Help with busy schedule & workouts?

Options
I could use tips about integrating a workout into a busy student teaching schedule...

Basically I'm up at about 6:15 and leave for school by 6:45 or 7. I'm at school until 5 or 5:30 pm, which means I don't get home until around 6 most nights. By then, I'm exhausted and still have work to do- grading, planning, or (oh right!) school work, since I'm also in grad school at the moment. I don't really get a lunch break (I usually work and plan with my mentor teacher through lunch), so taking a walk or working out then is pretty much out. I usually work on schoolwork or planning/grading till around 8, and by then I just want to watch a bit of TV or read and go to bed. I don't have the energy to do much else.

Any ideas or tips for integrating workouts would be much, much appreciated. I enjoy running on the elliptical (but hate running in real life), biking, walking, and weight lifting.

Replies

• MissbusyLizzie
    MissbusyLizzie Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If you have reading to do jump on the treadmill and do it while walking! It isn't a sweat dripping work out- but it burns calories and it is better than just sitting and reading! Also- my new thing is parking far away and walking the extra distance. Lots of little things add up. :) I would say set a schedule so you know which days you need to get a good work out. Make it apart of your schedule like everything else! You are constantly tired, overworked, underpaid (ha! what paid! you are basically working for free)... I know, I have been there recently!! But you make time to get your assignments done. Make working out one of your assignments!

Also swimming is awesome. Its a whole body workout with low impact on your joints. I <3 swimming!!
  • keffy
    keffy Posts: 13
    Options
    It seems like you're asking the impossible :) My mom works in a school too, and she's fortunate enough to be able to walk there and back. She also makes time to walk at lunch. I don't know how possible it is to change your lunch routine and find a different time for planning? I work in an office for about 10 hours a day and I forced myself to do whatever possible to have my lunch hour for me and to get out for a walk at lunch. This also gave me a lot of energy throughout the day and made doing schoolwork at night much more focused. Maybe giving yourself time with make other time more efficient when you're working?
  • DJmom44
    DJmom44 Posts: 91
    Options
    Do you have a pedometer? You might be getting in the 10,000 steps a day that's recommended. Give it a try and see how much activity you're doing already. And I agree with the person who said to park farther away...it helps.