Muscle Soreness and Stretching

Options
I just started using an elliptical for the first time. Two days ago and the first day I had some soreness, but today was much worse. I previously was using a treadclimber, but since I'm now working out at a gym I had to switch. I had an assessment on Monday also in which I did some squats (not sure what kind they were), about two sets of ten.

Anyway, this soreness is in my thighs (front and back) and backside and calfs. I've done some light stretching after working out both days, but nothing heavy. Is this normal? I mean it's not like I did a 30 plus minute workout with the squats. The elliptical I've done 36 minutes each day..

Suggestions would be great on what types of stretches to do and what impact if any does switching cardio machines have on ones muscles.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Go to a Yoga class or two. It will really stretch your muscles out and make everything more prepared to be used more for the Elliptical. Stick with it, it will get easier!
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's normal. Don't worry, Keep training and you'll rarely have mucle pain again.
  • angelarozmyn
    Options
    squats are killer - even when you only do a few - especially if you've never done them before! can take 2-3 days for the soreness to go away
  • _Amy_Budd
    _Amy_Budd Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The elliptical uses different muscles, and I have the exact same experience when I use it after being away from it. First day hurts a little, second day hurts a LOT, 3rd day is a bit better but still hurts, but by the 4th day, it turns from the painful muscles-aching feeling to that great muscles-humming feeling.

And keep stretching after, of course.
  • lanerichardson
    Options
    some of the stretches i do is stand with your legs together and try and touch your toes, then criss cross your legs while standing and touch your toes, then stand with your legs spread wide and cross your left hand to your right foot and then your right hand to your left foot. i also do this while sitting. I would count one two three four one, one two three four two and do that in repetition till you reach ten for each stretch. this should stretch your leg muscles and your lower back muscles as well. there are a few other ways to stretch as well. yoga is one. you can find alot of information on google.
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!