to you though! :-D
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Cook it then give it a shot of lemon juice and lots of fresh chopped parsley. Yum!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I do it in vegetable stock.
  • Sara1978
    Sara1978 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I always make mine in a rice cooker. It's well worth the cost if you eat a lot of rice, in my opinion-- makes it perfect and fluffy every time.
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I can't manage rice. I am rice cursed, so says a chef-ex-boyfriend. I'm a great cook in other regards but I have no instinct for rice making. We can't be good at everything. :)

I use Uncle Ben's 90 second brown rice. There are 3 servings (1/2 c.) in each bag which works out perfectly in my house.