Quick and healthy breakfast foods?

Options
I leave the house by about 6:45 every morning and do not have the time or energy to actually cook or prepare much of anything before I leave. It's a stretch for me to make oatmeal... which I think is saying something. I am willing to change my ways, but I really want to have some great quick, easy, and healthy breakfast ideas-- because I know it's unrealistic for me to make a healthy egg-white scramble concoction every morning (and why set myself up for failure?).

What do you guys like that's quick, easy, tasty, and healthy for breakfast-- preferably something I can eat on the go?

Replies

• MeredithLee11
    MeredithLee11 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I really like Carnation Instant Breakfast powders with milk. It's a good source of protein, especially with the milk. I'm not a big fan of eating first thing in the morning so they're my go-to breakfast almost every day. They do have a substantial amount on sugar though, but they have a no sugar added one as well though I can't stand the taste of the sucralose in it.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I normally have a couple of packets of strawberries and cream instant oatmeal with a chopped up banana, toast with peanut butter and sliced banana, a bagel with 1/3 less fat strawberry cream cheese, or eggo multigrain blueberry waffles (no syrup). Most of the time I also make some scrambled egg substitute with salsa, but you said you were looking for quick and everything. :)

I think time-wise the waffles would be the best. Just pop 'em in your toaster then wrap in a napkin to eat on-the-go. (Btw, they're only 180 calories for two waffles, which is ridiculously low for a breakfast if you ask me. Haha)
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    My regular breakfast is berries (strawberries or blueberries) with non-fat unsweetened greek yogurt and a little bit of Uncle Sam's cereal. Plus 2 ounces of Boar's Head Tavern Ham

My fast breakfast is 1 c. of Kashi Go Lean and 1 c. skim milk, plus 2 ounces of ham

My OMG I have no time breakfast is a Clif Builder's bar and a tall bottle of water.
  • north35
    north35 Posts: 70
    Options
    Could you bring your breakfast to work and have it there?

I love bite size shredded wheat with banana and skim milk.
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Make your own MRE (meals ready to eat) by cooking in larger batches and setting up your servings/meals ahead of time. Then just grab, toss into microwave or pack for work and go!

Steel Cut Oats and Oatmeal can be made 2-3 days at a time and portions and reheated well in a microwave. I actually did a weeks worth of SCO but by the end of the week they were getting on the off side. You can also make up your eggs ahead of time too. Use a muffin pan - put each days' portion into a muffin cup sprayed with your favorite non-stick stuff, bake until done (350 for maybe 10-15 minutes?) and pop out ready for an english muffin, bagel or mini omlette. These would freeze well too. You could lightly toast the EM's and stack together with a sausage patty and presto! Instant bsundgren-dean breakfast sammies! Best of all you control what's in/on it and can switch it up as you like!

Instant oatmeal is a good option too - get some containers, some quick cook oats, mix up your favorite spice combination and or fruit/nut mixture - portion, cover and when you're ready boil some water, add to mix, stir, cover for 5 minutes and presto! Breakfast in the palm of your hands! I do these the cereal things for a quick hot breakfast at work. It's cheaper and more nutritious than the flavored instant oatmeals and you can have your own variety pack to suit your tastes. Also great for the (slightly older) kids b/c all they need is the water. Everything is ready to go no fuss & no mess!

Pancakes also freeze well so make up a bunch, put 2-3 together for you in a zip lock baggie and freeze. Pop them in the toaster when you're ready to eat on a low setting or in a microwave if you prefer. You an do the same thing with waffles too - make them yourself (using whole wheat flour or oatmeal or combination) for slower burning carbs and better control over what you're eating.

There is a lot of things you can do - just set your mind to cooking one or two times a week for the rest of the days. Preparation is the key to success and not falling victim to grabbing for convenience.
  • JessJoJell
    Options
    I had the same problem but now I eat bagel thins and put weight watchers cream cheese on them and eat it on the way. less then 170 calories yet still pretty filling. Good luck!
  • muellerm
    muellerm Posts: 1
    Options
    you'll want something with filling fiber and protein to keep you feeling fuller longer. Try an apple and string cheese. its great to eat fruit in the morning- helps get your digestive system going and you really shouldn't eat fruit unless it's on an empty stomach because then it just ferments and doesnt digest and absorb as quickly. Ideally, have some fruit on your way to work. If able, about 1000 have some toast with PB or oatmeal with raisins. Apples are actually GREAT at giving you energy- more then a cup of coffee... give it a shot!
  • stargazer008
    Options
    I'm rushed in the morning too so I just grab Kashi Cinnamon harvest organic cereal with soy milk.
  • zgolub
    zgolub Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese (1 or 2% fat), about a cup and a tangerine in the morning. You get the fiber, some carb and tons of protein. quick to eat, or carry with you to go as cottage cheese container is small.

also, whole rye/whole grain bread with fat free turkey breast or a smear of peanut butter is quick.

but the best advice I can give you, is wake up 15 min earlier and get some protein and fiber in you. its so important to start your day off feeling full and giving your body the energy it needs to start burning calories.
  • Shadowcasting
    Shadowcasting Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I make up some hard boiled eggs and keep them in the fridge. I grab two and a piece of whole-wheat toast on my way out the door.

I like the South Beach cinnamon and raisin bars, but they're not quite hearty enough to last all morning. I usually pair it with one of the hard boiled eggs (or 2 depending on how hungry I am!)

Sometimes I'll grab an english muffin with a piece of turkey. Not too bad.