Nutrition Parameters Set by MFP - Accurate???

Options
Just wondering if the nutrition parameters set by MFP are accurate. For the most part I stay within my alotted calories, carb, sugar and sodium intake and almost always go over on my protein and fiber. I know a person can manually adjust these, but what is a reasonable amount of sodium, ect for a healthy, balanced diet......everyone seem soooo concerned with sodium, carbs and sugar that I start to get a little concerned if I even get close to what I am alotted. If there is more information on this somewhere else...just point me in the right direction. Thanks!!

Replies

• tabi26
    tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I feel like they are accurate. I don't know for sure though. You should jsut do whatever works for you. I know that if eat alot of carbs then I never lose weight. So I watch my carbs pretty closely. Also, I don't know how I do it but I very rarely even get half of the sodium they say I can have :) If what you're doing is working for you, then it really doesn't matter if it's accurate or not.
  • Ninjitsu
    Ninjitsu Posts: 163
    Options
    Protein is off by quite a bit (for anyone wanting to build muscle or tone) as far as I can tell.

Other than that most of it SEEMS to be fairly accurate (being based on a generic nutrition model)
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    The sodium default setting that I've seen on here is 2500 mg, the new dietary guidelines set that at 1500mg beyond that if you follow the goals (adjust protein / fiber if you desire to) you can lose weight here.
  • jenthestrawberry
    jenthestrawberry Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to United States Department of Agriculture Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) for all nutrients categorized by age and gender.

For a female between 31-50 they recommend:

Carbs: Upper limit of 130g
    Sugar: Not defined as separate from carbs.
    Sodium: 2.3g
    Protein: 46g
    Fiber: 28g

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=4&tax_level=2&tax_subject=256&topic_id=1342

Keep in mind, as other posters have said that if you have specific goals, i.e. muscle building while losing fat these number may not reflect your needs.
  • kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Here is the link to United States Department of Agriculture Dietary Reference Intakes (DRIs) for all nutrients categorized by age and gender.

http://fnic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=4&tax_level=2&tax_subject=256&topic_id=1342

Keep in mind, as other posters have said that if you have specific goals, i.e. muscle building while losing fat these number may not reflect your needs.

I did not look at the link, but these numbers for carbs, protein, (and fat even though you didn't list it) should not just be based on age and gender but weight as well and the number of calories you are consuming.
  • skinnyhopes
    skinnyhopes Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I think that everything is ok, except for the sodium. For a 1200 calorie diet, it should be 1500 instead of 2500.
  • jenthestrawberry
    jenthestrawberry Posts: 93 Member
    Options

I did not look at the link, but these numbers for carbs, protein, (and fat even though you didn't list it) should not just be based on age and gender but weight as well and the number of calories you are consuming.

Those are the generic upper limits. On the page there is also a calculator which includes those things for more specific information.