Hi there!

Options
I'm new to myfitnesspal, and joined at the urging of my younger sister (Kate323). I'm trying to re-adjust my eating habits-- I used to eat quite well, but as soon as I started student teaching and having long hours with a long commute, Diet Coke and fast food became my go-to meals. I want to get the eating and working out habits under control before I have a classroom of my own (fingers crossed!) in the fall.

I could use tips about integrating a workout into a busy schedule-- basically I'm up at about 6:15 and leave for school by 6:45 or 7. I'm at school until 5 or 5:30 pm, which means I don't get home until around 6 most nights. By then, I'm exhausted and still have work to do- grading, planning, or (oh right!) school work, since I'm also in grad school. I don't really get a lunch break (I usually work and plan with my mentor teacher through lunch), so taking a walk or working out then is pretty much out. I usually work on schoolwork or planning/grading till around 8, and by then I just want to watch a bit of TV or read and go to bed. I don't have the energy to do much else. Any ideas or tips would be much, much appreciated. :)

Replies

• alebalestra
    alebalestra Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just before to seat to grade and plan, go to the gym or take a walk... you will feel much better and with energy after exercise. I used to be really sedentary, but last year I changed and feel much much better.
  • bebababy
    bebababy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    wow you sound exhausted! lol. firstly, congrats on student teaching and joining myfitnesspal. i have been on since i think march at my husband's urging. i think you are off to a good start by changing your eating habits of the fast foods and diet drinks both of which are terrible terrible for you. making time for yourself is the number one priority. as far as exercise maybe play with the kids at recess if you are in elementary. if not, during lunch walk the track or the halls using the stairs for part of your lunch break. you will see a major difference. my husband and his friends starting running the stairs at work and lost like 5 pounds in a couple of weeks! but you know guys lose quicker than women so don't get discourage!

plan ahead to pack your lunches that you make for yourself. remember to eat several small means throughout the day and don't bypass small amounts of carbs in the afternoon and evening which will help with energy. it is amazing how much calories is in fast food and great restaurants like cheesecake factory versus you making it yourself. For example, i went to chic a fila and ordered a chicken ceasar wrap which was loaded in sodium and like 400 calories. i couldn't believe it and only ate half. but when i decided to try to make it myself i was able to eat a whole wrap for only 276 calories!! Girl how crazy is that, right? last example because i am venting it just happened this past week. :) it was my birthday so i went to cheesecake factory for breakfast ordered french toast with fresh strawberries and such why was this thing 1700 calories!! i at one piece and brought the rest home to my 19 year old son who is trying to gain weight LOL!!!

I am glad while i was waiting on the order i looked it up on my fitness. I love the app for my phone because it really helps to keep me on program. I have about 25 pounds to lose and for the first time i really believe i can do it.!! good luck to you.
  • Holly_3
    Holly_3 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi....If you have an Android or an Iphone you should be able to download an app called Free Ab Workout and one called Free Butt workout. I have both they take a total of 20 minutes (10 minutes each). They both have 10 30 second workouts. I love em both and do them 2 times a day. They are good if you are every busy. I hope this helps you out as far as working out goes. You can do them in the morning before work and right before bed. I have noticed a change in my body lost 6 lbs. and believe it or not it actually helps me fall asleep easier. Like I said I hope this helps you out. I see you are busy but maybe you could squeeze them in at some point :). Good Luck!!
  • bsundgren
    bsundgren Posts: 11
    Options
    That sounds awesome! I have a Blackberry right now, but I'm upgrading to an iPhone this weekend (finally!). As soon as I get it, that will be the first app I download. :) Thanks!
  • bebababy
    bebababy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    oh i am going to check that out too.
  • bsundgren
    bsundgren Posts: 11
    Options
    That is such a great idea, and I usually just move from one seated activity to the next because I feel like I just have to get it all done-- I need to remember that getting up and moving around will help me concentrate and give me energy when I sit down to the next stack of stuff. Thanks!
  • miami_mimi
    miami_mimi Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    wow reading your post just made me super tired! lol. Just like you I follow a very hectic schedule and two mornings per week I take a bootcamp class at 5:15am, even though it seems like yet another activity to your schedule, it makes a huge difference with my energy levels and self-esteem. maybe there is something similar in your area, also there are great work out DVD's that can be done in 10 to 20 minutes.. such can also be a great addition... well let's all have fun and a great night!