Options
CriticalX
CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
is sugars out of bananas bad for u?

Replies

• elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    My opinion is that the natural sugars in fruits are fine in moderation.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    The sugar in a banana (or any other fruit for that matter) is a natural sugar. It is MUCH better than table sugar or sugar from a brownie for example. I've seen some other discussion threads where others have commented that if they are over their recommendation for sugar for the day they are not concerned if the source of that sugar is from fruits. Of course I suppose it's possible to overdue a good thing too - you don't want to eat 100% of your calories from fruit! That would be overkill. :happy:
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals and where you are at in your fitness/dieting lifestyle. They have great potasium, but so do avocados (which don't have as much sugar). I'm trying to lose weight, so I avoid sugar as much as possible -- until I get to my goal. My philosophy is veggies first and then fruit as a treat/dessert. Opinions will vary of course, but it's whatever works for you and your personal goals.
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    but what so bad bout sugars? my carbs are low
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    but what so bad bout sugars? my carbs are low

This is mostly about HFCS, but he talks about glucose, sucrose etc. and how the body metabolizes sugars. Good info.
    Nothing wrong with bannanas in moderation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM
  • pixietoes
    pixietoes Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Your brain needs sugar to survive. Sugar in moderation is a good thing and best taken with a dose of fiber and or protein.

Fortunately bananas give you fiber. If you eat one with some peanut butter or other source of protein even better. Some people will tell you they are sensitive to certain foods. If you find eating bananas does not bring on cravings and does not leave you with too many carbs and not enough protein in your intake, then enjoy them. I eat some fruit every day, we all should.